A Rant: New Yanke e Beanswax (100% Soy) Candles

Hi guys, forgive me if this has been posted already, I did a quick search and didn't find anything! I just felt a strong need to rant about this, I feel violated and traumatized LMAO! I know, exaggerating a little....but GEEESH!

I was in a local gift shop looking at candles and tarts for ideas on what is available around here (I sell 100% soy candles and tarts, been making them for a few years now) and saw the new Yankmee 100% Soy Candles. 25$ CAD for a 9oz white tumbler. Ok, I thought the gift store had them really overpriced, NOPE, they are 20$ US on the Yankee site (Med. Tumbler). I sell mine at 10$ for same size. Anyways I KNOW what it costs me to make these, I can't imagine they pay a fraction of what I pay for my supplies. It's a crime really and I feel so bad for people who will buy these and the kickier is they all smelled terrible!!! They probably tunnel like crazy too, like the usual Yankee candle. At least Yankee's normal candles have a decent cold throw. They had 5 kinds I think, all foody, and they smelled like fuel or something and very faint.

On a good note, there's no way Yankme's addition of these soy candles will really hurt us, just the opposite. I know what my candles smell like and how much they cost and I feel much better now!

These are mine BTW, just sharing!

Soy Candles - Group Shot

Triple Layer Large Soy Candle - Christmas Collection

Probably not as cute as the Yankme ones (like their labels, not the all white candles so much). I'm so proud of my little babies!!!

I know most people like us, I mean people who make candles at home (no matter what kind of wax), take GREAT pride in what they do and care about their products and customers and it's just a shame when a company puts out inferior products at such outrageous prices. I really hope I don't come out as a mean person, I truly not in the least. Also, I would NOT rant and bash another company, no matter who it is, to my customers. That doesn't help my image but among us I think it's fine! I will however be happy to mention Yankme's prices on candles!! I just really felt the need to rant about these, even though they are probably a good thing for us!

Melany

Don't like Yankee ..never liked Yankee...don't see what the infatuation with Yankee is...they top scent their candles and just rip off the customer .

Your candles look lovely. Where did you get your jars?

Great tags and presentation!

Mary Lou

Do you mind sharing where you get your jars/lids? Those are beautiful and i have been looking everywhere for those types of lids....

I saw these yanks as well and really was surprised...sad thing is, you have people that look at your own products and say, sheesh thats high. I got a yank candle for Christmas that I have been burning. (it was a gag gift) The thing has no scent what's so ever past 1/4 way down. It had severe wet spots and the wick is crooked in the jar. I would not give them 2.00 for this large candle. Its a shame really because they "used" to be halfway decent candles...wonder what happened?

Hi guys, about the lids....do you mean the small or large jars? I'm in Canada and get my candle supplies at Village Craft and Candles and also Canwax. The small jars are just the little square mason jars with a seperate lid. Those can both be found at Bitter Creek. The large jars I have not found on a US site yet, but I didn't look much. I pay an arm and a leg for mine though! About 2$ to 2.50$ per jar since I'm just small potatoes and order from Canada! :)

Oh and about the <<what happened to Yankee?>> comment in the last reply, I think they simply got greedy! Oh and you guys both say they don't scent their candles past the top portion.....WOW, I had no idea but it's definitely possible and simply horrible on their part if they do, just ripping people off!

Melany

Yankme sells purely on their name, unfortunatley. There are those that just have to have the well known brand.

Then there are those that are smart, like quality and buy from the homemade candle makers that make em 1,000 times better AND sell them for a way cheaper price. Quality and affordable...we got it going on.

Just a thought. They have a lot of employees and overhead ie: factory space, etc to pay and that is added into the cost of the candles. Bear in mind that they will be charging one price and the stores will be adding their markup as well.

And if people will pay that price, then no reason why they shouldn't charge that price.

They are in it for the profit and are not a cottage industry.

I am in no way disrespecting you, your candles or the quality of them.

I putting in my 2 cents.

Just a thought. They have a lot of employees and overhead ie: factory space, etc to pay and that is added into the cost of the candles. Bear in mind that they will be charging one price and the stores will be adding their markup as well.

