This may be a dumb question on Tarts but

RetroMetroChic

Well you need to test before you allow a customer to pick what they want....even if they like a scent, it may no perform in your wax well...

You wont know that until you test for yourself, before letting the customer pick it out. It might have a okay cold throw but no hot throw.....you just never know.

Hope this helps,

Jessica

Thanks you:yay:

Oh only one because I am letting the customer pick the scent

I have so many scents

so they can pick any scent so I sometimes need to make just one..

Why do you think its better to do in batchs? curious?

Maybe somewhere down the road someone else might want to pick one tart in that same scent. So if you make at least a pound of them, it will already be made. Makes sense to me.

This has got to be a trick question... you don't know how to calculate how much FO to add to batches, yet you have customers???

There seems to be a few like this on the board. They are new to this, still full of very basic questions that can be answered by using the search feature and yet they are already out there selling in a few months time. And they are already looking to expand to B&B as well. They all must have purchased that deluxe starter kit and be on the learning fast track.

Hi, you are definitely better off making larger batches (at least 10 times that), they will be alot more consistent (margin for error is much bigger the smaller the measurements) and it does mean a ton less work on your part (washing up a pot and instruments for 1 tart). You can store them safely and they'll keep their scent. Also you REALLY REALLY do need to figure out the math because you'll be using it constantly. Just open your little windows Calculator and put in:

(wax amount in OUNCES) x 0.06

(that is what you are scenting at right now (6%)...which is pretty much the minimum, you can go higher for tarts)

Just write it down on a sticky or something.

Also, that is a 2oz tart right? That is kind of big and too big for alot of burners out there. The Yankee tarts are 0.8oz for example.

Also as everyone else said, please do test all your your fragrances. You don't need to carry hundreds of scents, this just overwhelms people. Just because it's out there doesn't mean it'll throw good. You need to start on the right foot and selling tarts that don't throw will upset your customers.

I will be completely honest and tell you I'm very worried about you selling tarts at this point, you seem very inexperienced and in a hurry to be making money....be smart and do it right.

I hope this helps.

Melany

Thanks for your concern but I am not new to this business I've had my online store for 8 years. I have made tarts in the past and decided to start doing it again since many of my B&B customers wanted them! Then I decided to let them pick the scent (however I am limiting that to scents that work in tarts as I carry over 263 scents atm) Since I carry so many scents this is what my customers want choice (and that is why I am giving it to them!)

Since I never made one at a time before I wasn't sure how to figure the math on it!!

I've been a member of the scentreview board for years and a lurker here for a while and decided to join...

Now I feel afraid to even ask questions :confused:

And I do use the search option very frequently!!

I joined this board in hopes of getting help with things I may question as well as to help others who have questions !

Thanks for your concern but I am not new to this business I've had my online store for 8 years. I have made tarts in the past and decided to start doing it again since many of my B&B customers wanted them! Then I decided to let them pick the scent (however I am limiting that to scents that work in tarts as I carry over 263 scents atm) Since I carry so many scents this is what my customers want choice (and that is why I am giving it to them!)

Since I never made one at a time before I wasn't sure how to figure the math on it!!

I've been a member of the scentreview board for years and a lurker here for a while and decided to join...

I joined this board in hopes of getting help with things I may question as well as to help others who have questions !

I've been a member here for years and still get reamed. So ask away, ignore some and enjoy/listen to others. We have all been there.

I have a web site where my customers can and do pick 1 scent from a whole bunch. So I have had to make 1 tart many times. I use 1.5 oz for most FO per lb of wax so I just go with 1oz wax .1 FO. I also have a 4 quart pitcher for every scent I carry so sometimes I have some left, I can heat up and pour. If your making soy tarts it's better not to pour a bunch ahead cause they start looking bad, sometimes.

LOL - but now you can understand why alot of new people - dont ask questions... you get reamed as Sharon put it. I just figure it this way.. we all have to learn one way or another and most people are willing to help out cause they remember they were also new to this at one point in time.

I try not to take too much personally. I hope you dont either.

You know I have been a crafter for many many years. I make crafts and mistakes almost everyday. Because of the wealth of information you folks so generously share I have started making my own tarts, room spray and wickless candles. Now I just placed an order from ky for some base lotion and I plan on asking alot of question. To those who roll thier eyes at how "stupid" my questions are going to be, please don't feel the need to judge me or my capabilities. I'm sure I could teach you a few things.

Well said Farmhouse Treasures...I have been making candles off and on for over 30 years, more seriously as a business for the past 6 years...earn a living from it, and only just this year will be opening our first storefront this fall. I too have questions still....it's an ongoing learning process. I try and help those that ask, and appreciate the help when I ask as well. Unfortunately, there are some those here that feel they are better than everyone else....well just remember those early days when YOU were starting out....and put yourselves in the place of those that are doing just that. To those that are just starting out...never be afraid to ask...there is no such thing as a dumb question...and i invite anyone who has a question to PM me...and I will do my best to answer. There is a wealth of information here, never hesitate to learn from it. :rockon:

Do you have Microsoft excel? If you do I have a spreadsheet that all you have to do is put in the FO % and how many ounces of wax you are going to use and it will calcualate the FO amount for ya. Let me know and I'll email it to ya.

Sandy~WI

I know I need to use 1oz of fo for a lb of wax..

Okay so if I am making only 1 2 oz tart how much f.o. ???

I never was great at math:rolleyes2

• 1 month later...

Applause!

