Craft Show

Spellkast

Ok, so thanks to PrairieAnnie, I have decided to try doing a craft show. My only problem is this: I only keep on hand what I need (about 10 of each jar, containers, 50 lbs. of wax, 4 oz. of scent..yada yada yada) When someone places an order that goes above and beyond what I have in stock, I just place an order with the company I buy my stuff from. Now...my problem is this: I carry a bunch of items in 50 different scents. I would have to shell out more than $1000 just in supplies to make one of everything I carry in every scent. Is it worth it? Or should I just pick my twenty top best scents and make those? And then maybe just bring my showcase of scents (what I bring to home parties) to let them smell the other scents I offer? I really don't want to spend more than $1000 making products I'm not sure will sell, ya know what I mean? I just want to get my name out there- Im having a website built- thanks again to prairie- and I'll have tons of brochures and business cards and order forms in case someone wants to order something I don't have on hand. What do you craft show veterans think? How did you all start out? HELP!!!! Thanks so very much for any advice you can give me!!!

Michelle

Thanks so much! I just want to get my name out there, ya know? I figured I'd make room spray with all of my scents (since I have plenty of supplies for those) and then my sample candle scents in my carry box so that people can smell the other scents I offer, and just take orders from there- or even go on my soon to be wonderful website :) :) :) to order some!! But I always hear that you can't sell what you don't bring- so I'm just worried I won't have enough! Thanks for your honest opinion...it made me feel much better!

Michelle

I wish we could all be mind readers for this.I did about 5 of each of 50 scents and did bring quite a bit back home.Wish I would have made less last year.Now this year I am selling alot and have still the same amount of scents.I can say you can make up 20 lotions etc and the very one someone is looking for is what you don't have.I only do 10 to 15 different lotions.Last year I made about 2 of each scent and did not sell but maybe one of each scent .So only made one this year of Rice Flower and Shea and the lady wanted another.Would never have thought that.

Also 2 friends wanted a Lime candle and when one walked to her husband for money the other one did not come back with her.She wanted even a 8 ounce if I had it but only had a 16 ounce.And that candle was from last year.

The scent thing like I mentioned before is so unpredicatable.

LynnS

I can say you can make up 20 lotions etc and the very one someone is looking for is what you don't have.
How true! This happens to me too! You just can't please everybody, not even if you brought 50 scents. What I do is to suggest to the person the closest alternative i.e. something in the same scent group. Work with them and help them pick out something else - this extra personal touch can help to make the sale.

People are finicky, but I figured I'd bring my sample scents in case they're interested in a certain scent I carry; they can smell the sample candle and place an order. I'll have tons of business cards with my website on them and plenty of order forms. I've narrowed it down to 20 scents. What do you think of this mix?

Florals

Lilac

Lavender

Sweet Pea

Rose

Holiday

Pumpkin Pie

Candy Cane

Spiced Cranberry

Gingerbread

Baked Scents

Banana Nut Bread

Cinnabun

Sugar Cookie

Apple Pie

Vanilla Smoothie

Fruits

Cucumber Melon

Jamaica Me Crazy

Mango Papaya

Designer

Lovespell

Drakkar

Juniper Breeze

White Tea & Ginger

What do you think? Is this a good mix of scents? Do you think there's anything I should add/replace? Any advice is greatly appreciated, especially since I've never done this before! :) Thanks a bunch!

Oh I'm going to say people will ask for the things you don't have lol! Happens to us all the time. But some commonly asked for scents that you don't list are gardenia, jasmine and musk. Mulberry and bayberry file right on in there. And we get a few people looking for woodsy scents too ... like the patchouli, sandalwood, cedar, amber etc.

My 2 cents worth in regards of giving people OTHER scents you DO NOT have with is that it gives them an excuse not to buy it today.

I have found that if I even hint that maybe they could check out my website for a different product or scent they take that as a pass to not buy when I could have given a little more time with them and gotten a purchase right then of something I do have withe me.

I take over 33 fragrances of lotion bars and still get people wanting something else, I immediately start talking to them about other favs etc and 9 timse out of 10 get them to purchase something else

Just a thought, people will buy what you have if they really want to buy. Some people are just professional shoppers (they shop for business cards and websites but never buy a darn thing) they just waste our time

HTH

Michelle

Thanks! Ya know, I thought about that- I know I do that, if I'm not interested, and someone offers me a way out, I take it. But I've bought stuff sometimes because the salesperson was so good at convincing me. I figure I'll have my 20 scents, and if they happen to ask specifically if I carry a certain scent that I have, I can tell them they can special order it. I figured I'll bring every scent I carry in votives and possibly tarts or tealights, too. This way if I don't have their scent in jars, they can still purchase something while at the booth. Does that sound decent? I'm just so nervous, this is my first time doing this- I don't even know how to set up the booth or where to get a sign printed up for a craft show..I'm very craft show clueless :) So thanks for all of your help guys!!! :) It is so very appreciated!

Michelle