Triming the wick

How do you make people understand they have to trim the wicks!!One of my coworker bought a candle from me ,and gave it to her SIL.She told me today that it smoke up her SIL travel trailor.They had to wash the walls in it.I ask her how long did she burn it,she didn't know,just that she lit it and left,and went to her brothers,I ask her did she trim the wick,she said I never trim a wick.I tested this jar,wax,wicks,and fo,before I sold it.I am burning one right now,just like it,and it's burning fine.This makes you want to throw up your hands and quit.It's depressing when you hear this.But you know what,before I started making candles I never read the warning label.Sorry this was so long.

Anna

Precisely why I marathon burn every formula before selling. I could possibly make the burn more perfect by adjusting the formula for one that's burned properly, but I know many people wont do it that way. I try to balance the effects between those who do burn them proper and those who light them then ignore them. It's a trade off. Not as perfect as it could be, but not a disaster if left alone either.

this brought me to a question I have had, do most of you guys have the wick trimmed on the candle to the proper length for their first burn? I use to not do this, tied the tag on the wick, but have changed my packing, and have started trimming all the wicks to the proper length, which is a pain, but i know they will get off to a good start. 2nd question, if you do this do you have a quick method of getting the length the same each time? a jig or something???

Here's a good one...

A woman who bought one of my candles at a craft show last month told me at my craft show on Saturday, tha she went to New York overnight, and accidently left one of my candles burning the whole time!!!:shocked2: :shocked2:

Thank God she did not burn her house down!!!

She said her home smelled great when she got home!!

I was mortified!!!

SO you just never know!!

I put burning instructions on my candles, but I don't think people read them. I am sure that there are many people in the world that have no business burning candles. But then again, there are many people driving cars that have no business driving cars. For every good candle burner, there is a bad candle burner....LOL.....it is just the Yin Yang of it. Donita

post-248-139458384814_thumb.jpg

Absolutely and on every single one! A jig, nope. I cut them with my kittys nail scissors. They're not all going to be the exact same length, but they will be short enough to give a good first burn :)

this brought me to a question I have had, do most of you guys have the wick trimmed on the candle to the proper length for their first burn? I use to not do this, tied the tag on the wick, but have changed my packing, and have started trimming all the wicks to the proper length, which is a pain, but i know they will get off to a good start. 2nd question, if you do this do you have a quick method of getting the length the same each time? a jig or something???

Yes I cut them to length and we let people know that they need to keep their wicks trimmed. No do-hickey or gizmo, just a guesstimate.

Guess I wouldn't sell to that woman who went to NY overnight again, not without her promising she wasn't making a trip somewhere.

And Donita, for every good candle burner out there, there's more like five bad candle burners, not one lol!

Here's what I do. Helps get them trained.

Top you are to much!LMAO

My coworker told me today,That the woman husband was asleep in the trailor,and he was still blowing soot out of his nose the next day.I told her that was BULLSH__T!!That I burned the same candle last night for four hrs,and it burned perfect.Yes I do trim my wicks before I sell them.I use a toe nail clipper,works perfect.

Anna

ROFLMAO!! Boy that sign will make a nice flame when they light the end of that wick :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

that is so funny because that is what I thought, I have had people actually tell me they cut the tag off and lit the wick 3" long, how can anyone be that stupid!!!