And if people will pay that price, then no reason why they shouldn't charge that price.

They are in it for the profit and are not a cottage industry.

I am in no way disrespecting you, your candles or the quality of them.

I putting in my 2 cents.

I had the same thoughts. They have a lot more overhead. As far as pricing goes, I'd have to imagine the companies that are selling their products are paying half (or close to) just like any other wholesaler/retailer relation.

But it's still incredibly outrageous. More power to 'em if they can sell at that price! I personally wouldn't buy and have seen what those candles look like throughout burn. My sister in law used to buy their items on sale and gave me some of her used ones so I can have it to compare at my shows. Really eye opening for consumers.

Hi Melanie,

I just wanted to say your candles are absolutely lovely & beautiful labels also.

The mason jar and lid you use I get mine from TVG glass in New York. The rustic lids are by far the cheapest I have ever seen anywhere....44cents each...all the big candle supplies I've seen run anywhere from 72centst to. 1.68 each.....

I'm not sure what larger jar you use, but those black lids on them look exactly like what the Jar Store carries...

Trappeur

Hi guys, forgive me if this has been posted already, I did a quick search and didn't find anything! I just felt a strong need to rant about this, I feel violated and traumatized LMAO! I know, exaggerating a little....but GEEESH!

I was in a local gift shop looking at candles and tarts for ideas on what is available around here (I sell 100% soy candles and tarts, been making them for a few years now) and saw the new Yankmee 100% Soy Candles. 25$ CAD for a 9oz white tumbler. Ok, I thought the gift store had them really overpriced, NOPE, they are 20$ US on the Yankee site (Med. Tumbler). I sell mine at 10$ for same size. Anyways I KNOW what it costs me to make these, I can't imagine they pay a fraction of what I pay for my supplies. It's a crime really and I feel so bad for people who will buy these and the kickier is they all smelled terrible!!! They probably tunnel like crazy too, like the usual Yankee candle. At least Yankee's normal candles have a decent cold throw. They had 5 kinds I think, all foody, and they smelled like fuel or something and very faint.

On a good note, there's no way Yankme's addition of these soy candles will really hurt us, just the opposite. I know what my candles smell like and how much they cost and I feel much better now!

These are mine BTW, just sharing!

Soy Candles - Group Shot

Triple Layer Large Soy Candle - Christmas Collection

Probably not as cute as the Yankme ones (like their labels, not the all white candles so much). I'm so proud of my little babies!!!

I know most people like us, I mean people who make candles at home (no matter what kind of wax), take GREAT pride in what they do and care about their products and customers and it's just a shame when a company puts out inferior products at such outrageous prices. I really hope I don't come out as a mean person, I truly not in the least. Also, I would NOT rant and bash another company, no matter who it is, to my customers. That doesn't help my image but among us I think it's fine! I will however be happy to mention Yankme's prices on candles!! I just really felt the need to rant about these, even though they are probably a good thing for us!

Melany

These are some great candles. They really are professional. Could I ask where you get your labels and tags? Candles like these gives me inspiration to go on.

Missy

• 2 weeks later...

This thread gets replayed over and over and it's always a back-patting party.

Handcrafters don't make any money. Subtract their costs and factor in the time they spend designing, producing and selling product, and your typical handcrafter could get a better return on their time working the register at McDonalds.

Yankee is a real company that generates jobs and makes some contribution to the national economy. People earn a living working for them. It's called capitalism.

Countless handcrafters flooding the market with cheap stuff devalues the product and makes it harder for people who are actually trying to make a living.

Top, you must have woke up on the wrong side of the bed!!!! I own a REAL candle company and am very proud of it. It probably will never be a big-time company like Yankee but so-what. All of us little folks combined must be having some effect on Yankee as they are now in the Fundraising business. Hurray for us smalltimers!!!:yay: :yay: :yay: Carole

Top, you must have woke up on the wrong side of the bed!!!! I own a REAL candle company and am very proud of it.

