Carpet Fresh?

KMommy

I made this but it didn't sell. At our Walmart you can get a huge container (16 oz I believe) for 2.50, I bought dropped dead when I saw that. Heck, my shaker container alone cost me 1.00, and it's only 8 oz. If you don't have a Walmart then I'd say go for it, but otherwise it may be hard to sell. I just used FO and baking soda and used the same warning as WYJen. BTW, people around here can be cheap, I was thinking the fact that I had scents that Walmart didn't carry would help, but it's all about getting the most for your money I guess :sad2:

I made some with Peak Blackberry Sage that smells great but the baking soda doesn't sprinkle very well on it's own. I'll have to try adding the borax.

Like gerrie said you can buy carpet fresh really cheap so I haven't tried to sell it but I like being able to have the fragrance I want instead of some of the ones sold.

I think like with anything else, it's all in the marketing. When I marketed it as Carpet Refresh, or Carpet Fresh...very few sales. When I started marketing it as Odor Absorbing Room Deodorizer...(with some creative advertising) waaaaay more sales! Tell folks they can use it in and near their litter boxes..it absorbs odor without absorbing the fantastic fragrance..it's amazing stuff ;) Pet people especially love it. I sell it for 4 bucks and I don't even put it in a shaker (I just haven't found one cheap enough yet :D) I tie it up in a bag, and put a label on it. What I love most about it myself, is that as long as there is some in my vacuum cleaner bag it smells great when I vacuum even if I haven't sprinkled any on the carpet :tongue2:

I use baking soda with a little corn starch to help it sprinkle better. When I make it I dump it into my sifter and sift it to get clumps out and make it finer and it sprinkles great! I have an apple pie that I add a little bit of ground cinnamon to that sells great. I also recommend that my customers not use it on white or very light colored carpet in case the FO does something funky!

I did a lot of research before I made mine. I use only Borax. Baking soda is so fine that it never totally get sucked up by the vacuum. The BS just sifts down to the carpet pad and grinds away at the nap of the carpet. Borax however also has cleaning and even some germ killing effects. Not saying it is a germicide but anything helps. The larger grain is easier for the sweeper to pick up rather than pushing it into the nap. HTH

I don't think I kept the article but there was a warning about using products containing fragrance around pets especially cats. It had something to do with respirtory problems because they are so close to the litter and scratch alot when covering. There was a information warning about also using essential oils. It seems like cats are more sensitive to it and products once thought to be safe containing these oils are now known to cause problems. I'll see if I can find the information and see if I can scan and re-print it. I only use unscented baking soda with the litter. If that weren't enough they also warned about borax. I think some people have used straight borax as a carpet treatment for fleas. If you apply it and leave it on for certain amount of time it suppose to kill fleas. Problem was people were doing this with pets still in the room. When they walked arcoss the treated area they would get it on their fur and paws then later lick it off:eek: !