Soybean and Shea Lotion Bar

Carriegsxr6

I have been making these and pouring them into the soap clamshells. Pop it out and rub it on your feet, elbows, and knees all summer long, then replace inside clamshell to keep fresh.

90% Container Soywax (Most container soywaxes are cosmetic safe, I have used Cargill C-3 and ACCU Blend container soy waxes without any problem)

10% Shea Butter

I add .5oz of skin safe fragrance per lb.

Melt Soywax to around 150 degrees and remove from heat source, add shea butter and stir until fully melted, add fragrance and pour when cooled to a slushy/cloudy stage so that the clamshells do not melt. You can also add skin safe colorants as well.

Ok...I popped these out of the molds this morning. That's when I seen I screwed up...used palm container wax instead of soy container wax. They smell nice, (vanilla almond) but no lotion feel.

Lesson here...don't use palm wax, don't make things up in a hurry.

I'll try again today with soy wax.

no preservative is necessary in a product like this. you need preservative when water is a) part of your formula (e.g., a regular lotion) or B) is likely to be introduced into your formula (e.g., in a scrub that is meant to be used in the bath and is probably going to be scooped out with wet hands).

You MAY want an antioxidant but I don't think it would be necessary here. IMO.

Carrie thanks for the recipe - sounds interesting and boy oh boy do I have C-3

I tried this today with C-3 and refined shea. I poured some into a mold, some into a twist-up tube, and a bit into a lip balm tube for giggles. Sorry to say what I popped out of the mold had way too much drag for me, and stuck so hard to the tube it wouldn't twist up.. Maybe if I play with the ratios it could work out, but 90/10 isn't cutting it pour moi. I'm thinking if you add some palm oil ... or maybe some IPM.

Preservatives are for molds and bacteria - prevents stuff from growing. Antioxidants are to prevent (slow) rancidity - slows the chemical reaction of oxidation. Different different different.

I'm not saying there is not a chance of the soy wax going rancid, just I've had this box of it for a couple of years and it's fine and dandy. I think it's hydrogenated to the point it's VERY stable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I tried this today with C-3 and refined shea. I poured some into a mold, some into a twist-up tube, and a bit into a lip balm tube for giggles. Sorry to say what I popped out of the mold had way too much drag for me, and stuck so hard to the tube it wouldn't twist up.. Maybe if I play with the ratios it could work out, but 90/10 isn't cutting it pour moi. I'm thinking if you add some palm oil ... or maybe some IPM.

Preservatives are for molds and bacteria - prevents stuff from growing. Antioxidants are to prevent (slow) rancidity - slows the chemical reaction of oxidation. Different different different.

I'm not saying there is not a chance of the soy wax going rancid, just I've had this box of it for a couple of years and it's fine and dandy. I think it's hydrogenated to the point it's VERY stable.

Carebear did you ever try a different ratio?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just tried this, I used:

.8oz Soy wax (GB 415)

.1oz Coconut 76

.2oz Painya Butter.

This would make a very nice lip balm with the addition of a little beeswax for hardness. I tried it on my lips and it feels great.

I rubbed it on my hands and it felt really greasy but within less than a minute the painya took over and it didn't feel as greasy anymore.

• 1 month later...
I just tried this, I used:

.8oz Soy wax (GB 415)

.1oz Coconut 76

.2oz Painya Butter.

This would make a very nice lip balm with the addition of a little beeswax for hardness. I tried it on my lips and it feels great.

I rubbed it on my hands and it felt really greasy but within less than a minute the painya took over and it didn't feel as greasy anymore.

Carrie,

Did you use this for a regular bath bar or more as a moisturizing bar? This sounds interesting and super easy to do. More like something I could do with my one good arm. Where do you get the Painya butter or could you use something else?

Thanks!

Michelle