Sampling Body Butters at Craft Shows

SueH

I was in a rather dissapointing craft show today and had a large display of mainly body butters and lotion sticks. I had samples sitting out for people to try along with popsicle sticks and a sign saying to use the sticks to try out the butters. People kept dipping their fingers in the butters even though I asked them to use the sticks. I also had a cute little can witha sign on it saying to dispose of the sticks in here. Does everyone else experience this or have any suggestions for me?The show wasn't that great and it started out with one of the crafters coming in and loudly announcing that she couldn't possibly have her table in the middle aisle because she needed a wall for her display and told the lady in charge that she had to do something. The lady asked her if she had written about needing a wall on her application and she said "Well, no!!" DUH!!! They ended up moving some things around to accomodate her. Takes all kinds, huh? TIA!!!

What about only putting out small sample cups. Then they can only use a small portion any way. Or have the product on the sticks ready for them to try rather than depending on them to put it on the sticks. You could hand them a stick as they walk up. This way the sample seems more of a personal service. It is kind of weird that people aren't concerned for their own sanitation though.

When we do shows there is always two of us. One carries the sorbet and suggests free samples while the other "mans" the sample table. This works very well for us as we had so many people come in and put their fingers in our stuff during shows. My MIL usually catches them when they first approach & then hands them off to me. I then watch them like hawks and suggest samples to them while I hold the applicator in my hand *offering it to them as they sniff or pick up the sorbet*

PS - If you have a hard time selling a particular scent, sample it this way and I guarantee you will sell out of that scent lol

You could always just shrink wrap the ones you're selling, or buy tamper seals (both can be found at WSP) It also lends a very professional look. And I don't think anyone would really try to open a sealed package when you have one sitting out in front for everyone to try...and if they do, beat them over the head with something! :)

Oh I hate when they do that. I have more problems with my lotion bars, I have several out as testers but low and behold someone has to rub the top of one for sale. Oh, it drives me crazy because then I pull it out of stock and now it becomes a sample.

I also have the experience that whatever fragrance you use as samples is the one you will sell out of. Mine was Pink Sugar this weekend, I don't think I have a one left.

I put the sticks in the shea butter and they do use it, but over the weekend I had not decided which fragrance was going to be my sample and some lady came up started opening them and stuck her finger right in, and then said "Oh, was this you sample?" I said, "it is now"

Elle