Frostop and Cinnamon Stick in Calsoy CB-3

Ok, I made another Cinnamon Stick candle today with the Calsoy CB-3 and added 2% of the Frostop that Daphne has to offer. So far, I am not seeing any frost. Normally, as far as I can recall, I would see some frosting by this point. I am going to keep my fingers crossed and hope that this will work! I will let you know later tonight how it is doing. I think it is going to work. Even if there ends up being a little bit a frost that would be way better than what I was getting.

~Holly

Hey Holly, Are you still adding the modifier? And, are you using the Pryme colors? Just wondering. Beth

Hi Beth,

Yes, the candle I made with the Frostop has the modifier in it too. I poured the wax from a batch that I already had made up. I think I may need to use the modifier too anyway because is helps obtain the smooth tops. I am not sure if the Frostop would help that part.

I looked at the candle again and there is only a very small spot of frost. It is working! By now there would be some real frost appearing. I sure hope that it holds up and I don't wake-up to a horrible surprise. :shocked2: I use the prime color for some colors and still use my other colors for the ones that I don't have trouble with frost. However, I did not use the Pryme with the Cinnamon Stick. I kinda have the color down with my other Red. I will probably try it next time. But even with Pryme I can get some frost with the really heavy oils, but not as bad. When I make the Country Grove, if I use the Pryme brown I get way less frosting than with my other brown.

I would definitely recommend the Frostop. At least at this point. :)

Where did you get it from, the frostop? Thanks

Hi Angela,

I got it from Barn Loft candles -- Daphne (PrairieDweller).

http://www.barnloftcandles.com/soy_dyes.html

Go to the bottom of the page and there is a link for the Frostop page.

It looks like it is going to work, Angela! This is great! You should order some and try it.

~Holly :)

Well, I woke up this morning and there was no horrible frost suprise. This stuff works!!!!!! :yay: I can't believe it. What a relief! Usually, by morning, the cinnamon candle would have frosting all over it. There is only that one little spot in the back that never got any bigger. I highly recommend the Frostop. I am test burning it now to see if it burns any different -- if it requires a wick change, etc.

Holly,

do you know what is in the Frostop? Does it help with some of the cracking issues you were having?

Hi Jeana,

I am not sure what is in it. I need to email Daphne and ask. It sure does the job though. If it is not just veggie base I will still use it for the bad frosters. I am not sure if it is helping with the cracking because the cracking is intermitent. I found that when I make a final candle with wicks, I don't get them as much and also if I am more careful not to go over 170-175 in heating it seems to help. However, I am still afraid of the invisible airpockets, so I feel like I have to poke and zap anyway. So frustrating. I have the frost issue fixed but I still have some quirks to figure out. I can still sell them, but it is a pain for me to poke and zap and it ruins the pretty smooth tops. I just made three more Cinnamon candles so I will see how the tops go with all three. I will say though that the texture with the Frostop in is very nice. If you try it, you will be pleasantly surprised with the results. :)

I have been trying several waxes so far. For me, the CB3 was by far the worst with frosting. Two of the other waxes were pretty and smooth but had some frosting too. One was very nice, smooth with little to no frosting, and so far good scent. I haven't been able to burn them all to compare throws yet because some of them are curing. I was thinking it may be good to get some of this frostop stuff in case the best thrower ends up to be the worst froster.

I noticed I got the small hairline surface cracks with each brand though. This was disappointing. One brand even has their own additive which still didn't prevent this. They don't go below the surface. I guess something has to be sacrificed somewhere with soy.

I have been trying several waxes so far. For me, the CB3 was by far the worst with frosting. Two of the other waxes were pretty and smooth but had some frosting too. One was very nice, smooth with little to no frosting, and so far good scent. I haven't been able to burn them all to compare throws yet because some of them are curing. I was thinking it may be good to get some of this frostop stuff in case the best thrower ends up to be the worst froster.

I noticed I got the small hairline surface cracks with each brand though. This was disappointing. One brand even has their own additive which still didn't prevent this. They don't go below the surface. I guess something has to be sacrificed somewhere with soy.

