in general ,your opinions on double wicking ?????

This is just me personally... I don't like the look of a double wicked candle. I'd rather go with a smaller container and single wick.

Technically, nothing wrong with them if wicked properly.. I would just never make one myself.

We double wick because we just couldn't get one wick to do the job with our wax and jar combo.

Our customers like it - looks different than what they can buy at most stores - but I don't know if it makes that much of a difference.

I really dislike double wicking/double wicked candles. I used to treat myself about once a year to a multi-wicked candle and they never burned right for me. I think it just put a bad taste in my mouth, I'd rather just deal with one wick now.

honestly what do you think or feel when you see a double wicked candle

Depends on the container or pillar size. If it's 4" or under, I honestly think the maker didn't test enough large wicks. If the container is 4"+ and over, I honestly think that the makers couldn't easily locate larger wicks and gave up trying to single wick.

For example - the CDN wicks I use are manufactured in sizes 2-30, but the closest supplier (JBN) carries only sizes 8-22. That leaves 6 smaller sizes and 4 larger size wicks I'd like to have on hand to test, but can't get hold of easily without ordering 3,000 of each size from WickIt. Even Wicks Unlimited doesn't carry them in a size over 22...:undecided It's aggravating as heck, but I understand that suppliers can't sit on thousands of wicks of every type and size waiting for someone to come along once a year to order a few, so smaller customers are forced to compromise. :rolleyes2

I guess I'm the odd one here but I like double wicked jars. I double wick my apothecary jars and they burn great. They are 4" wide. I've gotten some that are single wicked and they didn't burn that well. I've never tried single wicking my apoth jars. My customers all like the double wicks

I've both double wicked and single wicked apothecary jars depending on the wax and how it burned. I don't mind either way. What I do mind is having a candle that burns well and is properly wicked.

I used to buy those large 3 wick candles at Bed, Bath, and Beyond years ago until I got a couple that weren't wicked properly. The wicks kept going out and I was steamed! It also turned me off of buying those candles again so I haven't tried any in a long time.

But the first time I had a triple wicked it must have been a different brand because it burned very nice and I loved the look of 3 wicks burning.

I am a fan of double wicking too. I use palm wax and tried every wick that I could get my hands on in my apoth jars. I could get a wick to burn all the way to the edges but it left a soot film on the inside of the jar. IMHO that defeated the whole point of switching to a natural wax. IF wicked properly there should not be that much of a difference in burn time when burning a double wicked candle because you are having 2 smaller wicks doing the work of one huge one. If it is the right size then it should burn just as efficiently as one large wick, just without the extra sooting/smoking. Atleast in my experiences in testing *my* wax & wicks. I realize that results will vary with different waxes & wicks.

I went thru all the CD wicks and the ECO's still gave me a better burn in these IMO. I actually retested all my wicks just to be sure last summer after going to the BC convention and seeing Bruce's wick testing demo (from Wicks Unlimited) and decided to stay with double ECO's.

From a customer point of view, (And I have asked ALOT of people about this)

NOBODY CARES!!! LOL

Really customers don't buy candles based on the number of wicks. They prefer to base judgment on scent, size, burn quality. <---- In that order.

So that being said, wicking single, double or more should be based on the getting the burn quality down.

I mean seriously how ridiculous would a jelly jar look with 3 wicks ?:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

From a customer point of view, (And I have asked ALOT of people about this)

NOBODY CARES!!! LOL

Really customers don't buy candles based on the number of wicks. They prefer to base judgment on scent, size, burn quality. <---- In that order.

So that being said, wicking single, double or more should be based on the getting the burn quality down.

I mean seriously how ridiculous would a jelly jar look with 3 wicks ?:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Well said Tess. But, I do think some people are opposed to DW'ing because they aren't really sure how to do it so they don't even bother. I DW if necessary, but I have a widemouth jelly jar that I won't DW because I think it looks funny. Because I won't DW this jar, there are some FOs I can't use in that jar. As for a DW'd jar burning faster than a jar with one wick, I personally don't think the burn time is that much of a difference to forego DW'ing when it will give you a better burn. JMO.