My First Pillar - Tortoise Palm

blt212

Sorry for the glare - my photography skills are not too good. This is CS's Tortoise Pillar Palm Wax and my very first pillar of any kind. It was so much fun to unmold. I'm not sure what's going on with the white color near the bottom..possibly I unmolded too quickly. It took all day to cool. Too funny, my daughter saw me gazing at it and asked when I was going to light it for it's first birthday celebration I told her she just can't understand unless she's been there.. Maybe I'll light it tomorrow and then stand back. :laugh2:

post-8455-139458446921_thumb.jpg

Looks great! The same thing happened to me with one of my tests. The white is where the wax and mold were not hot enough. It also needs to cool extremely slow. I cover mine with a thick towel. The wax needs to be poured at 200 degrees into a heated mold. This type of palm wax loves heat! LOL!

Thanks again for the nice feedback. I do have a question about wicking - I'm burning it with a CD22. I just started testing it and it has been burning for about 4 hours. Is it burning correctly? Seems like the mp is small but I've never worked with a pillar before....

Thanks

post-8455-139458446945_thumb.jpg

Thanks much....still working on the wicking. My CD wick kit doesn't go past #22 so I guess I'll need to purchase something larger to finalize wick testing....I'm thinking a CSN #26 from Candlescience might do it...that's the largest they have. Their CSN's jump from a #22 to 26....What's weird is their wick guide suggests a #14...I don't think that's going work if a CD22 looks like the pic above. :confused:

Brenda, the photo you included looks about par to me for a first burn. Palm wax burns down then out... it'll take a long time for that baby to burn down!! You will achieve a full melt pool after the second or third burn. For that size, I usually use a CDN 22 - it leaves a shell of about 3/8"- 1/2". If you want the candle to completely consume itself, you will have a tough row to hoe with palm waxes because the balance between a complete burn and a blowout is extremely narrow! If you keep the melt pool centered, the remaining shell can be lit with a tealight to enjoy for years to come.

So before giving up on your CD 22, let it burn at least halfway down... I think you'll see what I mean about it catching up, but it WILL take a long time... Big palm pillars like that are great to light and allow to burn for hours and hours. I am always amazed at how slowly and truly they burn. Good luck & post some more photos as it burns... :)

Stella...

Thank you so much for the information...I didn't realize it would burn that way or take so long being it's my first pillar of any kind. I'm definitely not shooting for it to consume itself....I will continue testing with the CD22 and post pic's along the way....as always your feedback is extremely helpful. :thumbsup: