60:40 soy blend

Hi guys,

Trying new blends and thought I'd share......

60%soy (415) to 40%paraffin. Colour is great, scent retention is great...still testing all the different wick sizes but so far so good.

The only problem I emcountered was that I waited for the wax to be kinda slushy and ended up with air pockets EVERYWHERE. Had to remelt in the oven and then let them set.

Does anyone know what temp roughly I should start pouring at? I'm basically lazy...lolol...so with just the 415 I wait til it gets kinda slushy and pour away. Great tops, adhesion etc....but with this blend I'm obviously not going to be able to do that.

Cheers,

hells

The only problem I emcountered was that I waited for the wax to be kinda slushy and ended up with air pockets EVERYWHERE. Had to remelt in the oven and then let them set.

I have been getting the same. I am using Swan's Accu10 and and 4786. Great color retention and both CT and HT. Them damn air pockets! I usually do a repour. I might try melting them down in the oven, but doesn't the scent of the candle stay in there? That's always been my worry, is that all my food would taste like candles! :sad2:

I have been getting the same. I am using Swan's Accu10 and and 4786. Great color retention and both CT and HT. Them damn air pockets! I usually do a repour. I might try melting them down in the oven, but doesn't the scent of the candle stay in there? That's always been my worry, is that all my food would taste like candles! :sad2:

When I have to rewick a tester, I put mine on a cookie sheet in the oven on about 160, for my 415 soy and let them slowly melt back down. Never had a problem with the scent hanging around in the oven, and never had a problem with the wax retaining its scent when repouring with new wicks.

I'm testing a 50/50 and 70/30 blend and am finding that if I pour at around 150 I never have to do a repour and get great glass adhesion.

I'm using C3 and 4630.

Hi flightoffancy . . .how is the scent throw with this blend? I got some C-3 ordered and am going to begin playing with it alone and blended. Glad to hear that my plans for the pour temp at 150* is a good starting point.

Hi flightoffancy . . .how is the scent throw with this blend? I got some C-3 ordered and am going to begin playing with it alone and blended. Glad to hear that my plans for the pour temp at 150* is a good starting point.

I'm getting fantastic results with the scent throw from both of these blends.

I'm not really noticing much of a difference at all in the scent throw between the blends, it's fantastic in both.

The only reason I started testing 50/50 is because with the 70/30 the darker colors still frosted just a bit. Since 50/50 doesn't frost and 70/30 does, I'm going to try 60/40 next and hope that it will be MY sweet spot. :cheesy2:

Hi Guys.....

All of them still look wonderful. Going to start burning this evening...I just cant wait any longer!!!! lolol

I poured some melts with the left overs and really like the way they look. They're shiny, popped out wonderfully.....

Will tell all tomorrow when I have tested a couple.

Cheers,

Hells

its the ACCU 10 that is causeing such bad air pockets. if you can, try switching to the C-3

I am testing C-3 / 4630 at 50/50 right now and in my 16 oz jar I got an air pocket but in my 8 oz I didn't. I poured around 145* so I may need to adjust my pouring temp. I haven't ever used the Accu 10 and it is my first experiences with C-3 but wanted to note that my first pour with C-3 did give a sink hole in the blend. Next testers I am going to try pouring hotter. CT wonderful at 48 hr cure, HT great. I need to adjust my wicking, after 2 - 4 hours burns I think I can go down a size.

C-3 alone with 1/2 tsp of CO my first testers I got circular cracks when poured at 140*. 48 hr cure CT wonderful, test burning for the first now. I suspect that more than 48 hours cure will be needed to judge HT but I am also testing wicks. (ETA - I thought I would include these test results also.)

• 2 weeks later...

Update on my testing:

CDN 8 - double wicked didn't get a full melt pool and the wicks kept going out

CDN 10 - double wicked a little better but too much wax left over, not a full melt pool and one wick kept going out (both the CDN8 and 10 I burned 2 candles each and both got the same result

CND 20 - not big enough

CDN 22 - not big enough either

I'll next try CDN 24 and 2 x CDN 12's if neither of them work I'm going to try the 10oz metro jars and see if I can wick those

I love the look of this blend so I'll just have to keep on testing

Cheers,

Hellen

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...