Valuable Lesson !!!

ljhenry

DO NOT PUT YOUR FRAGRANCE OILS IN STYROFOAM BOWLS! I just measured out my fragrance oils and put them in a small styrofoam bowl until I get to that point. I set it aside while I am waiting on the lye solution to cool down. Came back to check the temperature of the lye and had pepperberry all over my counter top. It had melted the bottom of the bowl out. Lesson learned. 14.gif

PS - Wonder how long my hands are going to smell like this. Not that great on my recent manicure either. Kinda melts the nail polish a little.

This is what I was working on. It is just poured, sort of. Son called me from Chicago and I got distracted. I know, I know, a big no no.

This is fragranced with Pepperberry, a little sandalwood and vanilla. I am not sure how it is going to turn out. I used charcoal in the top layer and no coloring in the bottom. Tried to swirl it a bit, bit it was a bit thick. For kicks, I added a little sparkly mica to the top. We'll see tomorrow hwo it goes tomorrow. 17.gif

Well, I'll tell ya, I had never read anything about any thing about that happening before. But, I'll keep my little bowls for measuring dry ingredients and things like that. They are very handy, cheap and I can just throw them away.

I accidentally dribbled some FO on the top of my scale where you set the item being weighed, and it scarred it. I could not believe it. Luckily we dilute these FOs a LOT in our bath and body products!

This happened to me with anise ate through a layer of my scale & all I did was spill a drip :rolleyes2 I also melted half my table cloth a couple months ago I mixed up a nice fo combo in glass set it on the table & somehow it got dumped over. My house smelled like coconut lime for weeks lol.

I accidentally dribbled some FO on the top of my scale where you set the item being weighed, and it scarred it. I could not believe it. Luckily we dilute these FOs a LOT in our bath and body products!

Me too but I have spilled lye on it too. My scale looks so pathetic. It has stains, nicks and rings.

i think we all learn lessons the hard way sometimes..

i found at the dollar store, the neatest glass, it is about 6-8oz and has a pour spout..so handy for measureing and pouring your oils..they were 2 for $1.00..check it out maybe your will have them..they are were all the cups, coffee cups, and glasses are..

i love the pour spout, it seems without it i am always spilling some..

I learned that lession also. I made some of the carded airfresheners and wanted to lay them on something to dry them completely. So I got a styrofoam plate and laid them on that. When I went back they had eaten thru the plate and were laying on the counter top!! Guess we have all done something like that at one time or another.

I know I have....I now measure my FO's into some little stoneware ramekins that I never use for anything else.

Another valuable lesson I learned was not to put my soaping equipment in the dishwasher w/o rinsing it very well first. Lawrence Welk would have been envious of the bubbles in the kitchen!

I measure out fo's into small stainless steel cups. I pour it from the bottle, resting the lip of the bottle onto a pipette.

The fo just slides down the pipette into the cup.

I splashed some fo on a wooden table one time. It truly sucked.

Melted the finish and had to fix it later on.

Guest Ox_B_love

i heard about the FOs eating through certain things. I was transferring bottles of oils the other day and i was scared to because i heard that there are certain bottles made for holding FOs:D

Using plastic is fine as long as you know what you're using. Just look for the recycling code on the bottom.

The best materials are high density polyethylene (HDPE, code 2), which is what your FO usually comes in. Polypropylene (code 5) is one of the best things in general for chemical resistance. A lot of food storage containers are made of it.

FO will melt right through styrofoam or polystyrene (code 6) cups. A lot of non-clear plastic bathroom cups, drinking cups, and those brightly-colored party cups are polystyrene, so you have to watch out for that. It's actually the same material as styrofoam, just un-puffed.

Just to add to the list of things that FO eats through:

Contact paper.

I recycled an old desk by covering the top of it in contact paper so that the little nicks and digs didn't get filled with soap/wax or where the digs exposed wood that FO didn't seep in.

I've got several "rings" where the FO started eating through the contact paper. Luckly, it seems that rubbing alcohol cleans it enough to stop the melting and I use an all-natural degreaser after that to kill the oily residue when I make spills.

I use the little glass flower pot votive cups. They hold quite a bit. I did the plastic cup routine once too. My poor scale looks like it came through WWII. I even covered it with foil to protect it and FO pretty much eats it up also.Glo