Dye or no dye in soy candles??

I'm seriously contemplating making the switch from dyed to no dye soy candles and was wondering what some of your thoughts are. My main complaint is that I'm tired of dealing with the frosting. I don't want to switch to paraffin nor do I want to do a parasoy blend, I want to continue using soy wax. My question to those that have made the switch or make candles without dyes, are they good sellers? Did you notice an increase or a decrease in sales with no dyes?

I would love to have some input from those who have done this already, maybe it will help me make my final decision.

TIA

Islandgirl,

Thanks for your reply! Sure seems awhole lot easier and a lot less headaches going undyed, doesn't it? Did you notice a big change in your wicking when you changed? That's what I'm dreading, testing, testing, testing again.. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I'm totally new to candle making but maybe this is a solution and maybe not. I used a tiny amount of shavings from a dye block. Made a pastel green. I made two 10oz candles and 2 3 oz candles..from this green.. I scented a 10 and a 3oz with one FO. And the other two with EO, for the two with EO I used almond oil as a carrier oil. The two I made without the almond oil got frosting and the two I made with EO/almond oil got no frosting. So basically I'm saying maybe adding some almond oil or another oil will help.. This is just a guess of course because like I said I'm new and it's only a couple candles. I am mostly doing natural myself however, I like it because it will go with any decor and the nice ivory color goes well in my house.

:laugh2:

Islandgirl, tootie and Rhonda,

You are convincing me more and more to go with undyed wax.

I guess the thing right now with me is just getting used to looking at a white candle vs. dyed, especially after making candles for 10 years.

Thanks a bunch

Hi Jan,

Glad to see your post because that's what I want to do!! Dye-free on my candles, wickless & melts BUT keep my palm pillars colored. Have you ever had a customer ask you why you have the pillars dyed and not your containers? If so, what was your explanation?

Thanks

I went to no color soon after I started selling, so not sure if it would have increased or decreased my sales. I do know though that I have had more compliments about the no color than negative feedback. I have never had anyone actually complain about the no color but have had a few asking if they are all uncolored or if I had some in color, but this has been very few....not even a handful. I am glad I went to no color. I think it looks classy too, especially in the right jar. I will say that there are some jars that may look better with color but most look well either way.

Want to add....a lot of women like the fact that they can choose any scent and it will not conflict with the color scheme...these are the women that are very into cooridinating color in their homes. I have found there are many women like this.

Try no color. You may find that you love it and that it works for your customers as well. :)

I go naked too! :grin2: No dye here and LOVE it!!!

My philosophy is this....natural was matches any decor. For those people who couldn't buy Cinnamon candles before because red clashed with their bedroom colors can now inhale cinnamon due to a lovely ivory shade!!! :highfive:

Do it....you know you want to!! :yay:

I do some dye free, but the majority of my customers and my wholesale customers prefer colored. I can explain the lack of color as being a asset, but my wholesale customers and those that private label from me, prefer to have the color and not have to explain why they are not colored like "most candles". I do have some fundraisers that I do, where I only offer dye free candles in tumblers and they do well. So I think really you can go either way as far as the public is concerned.

Toni, my colored pillars are tilted layers and without the color they wouldn't be much purpose of doing them in the tilted layers. So to answer your question, no, they don't ask about why the pillars are colored when I don't use color in the containers or tins.

I went dye free after 7 years and very little problem. I have one wholesale account who still wants color and doesn't mind any frosting. My own mother was one of the major downers about it and last weekend she told me that she has decided she loves the dye free and how it just looks clean and blends with any room.

I can tell you from experience to be sure to write the scent on the jar when you pour. Mine tend to all smell similar to me on the day I pour. especially if I poured a bunch of scents and can barely remember them all-lol. I use a 2 letter abb on the bottom and after I label, I wipe the bottoms and put on warning label.

Traci,

Thanks for the heads up on the labeling cuz I've already commented to my DH that I could visualize myself putting Cranberry labels on my Apple candles. I know what you're saying, they all smell alike after a hard day of candlemaking!! Even in the past when I was using dyes, there were a couple times I ended up labeling something wrong. DUH.... You know, the ole' candle nose..

I appreciate the input from you other gals too cuz it's really given me the incentive to go "DYE FREE" now.

I'm concerned about the transition and what I'll do with the stock I presently have? I don't have a gazillion things but I do have enough.

Thanks again all my candle buddies

Totally agree with Holly. I have never dyed my candles. I have only had one customer ask me why are they all the same color and I told her, that way you can purchase any fragrance you want and it will go w/the color scheme in your home since they are white/off white and she said great!!! Do you have any cucumber melon and I sold her 4 of them. She said she loves the smell but can not stand the green color of the candle. I also agree with some other people here on the board, my mom (before we started making candles) would first go by the color of the candle because of the decor of the room and fragrance 2nd. I will for my close friends dye candles for them if they want it and the funny thing is they want the blueberry muffin fragrance but want the color to be burgundy, so that's what they get. I think as long as you have some color on your label or around your display, naturally that will help. Good Luck!

I gave up the dye as well and have never looked back. I love the natural color of soy. I've only had 1 person ask for green candles. Most people like the fact that they can place the undyed candle in any room and it matches their decor.

I too have been trying to decide whether to go dye free???? The main reason I have not is the wax looks dingy and dirty in between burns?? Not sure if this is normal for all soy or a combo of my wax and FO??? My mother of all people complained about how ugly they are after a burn....??? So still pondering here:confused:

Toni,

I've been dye free for a while now. It pleases my customers because they can incorporate the creamy colored candle with all decors. It's also one less variable to test. I recommend a uv stabilizer though because you will get less crystilazation and less fading. It will make a difference with the "dingy, dirty" stuff purebliss is talking about.

BTW, you may notice a slight wicking change. I've wicked down on most fo's