Candle on warmer loses scent after 1 year? Need Help!

candlelady

OK, Customer emails me, says she bought some of my candles 1 year ago and she's been using them on the warmers. Well, now they are losing their scent and she wants me to send her some FO to "re-scent" the wax.

I'm of the opinion that after heating, cooling, heating, cooling, the scent will sure dissipate over time thru heating and evaporation. Am I right?:confused:

I do not know about candles on warmers and how they perform over time. I just light mine! LOL

Also, I'm not comfy about sending FO to her either...

Any info you could share with me would be appreciated.

Carrie

Yeah definitely do not send her more fragrance. Candles that are put on a warmer will lose their scent, it will dissipate over time. The wax and everything will still be there, just the scent will go away. Let her know that adding fragrance to an existing candle is not safe and that you will gladly sell her a new candle and she should dispose of the old one.

A year on the warmer could be a record!! :grin2:

Yes, the FO burns off after awhile and the wax will remain.

Tell her nicely that you do not offer scent refills for the warmers,

but you would be happy to sell her more candles.

This way she can try out some new fragrances too!!:grin2:

I run a crock pot at shows (instead of lighting a candle, plus it puts out a lot of scent) and I can do 3-4 days before it starts to lighten up on me in the large space I'm trying to scent. I have tried to rescent and it works briefly but then the wax starts to smell funky.

I think after a year, she got more than her money's worth and should be glad so got so long out of it!

I was just reading posts on wickless candles, and the life expectancy somebody was getting was 3-4 weeks with some FOs, and a couple of months with other FOs. I'd say if that lady had one last a year, she got a bargain and you don't owe her anything. That's beside the point that the wax is rated to hold only so much to begin with.

What a dumb butt:confused: Did she think it was a lifetime investment? It's the same principle as tarts, and surely she wouldn't expect them to last indefinitely. For sure don't send the oil; once it's out of your hands, you don't know what she will do with it. She could dump the whole bottle in, use a tealight burner, and set her community on fire.:rolleyes2

Oh, good heavens...she definitely should be happy with it lasting as long as it did...I'm jealous!! Mine certainly don't last that long! lol

I also would not recommend refreshing it with oil.

She just needs to buy a new one!!

Good Luck!

PS Does anyone ever recommend using an empty jar and putting a few melts in. I do it for my own use, but don't know if it is a no-no. I use my tester candle jar, clean it out, add some melts and put in electric cachepot melter. So far, no problems, but I know the "re-use" of jars is not a good idea. Hmmm, guess I answered my own question!! lol

Thanks everyone for your responses!~ I've learned a little too!

I didn't think they would/should last that long, but hey,,,,,mine lasted a long, long, long time! LOL Energizer Candles! LOL

I just wanted to verify what my response should be before I responded to her. Oh, and sending her FO, oh no! I could just see her house catching fire, etc... and a lawsuit to boot! whew!

Thanks and have a great weekend!

It's HOT here! I'm now a human sprinkler! LOL

My house is so warm I don't dare light a candle either! LOL

Carrie

Oh my, I wonder how long she expected it to last?! It would be like me trotting to the grocery store to complain that the loaf of bread I bought one year ago has turned moldy. :( Yes, I would write back to explain how the scent will eventually dissipate after several rounds of heating, and that the best solution is to replace the candle with a new one.

PS Does anyone ever recommend using an empty jar and putting a few melts in. I do it for my own use, but don't know if it is a no-no. I use my tester candle jar, clean it out, add some melts and put in electric cachepot melter. So far, no problems, but I know the "re-use" of jars is not a good idea. Hmmm, guess I answered my own question!! lol

I break tarts up and put them in a votive holder and put it on a warmer. At least that's what i did before i got a real tart warmer.

I break tarts up and put them in a votive holder and put it on a warmer. At least that's what i did before i got a real tart warmer.

With the votive warmer, I do use the same votive holder over and over.

To get more scent in a larger room - if I don't have a large wickless at home - I will take a couple melts and put them in a 10 oz jar and put that in my larger warmer.

I got this off another board

mix 75% Dipropylene Glycol (DPG) to 25% FO. On some FO

that isn't very strong I do a 50% to 50% mix.

and this one too.

1/2 ounce of FO and 3 drops of good old olive oil which acts as your diffuser and will not smoke

I'm in the minority but there is not reason that you cannot add fragrance oil to a wickless candle to refresh it. You may not want to do it for business reasons and that I understand but you can definitely refresh the candle 1 or 2 times without worry. Try it!

I'm in the minority but there is not reason that you cannot add fragrance oil to a wickless candle to refresh it. You may not want to do it for business reasons and that I understand but you can definitely refresh the candle 1 or 2 times without worry. Try it!

Will try it! Thanks!

Actually there is. It's a safety issue. There is still some FO in the load and if it has been loaded to wax recommendations, it's quite possible that adding in FO could bring down a flashpoint, depending on the person's burner, could ignite as well. Additionally, wax breaks down in a sense after extensive use, it's chemical makeup from first creation has changed due to different parts burning off unequally. It may look the same, but it doesn't act the same if reused, heated and unheated and heated and unheated then adding in a fresh component.

Some people out there are really challenged!. I had a customer who complained that one of my tarts didn't last but a month. I asked her how many actual hours she burned it and she said 24 hrs a day. I told her that I don't have any tarts that will last 30 days burning continuously, that I am good, but I can't perform miracles. I then explained to her the average # of hours a wicked candle will last, and compared the average cost of candles to tarts. It really amazes me how people expect a $1 tart to last ten times longer than a $6 (or more) candle. Maybe you can explain this to her by comparing the life of a wicked candle to your wickless and educate her a little. She must have thought she was buying a "Forever Candle" LOL.

What a cheapo!...complaining that it lasted only a year and too cheap to buy another candle! I would try to lose her business if I were you. People this ignorant can hurt your reputation! I don't want these kind of customers. Refer her to the big dog companies to see if she can find better quality!!!

I emailed her back and explained that if she got 1 years worth of aroma then I did well. LOL I also explained that for safety reasons I could not supply any refresher FO for her to use due to flash points and safety issues, blah, blah, blah.....

Haven't heard back from her.

My take is...it has a wick...use it.:grin2:

Carrie

FHG, I don't think she meant for the customer to burn w/the wick at this point. Just that it was sold as a wicked candle and she should burn as such.

I would never try to burn a candle after it had been on a warmer. The wick would probably come off the wick stickem or whatever. At best the wick would not be in the center.

I suggest you ask the customer to buy some different candles.

I had a lady who did the same thing--I guess she thought since the wax was still there the scent would last indefinitely. After her I learned to tell customers what to expect.

You should do what I did and sell her some tarts to drop in the melted wax to use as a refresher instead of oil. It works like a charm.