How much FO do YOU use with your UNrefined shea butter?

Michi

For those of you that use the unrefined shea butter in larger amounts, say for body butters etc. how much FO do you have to use to cover up the smell of the shea?

I think I had to use a LOT last night with just a small batch (.7oz. for about 4oz. shea butter 1oz. cocoa butter, .3 almond oil) and to ME that seems like a lot.

Not sure how much I used the first time, cuz I think I forgot to write it down DUH! But I used Peak's mango papaya and made a larger batch (1lb. shea, 1oz. almond oil).

Oh, and do you color yours? If so, what kind of colors do you use? oil based, like for CP soap, or do you have to use some other kind?

Ok, I think I'm obsessing over this shea butter, but I really want to get it right, ya know? ;) LOL

I just leave mine unscented. I too tried to mask the smell with tons of FO, but then I got people ocmplaining that they would get a headache from the large amount of FO I had to use. What you can do instead, is just use FOs that compliment the smell of the shea and blend together real nice.

Carrie, EXACTLY my thoughts!! Last night I used strawberries&champ. just to try something different, even though I just had a sneaking hunch that it wasn't going to work.

I had to use a lot and STILL you can smell the shea, and I think it's waaay too strong. It just stinks IMO and I really like the S&C in soap and candles but not in this, and I candle handle the scent of the shea somewhat but not these two together I guess.

With the mango papaya I used last time, no one has complained of the scent at all and so I think it must compliment the scent of the shea butter, b/c I think I only used no more than 1oz. per lb. and that's probably erring on the high side, but it just seems to "go" with the shea scent like you said. ;)

Ok, so I'll just use this shea that I made last night for myself, if I can stand it, it's pretty dang strong! :eek:

Guess I need to order some more mango papaya from Peaks then, dang just when you think you maybe can stop spending money for a while-NOT!! :rolleyes:

I added a teeny weeny bit just s I can say it is "lightly" scented but it is very faint. I like Sultry Angel from CandleCocoon for it

But are you using the UNrefined shea, cuz the more I smell it, the more stinky it's getting I'm starting to gag off this stuff now, whereas before, it didn't bother me that much.

I don't want to stop using it, the benefits are awesome, I love the way it works on my bod (not to mention the fact that I have 10lbs. of it ;) but I've got to mask the smell of it somewhat and I think like Carrie said, it has to be a scent that compliments it, otherwise it still gags me and there's too much FO to boot! ;)

Where are you peeps getting your unrefined shea from? If you have n't tried any yet from Agbanga Karite (Mary Loveless is the distributor), then you really ought to. Wonderful wonderful unrefined shea, very low odor that is not unpleasant at all. Trust me, you won't find nicer unrefined shea butter anywhere!

There was a co op going on for this. If you missed out and are interested in a pound, let me know and i'll sell ya some of mine. I have 30 #'s coming!!

Where are you peeps getting your unrefined shea from? If you have n't tried any yet from Agbanga Karite (Mary Loveless is the distributor), then you really ought to. Wonderful wonderful unrefined shea, very low odor that is not unpleasant at all. Trust me, you won't find nicer unrefined shea butter anywhere!

There was a co op going on for this. If you missed out and are interested in a pound, let me know and i'll sell ya some of mine. I have 30 #'s coming!!

i agree AK has the best shea i have come across.

I use the agbanga shea and it just has a very mild scent. I don't try to mask the shea scent. To me, when you rub the shea in, the shea scent goes away and leaves the fo scent. I am only going for the amount of fo that is needed after the shea has soaked in. Does that make scense?

I have noticed that if you add a small amount of EO/FO and can still smell the shea then leave it for a few days and then go back and take a sniff, usually the shea odor will be gone. Seems to take a while to incorporate the EO/FO. I also concur on the Agbange Karite shea, it's the best and all unrefined shea is NOT created equal. I have had some from various suppliers that was too foul to use in a butter.

I AM using the Agbange Karite shea, I got it in the last co-op about 2 months or so ago. I think it's pretty strong, well at first I didn't, but the more I get it out and sniff it/use it, the stinkier I think it is, and I don't think it's "changing" on me or anything I just think it stinks.

Now the first batch I did, like I said earlier, smells wonderful with the mango papaya, but I cannot imagine leaving it unscented and trying to sell it to peeps, I think that they'd take one whiff, and walk away. :sad2:

I don't know maybe it's just ME, but it's gotta have FO or EO or something to mask that scent of the shea. JMHO

• 2 weeks later...

I only use the unrefined in products that are supposed to be earthy and unrefined (you're going to HATE my eczema balm, BTW) - but I do add some EOs to it. In the first batch of eczema balm, I used a combo of lav, chamomile, geranium and rose geranium. YUM! It was a nice different scent, and did seem to get rid of the worst of the unrefined scent. I love that smell, though, so I'm not a good one to judge.

I too use the AK unrefined shea and only use EO's when I make a whipped butter and I really don't add that much. The last batch I made, I think I used 2 drops of lavender EO and 1 drop of geranium EO per ounce and you can smell it over the shea.

This is exactly what I do as well. I think EO's are really the way to go with shea because it only takes a little bit. AK's unrefined shea is really very nice and does not smell bad at all.

Kimberly