Hi again Jeana,

Yep, out of the soys I have tried the CB-3 was the worst froster for me too. However, not wilth all oils or colors. But, when it has a bad case of frosting it really goes for it. :shocked2: I did not test the others extensively to know what the percentage of scent throw would be. But from the scents I did test, it seems like the CB-3 has the best throw for me. I only tested one candle with the KY-125 so I would have to test that one more, but I was so deep into the CB-3 I did not want to change if I did not have too. The KY-125 does not have as smooth of tops (not for me anyway) but it sure was pretty -- no frost on the one I made. By the time I poke and zap the CB-3 the tops are no longer a winner. :tongue2: If I can get that figured out, it will be a great soy! I agree there always seems to be some kind of a sacrifice in one degree or another.

:) Holly,

Do you have the ability to post pictures? I would really like to see how your candles turned out. Thanks for posting anyways. I am patiently waiting for new wicks, and my order of Frostop that I am goin to try. I, too, wondered what was in this stuff. And you don't think that it will affect the throw at all? That would be great.

:) Holly,

Do you have the ability to post pictures? I would really like to see how your candles turned out. Thanks for posting anyways. I am patiently waiting for new wicks, and my order of Frostop that I am goin to try. I, too, wondered what was in this stuff. And you don't think that it will affect the throw at all? That would be great.

Hi Angela,

Yes, I sure can post a picture. :) It is late right now, and I would like to post an unburned candle -- the perfectionist in me. I am going to be gone all day tomorrow, but I may be able to post a picture tomorrow night. If not, definitely by Monday. I am so happy that the Frostop works! Even after a burn all I got was a little white frosting on the top surface around the adge -- not the outer ring against the sides of the glass. Now, if I can only fix those darn airpockets. Stearic is the next test. I may want to try that without the veggie modifier, because if I don't that means I will have the veggie modifier, Frostop and stearic. That seems like a lot of additives. I am not sure if that is bad or not. I will see how it works with just stearic and the Frostop. I think that the Frostop may be helping with that (dip and hairline cracking) too. Keep me posted on your testing. :)

I just wanted to add my $.02 about Frostop - I made some deep purple candles about a month ago, and did a side by side comparison. The one with Frostop literally never frosted. Never. Not a speck. The one without did it's usual nasty snowy frosting action. The throw was amazing, the wicking didn't change, and it just simply never frosted, even after I burned it to the bottom of the jar. And in case everyone missed my complaining about soy, I had some nasty frosting happening, and vowed to never again color candles. A month later, I tried the Frostop and I am totally sold - I'll be ordering some as soon as the holidays are over and rexperimenting with color. Just my experience, and I hope that you guys have the success I did!

daniedb

Are you using the pryme colors as well? I dont color my candles either, just because of the frosting, but maybe if this stuff really works that well, I will try to color now. Thanks for the post, that is really interesting. I still would like to know what this stuff is made of though. :smiley2:

I'm not using any dye right now, I gave up after I moved to TX and had horrible humidity through the fall months. I *was* using BCN liquid dyes, and while I love the dyes, even Doneen will rec not using them with soy as the solvents will increase frosting. I tried color blocks from BCN, too, but still the frosting. After things slow down after the holidays, I'm going to order a few Pryme colors and the Frostop and hopefully conquer the Frosties so I can do a line of beautifully colored candles. I'll let you know when and if I get good results!

I emailed Barnloft candles to find out what is in the Frostop. I haven't heard back. And they have no phone number on their website, what's up with that?

Does anyone have a phone number for them?

I would like to get some of this but until I know what is in it I'm going to have to hold off.

I know that the Frostop is a veggie product, but I am quite certain that it's proprietary information - or else we'd all go buy the ingredients and make it ourselves! I don't think that Daphne is going to disclose what the exact ingredients are, as I mentioned, I'm fairly certain it's proprietary. As long as it's 100% veggie, I'm fine with adding it!

Thanks for the phone number.:smiley2:

Ya, I don't need to know the formula of how to make it, I just want to make sure it is a veg product. I also want to make sure it isn't just more beeswax or stearic, stuff I already have, that is getting passed off as a brand new product.

I sent an email to Barnloft asking them what was in the 10% that wasn't listed as plant derived and this was their reply:

"All we can tell you is that it is synthetic. At only 10%, using it at

1%

will still make your wax base 99.9% natural. If you add fragrances that

are

not essential oils or dyes, there will be much more addition of

synthetics

to your formula than this additive will bring you.

Please let me know if I can be of further help."