I'm glad to see you standing up for yourself! There are a few ppl here...as I'm sure you know...that can be a little.. uhmmm "less than helpful" to put it nicely. Those rude answers were just uncalled for. I'll bet half the ppl on this board were wanting to know how to calculate for very small amts of wax...but were "afraid" to even ask because of peeps like this. Those who "seem" to know everything ...and expect that you should too! Or those who seem to know everything because they have 2,000+ posts...most of which were rudely posted b'coz they did not know the REAL answers...or else just complete worthless dribble that's pretty much meaningless. Like "Yeah...I saw that too"....just to bump up their number of posts here and make themselves "look more important"! It seems if you have less than 1,000 or so posts you're not "worthy" of some of the "posting goddesses" answering you without disdain...but I'd be willing to bet that those few who answered with such "venom" had NO idea what the answer was. :laugh2:

We should all keep in mind that JUST because someone is new to this community board does NOT, in ANYway, shape, form or fashion, mean that they're amateurs...or beginners...nor stupid!!

Some of those ppl just joining (with only a few posts) may just know much more than those who have been here since the very beginning. On the other hand...4,000+ posts does NOT necessarily mean that that person is a "professional" at anything. It MAY just mean that they have a big mouth and/or just like to "look" important and knowledgeable. :angry2:

JM2C.

Good luck to you Retro!

Donna (Mt Annie)

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:WTG!

Applause!

I'm glad to see you standing up for yourself! There are a few ppl here...as I'm sure you know...that can be a little.. uhmmm "less than helpful" to put it nicely. Those rude answers were just uncalled for. I'll bet half the ppl on this board were wanting to know how to calculate for very small amts of wax...but were "afraid" to even ask because of peeps like this. Those who "seem" to know everything...because they have 2,000+ posts...most of which were rudely posted b'coz they did not know the REAL answers...or else just complete worthless dribble that's pretty much meaningless. Like "Yeah...I saw that too"....just to bump up their number of posts here and make themselves "look more important"! It seems if you have less than 1,000 or so posts you're not "worthy" of some of the "posting goddesses" answering you without disdain...but I'd be willing to bet that those few who answered with such "venom" had NO idea what the answer was. :laugh2:

We should all keep in mind that JUST because someone is new to this community board does NOT, in ANYway, shape, form or fashion, mean that they're amateurs...or beginners...nor stupid!!

Some of those ppl just joining (with only a few posts) may just know much more than those who have been here since the very beginning. On the other hand...4,000+ posts does NOT mean that that person is a professional. It MAY just mean that they have a big mouth and/or just like to "look" important and knowledgeable. :angry2:

JM2C.

Good luck to you Retro!

Donna (Mt Annie)

Well said girls (I mean ladies and gents, lol) who gave respectful and unvengeful advice to Retro....You all were totally correct. I remember when I first joined here and hadn't posted but a few times and was put down and reamed by a long time member of this sitee and I too was embarrassed and felt like a fool but I stood up for my actions to this particular person and all has faired well so far. I find this site to be a very extremely informative site with such a wealth of knowledge from the members here...and I learn so much everytime I come here...Being that it is an open board is even more wonderful, but just like most open boards you do have your smartass people and people like all the guys just said people who think they know it all and don't think about other peoples feelings and that not everyone takes things in perspective as they think they would be doing..for whatever reason...and peoples feelings do get hurt and they judge others when who are they to begin with? Well, like everyone said, just post away and no matter how rediculous or dumb a question is you might have, as it isn't a dumb question as we are all here to learn and experiment and exchange ideas and everyone, even all the most experienced and wizest of them all still learn.

Trappeur

Some people just have to beat up on others to make themselves feel better. It's a symptom of someone having an inferiority complex. Oh, and they tend to group together to re-inforce each other ... a narcisistic ccoperative so they can all share in the thrill of victory.

Some of the old-timers around here have mentioned seeing the same questions over and over. Sometimes new people just need to be directed to the search feature.

I have learned a lot, too; even after a decade of production!

...and so it goes...the days of our lives. or something like that. :laugh2:

I personally think it is dumb to make one tart, but go for it if you want - no skin off my nose. The only thing I would caution is to make sure your scale is accurate to whatever tiny amount of FO you are going to use. Some I have seen are only accurate to .5 or .25 of an ounce.

>>> I personally think it is dumb to make one tart

Not if you have a large customer database..with customers always requesting small samples. Whether it's 'dumb' or not really depends on your own situation. I've personally never made just one tart...but I can certainly see WHY someone MIGHT make just 1.. and it isn't dumb at all to pour just a few at a time.

Let me explain for those who just aren't gettin it: (for whatever reason) :rolleyes2

We own a shop, as well as having an online shop, and I'm constantly being asked for sampler packs of 2 or 4...(and yes, even ONE)...on up to 6-8 pack samplers because we offer a LOT of different scents. (Our scent list is readily available to all of our customers ...online & off) In our case, if you're talking about pouring up 1 or 2 lbs of tarts each and every time a customer wants to sample a new scent...then I'd VERY quickly have a house and shop FULL of nothing but tarts that may..or may NOT...sell well! Now THAT would be DUMB!

I usually pour no less than 6-8 for customer sampling...but if RetroChic thinks it's worth the chance that this customer will make a rather large "future" purchase (which usually happens with us) then it's certainly feasible to only pour up a few at a time. After all...it only takes a very short few mins to pour, pop out and bag...and then you have the potential of making a larger sale from that small sampler..as opposed to having countless LBS of tarts already poured and no place to display or store them! Besides...that's wasting a LOT of wax and FO...which you could use for other incoming orders and for those tarts that are constantly needing re-stocked. HTH.

Oh, and I'll add this: Many times those few minutes that it took to pour up a small pack of samplers more than paid off....turning into rather large, full-blown candle orders. :smiley2:

~Mt Annie~