In that case you should understand what I'm trying to say. I don't know what you have but it's no secret what most of the handcrafted market is about. It just seems ironic for people who are mostly not making a living selling candles to be saying that those are making a living are ripping people off with their pricing.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but the average kitchen or basement-based candle business is meant to generate a "supplementary" income. It may be better than working at McDonalds. Maybe more interesting and it may allow people in some cases to stay home and take care of children or whatnot, but it's not necessarily more lucrative than working at McDonalds.

Look at all the people who are retail pricing candles at $8 and then selling them at wholesale. Unless they've invested in one of those machines than can pour hundreds of candles with the flip of a switch, they probably aren't making much money for their time. That's just one scenario.

People who make a living selling candles or want to be able to, should be happy to see candles valued highly and selling at a good price. There are better things to be proud of than "we sell them cheap" - especially if you sell them cheap because you're willing to work for the price of a Chinese laborer.

People who make a living selling candles or want to be able to, should be happy to see candles valued highly and selling at a good price. There are better things to be proud of than "we sell them cheap" - especially if you sell them cheap because you're willing to work for the price of a Chinese laborer.

I concur! When people balk at my prices, I tell them they are buying my extensive knowledge of herbs, how, where and when to harvest them, that I know the difference between the plant I'm looking for and one that is a look-a-like and potentially poisonous, they pay for my ability to create a great formula that works, the packaging, label making and my time to create the great products I do and the time I take out to sell them personally so that they can ask their questions of me. And then they buy. And buy again.

My book keeper just finished my taxes for 2008. I have had the best year I ever had in my years of doing business and I expect, even in this economy, to surpass last year in 2009.

In a different forum, one gal said something to the effect of lowering prices so people would buy. Bad practice and one who will not stay in business long or who will limp along year after year with meager sales and get will burnt out along the way.

Make the product so appealing that the customers will buy them at any price is my thought. The product packaging and label, the display, signage is what sells first. What sells again is what is in the package.

In that case you should understand what I'm trying to say. I don't know what you have but it's no secret what most of the handcrafted market is about. It just seems ironic for people who are mostly not making a living selling candles to be saying that those are making a living are ripping people off with their pricing.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but the average kitchen or basement-based candle business is meant to generate a "supplementary" income. It may be better than working at McDonalds. Maybe more interesting and it may allow people in some cases to stay home and take care of children or whatnot, but it's not necessarily more lucrative than working at McDonalds.

Look at all the people who are retail pricing candles at $8 and then selling them at wholesale. Unless they've invested in one of those machines than can pour hundreds of candles with the flip of a switch, they probably aren't making much money for their time. That's just one scenario.

OK, Top, maybe you weren't "grouchy." I'm just trying to understand your point. We moved out of our kitchen 6 years ago and have two stand-alone bldgs on our property that we use to make, label, store, and sell candles & soap out of. I work full-time on candles and DH works about half-time. He works a 32-hr week as a machinist and the rest for Bugtussle. It's hard work but very rewarding. We make a decent living on the candles & soap and I would much rather make candles than work at McDonalds. We may be the exception on this board but there are a few of us that do this for a living. :P Carole

Not all handcrafters undervalue their time or work. Yes, some customers will pass me by because others are less expensive. But I don't work for free. I'd rather sell one candle for 10 than 2 candles for 10. Would I sell more items if I priced cheaper? Sure... but in the end I come out just about the same.

To the a poster who asked a few replies ago, I design and make my labels myself. Handcut everyone of them. LOL. :)

Top, I agree with many things you said. My arguement really was not that they are ripping people off by selling expensive candles but that they are ripping people off by selling CRAPPY expensive candles. I would have NO issues paying top dollar for something that is actually WORTH it. I certainly find NOTHING about that to be worth being proud of (selling crap for crazy prices). I do agree the handcrafted market is so saturated right now and handcrafted does NOT mean a better product, especially if it's cheap. I almost NEVER buy handcrafted stuff because I have bought tons from many places and have been dissapointed 99% of the time. I do think most of these hand crafters will give up soon enough, the true successes in this biz are not very many. You need to have the whole package and most of us lack in one area or another. While I think Yankee's tarts are AWESOME (and I admit I buy them at 2$ a pop more often then I would like) I think their candles suck. They sell awful candles that tunnel and smell like nothing and make loads of money doing it. Why do you think that is so great? If your goal in life is to be rich by any means and you don't care how you do it then that's great but personally I would not feel good it that way. It's a matter of preference I suppose.

