Water bath for rustics

I don't water bath either, but a typical water bath would long enough that the candle starts setting up, perhaps between 20-30 minutes depending on your temperature. Make any size you want or would like to have :) The shorter ones are probably the easiest though.

I don't use a water bath either. Just use a good deal of stearic and pour cool, pour sloppy if you want the look like in the directions on this site, or layer it, drape it, or whatever your hearts desire, and set up at room temperature.

No water bath here either - I just use a lot of stearic and pour around 155 into room temperature molds. Did take me a while to get it right and I have no idea why....I think I held my head the wrong way and didn't say the Saint of Candles prayer first.

DanaE

I wanted to do it because that is what the directions say?????

Trish is the Queen of rustics ... you can trust whatever suggestion she makes.

edited to add: Actually, a lot of the people who responded to your question are chandler queens. I think it's that I've seen more of Trish's rustics than anyone elses, followed closely by Scented (who is the "just foolin' around" Queen :P).

Thanks so much everyone for your input. I will follow what is the norm and not do a water bath either. I do wonder why the instructions on this site say to do a water bath? It does state that there are other ways to do a rustic, but I think it should reflect the norm of what people do?

Thanks so much everyone for your input. I will follow what is the norm and not do a water bath either. I do wonder why the instructions on this site say to do a water bath? It does state that there are other ways to do a rustic, but I think it should reflect the norm of what people do?
Are you indoctrinated yet? Conform! Otherwise your candles may not be like everyone else's.

hahaha - it didn't work very well when I did the water bath.
It may not work very well without the water bath either. Everything is trial and error, especially when you make a new type of candle or if you're new to the whole thing. Experiment and do your own thing. Try it both ways. I'm sure there's a type of rustic you can create with a water bath that everyone will marvel over and ask how you did it. Beware of rules!

My rustic came out beautiful tonight. I did it without the water bath and it looks like I was hoping it would. Now on to more experimenting. This is so much fun. I've only been using one color so time to experimenting using more than one color. I will start doing that tomorrow. Thanks everyone for all your help.