Average cost to make candles

Welcome to the board :)

No offense meant, but if you're NEW to everything, you really shouldn't concern yourself with a selling price yet. Even if you stick to one size and type of candle, you've got probably at least 6 months of testing ahead of you. If you keep adding new fragrances, like most of us who are addicted, that'll turn into more like a year or two...lol.

In asking about an 8 oz candles, I'm guessing it's a container candle. You'll need to figure out what it cost you to make it. What it costs someone else wont help you in any way, unless maybe showing you that your supplies are more expensive or cheaper. Someone who buys wax/jars by the pallet and FO by the gallon it going to have a MUCH lower cost then someone who buys wax by the slab and FO's in sample bottles. Anyone still buying by the slab and sample size really doesn't have a need for figuring selling cost anyway, because their experience level is going to be way to low to endanger the public by selling.

Best advice: Read, read and read some more. Then (or during reading) test, test and test some more. Usually the reading leads to knowing WHAT you're testng for and why ;)

No one can answer that question for you.

Base your costs on the materials you have and your area. If you're new to this, I wouldn't even worry about it till you know what you're doing.

Reason no one can answer ... you might buy your wax by 1 pound or slab and others might get it by the pallet ... big cost difference. You might buy one oz samples of FO where others might be significantly more ... big cost difference.

Shipping to me is going to be different that shipping to you (most likely) and that will affect your costs.

You might pay your electric bills and have a different rate than others and some (very few) may even have to pay their electric bills, but they might have to deal with configuring the cost of rent etc.

You have to figure it out on your own. There are links at the bottom of these posts that might help you find breaking down costs, but will likely lead you to the same kind of answer that I just gave you.

Mine range (no more than .75 to $1.00 difference). One batch may cost me $3.25 (16ozJar) the next may cost me $4.50. Over the holidays two years ago I got the cost down to about $3.25 to include shipping. I ordered 99, 16oz jars @ .50 each, 99, 25oz jars @.65 each, 99, 8oz jars @ .45 each, 500 lids (.35 each), 1000 wicks (.08 each). I also ordered about 300lbs of wax that cost about $300. Peaks have a special, 15% off any orders of 10 or more oils (I ordered 10). Did I confuse you yet????? At any rate I got my 16oz jars to about $3.25, 25oz Jars about $4.50 and the 8oz Jars down to about $2.25-2.50 to make.

One more thing, when I was selling my candles at a local flea mkt I would give a $1.00 off the next order if you returned the jar and lid. With that being said I have not ordered lids in over a year and just started ordering jars about 2 months ago, saved money and time on shipping.

Well that is all fine, and buying in bulk helps, but certainly wouldn't pass the savings on..... My wholesale prices are what they are.... if I can save $$$ somehow:yay:

Back to the thread.... it is all about your market, packaging etc......

Yep, you could get 1,000 different anwers to that question. Everyone has different costs. Everyone figures cost different. How much to charge not only comes from your cost but also what your market can afford. If you live in a poor area with high unemployment and low income levels you will get less for your candle than someone who lives in an area with good incomes and low unemploymanet rates. You have to do your marketing research. There is alot more to the biz than wax,wick, jar = MONEY. You have to do way more than make GREAT candles....are there others in your area doing the same thing?? If so how many?? You need to make yourself stand out and be different somehow.

First concentrate on makeing a great candle then worry about selling.

tootie

To further on what Scented said... I find it best when doing you cost estimates, to price as if you were buying minimum qtys. of each material used. That will give you the worst case scenario of what your price would be. If you do happen to pick up larger qtys. of materials, then of course you would make a larger profit.

It wasnt a bad question....lots of noobs ask it. There is so much to be learned and your head can spin right off your shoulders!!

You will do just fine....one step at a time.;)

tootie

I consider all of my cost, label, wick, sticker, jar, wax, additives and fragrance. And anything else I put into the candle. Then I double it for my wholesale price and double that for my selling price. If it cost 2.00 to make,:yay: then wholesale is 4.00, and selling price is 8.00. I found when I was testing that most of my friends wanted to buy them NOW. Once I got one down, I sold them one. Soon I was selling them a lot. That helped pay for the testing. So don't be surprised if they want them NOW. Have fun.

I consider all of my cost, label, wick, sticker, jar, wax, additives and fragrance. And anything else I put into the candle. Then I double it for my wholesale price and double that for my selling price. If it cost 2.00 to make,:yay: then wholesale is 4.00, and selling price is 8.00. I found when I was testing that most of my friends wanted to buy them NOW. Once I got one down, I sold them one. Soon I was selling them a lot. That helped pay for the testing. So don't be surprised if they want them NOW. Have fun.

Yea I let my friends and family buy my candles and test it out for me. hehe

BTW, how much scent do I put into 8 ounce? How much scent can 4630 hold?

I'm going to try to post calmly and objectively here, even though there are more ref flags going off in my head than I can count at once....

First are the serious safety factors... like a pocket of FO that didn't mix in turning it into a fireball, the wick shifting to the side making it shatter and sending glass fragments and hot wax flying in all directions, air pockets that turn the wick into a torch, etc, etc....