Melany

I, at one time, would buy YC because really it was either them or White Barn or Illuminations (before YC took them over). Before I found this site, I had no idea that chandling was so popular. Sometimes, I can remember spending $100's at a time in YC because I love scented candles just that much....I landed a seasonal postion with them because the store manager saw me in there all the time.

Now that I have learned so much from you all, it is going to be hard to find new scents to fall in love with. But after seeing first hand what a handmade candle is like, I cannot go back. I had no idea the things that YC did to candles, especially the top scenting thing....which is very true by the way.

I will give them credit for a few things. They do make contributions to charity and offer their product for things like auctions, etc. They do pay about $2-3 above minimum wage here. And the employee discount is really, really nice as well. But even with all the overhead and some of the other points that others have made in their defense, I just think its awful to deceive the public. Everything just about that I have read about them on this board, I discovered for myself in my candles.

The point here is, how do you move on to find new scents and a new chandler to fall in love with? I have been on many of the websites here, nobody sells the scents that I love but I refuse to buy anymore from YC because I feel so cheated. Burning candles is therapuetic for me. As a burn survivor, I have learned a new found respect for fire. It is really beautiful when its properly enjoyed....

If someone could help me find a chandler that sells the following scents, or something very similar as I am open to suggestions....I would be forever greatful. It will be a year next month since my last YC purchase and I am experiencing withdrawls....

These of course are all YC types...

Tahitian Tiare Flower - my absolute favorite

Autumn Wreath - my favorite winter time scent

Vanilla Sandalwood

Shiraz or Vineyard - my kitchen is tuscan themed

Fresh Peach

Top, I agree with many things you said. My arguement really was not that they are ripping people off by selling expensive candles but that they are ripping people off by selling CRAPPY expensive candles. I would have NO issues paying top dollar for something that is actually WORTH it. I certainly find NOTHING about that to be worth being proud of (selling crap for crazy prices). I do agree the handcrafted market is so saturated right now and handcrafted does NOT mean a better product, especially if it's cheap. I almost NEVER buy handcrafted stuff because I have bought tons from many places and have been dissapointed 99% of the time. I do think most of these hand crafters will give up soon enough, the true successes in this biz are not very many.

Good post Melany. While I did want to offer up a different angle on things for people to think about, I don't think we particularly disagree on anything.

Nobody is saying selling crappy candles is great. I'm not sure you read that right. No offense.

No offense taken. I know nobody said that exactly, it's just one of the <<messages>> I took from Top's post. Not that selling crap was great, but that Yankee was a REAL company that contributed to the economy and where their employees were paid well etc... (compared to chinese laborers that we are, which is true in many cases). I honestly don't dissagree with Top on most things but that is the feeling I got....that Yankee was a great company compared to the little hancrafted ones that don't bring in much revenue....and I still disagree with that because <<great>> to me doesn't just mean the money it makes.

I've been doing this a few years now and still don't make much of a profit. For me it comes down to funds that are available. I can't buy large quantities of anything so I pay the maximum for everything, which means very low profit and not paying myself. BUT I do believe in the products I make and until I can find a solution to boost my profit (which is in the works and quite exciting) I'm going to consider this a hobby that pays for itself. After the first year and a half of testing, experimenting etc....where I spent money only I now make a profit (if I don't pay myself) and it's growing more and more. I'm not getting rich any time soon BUT if I can make a decent living doing this eventually that would be soooooo much better than working a 9-5 job I don't like. SO it's That's how I see it.

With that said there are candle and soap makers out there that do this exclusively and make a nice living doing it. I'm thinking of Patti Flynn and her DH for example. Some people just have it goin on! :)

Melany