Now I'll pass on that and go on the assumption that you may get lucky enough to not cause any injury or damage.... if YOU'VE just started making them and haven't even learned what to test for, how can THEY know what to look for??? Many people here will let family and close friends test for them, but only after they've thoroughly tested them first and had repeated success for a while. Usually it to see if the successful burning continues under different conditions.

What if your FO is a stubborn one and doesn't mix completely and seeps out of the wax? What if the top cools too fast and leaves hidden air pockets? What if the wick gives a good burn at the top but becomes huge towards the bottom? What if, what if.... HOW will YOU know how well they're burning or even if they're safe if you're not testing them????

Ok, there are so many variables that I can't even begin to go into much detail.

Honestly, no offense is meant but this whole thread scares me to death :eek:

I've had my say, given my opinion and will step back now. You will do whatever you choose. I can only hope that you will consider the safety and well being of your family and friends, not to mention unsuspecting strangers, AND the future success of your business then step back, do a LOT of researching and TESTING for yourself.

Good luck

i understand where youre coming from. i never realized how scary candles are. :lipsrseal

thanks so much for the info though. i guess i will have to tell my family and friends to let me test it out myself before i can make some for them. i was just making the candles for them and asking them how it turned out and if anything was wrong.

I think I tested for about a year before I sold my first candle. Yes lots of people want to buy but I would not sell to them till I was satisfied that it was a good candle. I did not have this board to turn to either. I started out with KY125 and Vicky has amessage board on her site and that is where I asked questions and learned and several long conversations with Vicky on the phone too.

The best thing to do is test one wax or blend and one jar size at a time one FO at a time. I usually make up testers with same wax/fo/ jar and several wick sizes. Then I test burn them keeping notes and taking pics of each candle along the way. Then if I get the burn I want and all seems fine with the candle for me....I will make another and send it out to a friend to test for me. I have been testing ALOT lately and have NOT got even close to sending out a candle for a tester....except for my 6oz tins with the 100% IGI 6006. Those were easy for me to wick and are doing very well in testing.

So start lighting those candles up and start taking notes and have FUN!!

tootie

I think I tested for about a year before I sold my first candle. Yes lots of people want to buy but I would not sell to them till I was satisfied that it was a good candle. I did not have this board to turn to either. I started out with KY125 and Vicky has amessage board on her site and that is where I asked questions and learned and several long conversations with Vicky on the phone too.

The best thing to do is test one wax or blend and one jar size at a time one FO at a time. I usually make up testers with same wax/fo/ jar and several wick sizes. Then I test burn them keeping notes and taking pics of each candle along the way. Then if I get the burn I want and all seems fine with the candle for me....I will make another and send it out to a friend to test for me. I have been testing ALOT lately and have NOT got even close to sending out a candle for a tester....except for my 6oz tins with the 100% IGI 6006. Those were easy for me to wick and are doing very well in testing.

So start lighting those candles up and start taking notes and have FUN!!

tootie

Ok, I will. ;)

Candlemaking is serious business - and fun, too. But before you think about the fun, you have to get real serious about learning about safety. Candles are responsible for a huge number of fires each year mostly because idiots burn them but also because some are manufactured poorly. It's important to learn as much as possible about wax, FO and additives BEFORE you use them!

Ducky was real nice, but would you make a cake without knowing how many eggs to put in there? Or what kind of flour to use? Or what kind of oil?

Don't wanna make you feel bad - many of us had no idea how much goes into candlemaking when we first began, but we're here trying to help you learn.

DO YOUR HOMEWORK!! This site is absolutely jam-packed with information on all KINDS of matters relating to candlemaking. Learn to use the search tool - it's your best friend. Find manufacturer sites to learn about the products you are using or intending to use.

Read, read, read!!! Take notes! When your brain feels like it is going to burst, take a break, then read and learn some more. If you get stumped and can't find an answer to a question, we're here to assist and help out, but you have to do the work!

Slow down a little! You probably think you know how a candle should burn, but do you REALLY? Do your family members? I think you may find that you only THOUGHT you knew how to burn a candle let alone make one! :laugh2:I know it didn't take me reading for very long here before I realized that I didn't know jack about candles and had to educate myself!!:whistle:

Good luck and holler if you get lost!

i understand where youre coming from. i never realized how scary candles are. :lipsrseal

thanks so much for the info though. i guess i will have to tell my family and friends to let me test it out myself before i can make some for them. i was just making the candles for them and asking them how it turned out and if anything was wrong.

That is great to hear! :yay:

The board and all the people here make this a great place to learn. You can never read too much! If you're not sure about something and can't find the answer, just ask! We don't spoon feed info here, but we're more than will to help anyone who really wants to learn and takes the initiative to do some research on their own. Many of us really enjoy helping out but we still learn new things here from others too.

FYI: When asking for help, remember to give as much detail as possible. Type of wax, type/size of wick, size/type of jar or mold, which FO, pouring/cooling temp, how long you tested, the exact problem you have, what you've tried already to correct the problem and/or anything else that might help us to help you ;)