tin wicking trouble...see pic

I am at a loss with tins. Here are (2) tins that I bought from Cierra candles. The horsepower is as follows:

8 oz tin 3.3" diameter CB3 Soy/Veggie wax Eco 12 wick

16 oz tin 3.9" diameter CB3 (3) RRD 40 wicks

I just used (3) RRD40's in my 11 oz barrel jars with a 4 1/8" diameter and it worked awesome!

Any suggestions would be great. Anyone use these tins before? They are really nice and I would like to get this to wick.

They had been burning for 2+ hours. The 8 oz tin has about a 1" melt pool. The 16 oz I let burn even longer and finally got a larger MP (not to the sides, but close enough).

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am at a loss with tins. Here are (2) tins that I bought from Cierra candles. The horsepower is as follows:

8 oz tin 3.3" diameter CB3 Soy/Veggie wax Eco 12 wick

16 oz tin 3.9" diameter CB3 (3) RRD 40 wicks

I just used (3) RRD40's in my 11 oz barrel jars with a 4 1/8" diameter and it worked awesome!

Any suggestions would be great. Anyone use these tins before? They are really nice and I would to get this to wick.

Hi,

CB-3 is slow burning. I have to use two wicks in the 3 + diameter tin. One wick just can't cut it. Did you try only two wicks in the 3.9. The largest tin I have is the 8 oz. (3 1/8" wide) and two wicks works in that one. I can't give you the exact wick because I did not continue to test it. I believe I used either two 37's or two 40's. That is great news on the barrel jar. I love wide mouthed jars. It also gives an awesome scent throw! :)

I am going to test the Hemps to see if they stay stiffer as it burns. I have them but have not tried them yet. I only have a sample pack. I will let you know how they do up against the RRD's. :)

The hemp wicks are a rigid wick, but the mushrooms you will get are terrible, just as bad as zinc. I loved the way the hemp burned, but got soooo tired of the big honkin' mushrooms. I used them for 4 years before finally giving them up for the LX wicks last year. :yay:

The hemp wicks are a rigid wick, but the mushrooms you will get are terrible, just as bad as zinc. I loved the way the hemp burned, but got soooo tired of the big honkin' mushrooms. I used them for 4 years before finally giving them up for the LX wicks last year. :yay:

Thanks Chris for the heads up on the mushroom issue. I will see how it goes. I also have LX's left over from when I tried them in paraffin blends. I will try those too. However, don't the LX's bend over a bit -- self trimming? If I remember correctly, that did not work too well in my jars with the big corners. Although, since the RRD's tend to lean that causes the same thing. :tongue2:

That photo doesn't mean much unless we know how long they've been burning. Somehow I don't think it's been 3 or 4 hours.

Now I understand that the CB-3 has an MP of 119, which makes me think you should be able to swing that 8oz tin, but I think you might need an ECO 14 in there and don't expect a FMP in an hour. You might also find it helpful to have some of the NST 2 treated LX wicks around (LX-24 and above) for when you need more horsepower. ECO 14 and LX-24 are roughly equivalent.

I agree they don't look like they were burning for 3 hours. However, when I first looked into the CB-3 I was aprehensive at first since it indicated a MP of 119 (I like to double wick). I found though that it burns VERY slow. It surprised me. I have more trouble buring it off the sides than the C-3 Cargill or Eco Soya 120. I tried to use one wick in a tin that is 3 1/8 inch wide and it would not get a complete meltpool in 3 hours or I think even 4 -- can't remember now -- but too slow for me -- and looked liked the 1/2 edge would continue to hang. :tongue2:

No cauliflower on the CB-3 (hooray!). I will try the LX wicks. Of course it is the only wick I don't have!!

I just put (2) 44-28Z's in the 8oz, we'll see how it does. I am beginning to believe that anything over 3" needs 2 wicks. I am just shocked that the ECO-12 didn't even put a dent in it. I see those tins for sale all the time with just one wick.

Something doesn't seem right here. It's true that with some waxes you might have problems with an 8oz tin, but I just wicked one of those containers using 3 different waxes. Even with the one problem wax I got a better result than that. Is the flame as small as it looks, and if so why? Can't get a full melt pool without fire. Is it possible that your wax is setting up a little concave and the wick is sitting in the low spot? That would semi-drown it and keep it from getting very far.

I have had the same problem with those 8oz tins, and I also use cb-3 wax with bw. I have tried to single wick with the LX's 22-30 and I can't get it to work. I have had to double wick for now, but would love to be able to make it work with just one. Holly is right, this wax burns very slow. These tins drive me crazy, I wish I could single wick.

Now I understand that the CB-3 has an MP of 119, which makes me think you should be able to swing that 8oz tin, but I think you might need an ECO 14 in there and don't expect a FMP in an hour. You might also find it helpful to have some of the NST 2 treated LX wicks around (LX-24 and above) for when you need more horsepower. ECO 14 and LX-24 are roughly equivalent.

Isnt the RRD NST2 treated as well? The two 44's have made a large oval. They left about 3/4" on either side so I'm getting close. Did you use a ECO-14 when you tested it? If so, did you get a full melt pool?

Something doesn't seem right here. It's true that with some waxes you might have problems with an 8oz tin, but I just wicked one of those containers using 3 different waxes. Even with the one problem wax I got a better result than that.

If you don't mind sharing, what wicks worked? The Eco-14 says it has a 3.1" MP which sounds great if it does!

The test of whether you've failed is if you've reached a wick where the flame seems too big for the container and/or starts to dance and soot before a test burn of reasonable length has elapsed. If the wick is struggling or the flame seems too small, then the container isn't (yet) the problem. That looks to me like where you are at.

With 2 of the EcoSoya waxes (I'm trying the third one today) I got a full melt pool with ECO 14 or LX-24. Nice thing about having the LX NST2 wicks around is that there's an equivalent to ECO 14 plus three additional sizes larger. If CB3 is extra viscous you'll need a larger size to get a decent flame.

To get a good test, make sure the wick isn't trimmed too short and that the surface of the wax is flat. If there's a low point in the center your candle will never work right. You should either get the wax to set up flat or hit it with the heat gun.

By the way, those test numbers for the wicks are only meaningful for comparison. The test burns aren't done with your wax.

I put (2) HTP-83's in it. We'll see how that fairs. The (2) 44's almost made it to the edge. I let it burn for a long long time..... I will go get some LX, ECO, and C85 wicks. I really like these tins and want to keep them.

Thanks for all your help!!! It sure helps ALOT!

***Holly, no more cauliflower (no additives either-must have been due to the remelt..?) and the Scented Bean is by far my favorite. Excellent customer service. Thanks for the tip :)

I only make 6oz. & 8oz. tins. Peak's has a cotton wick that works really well. I use a C-80 in my 6oz. & a C-85 in my 8oz. Burns right to the edge with no wax left on the side. Just my 2 cents.

hmm. good to know. maybe I'll have to try those.

I'm test burning an 8oz tin with EcoSoya CB-135 tonight. It was just lit so I don't know how it's gonna work out, but I thought it might be fun to let you folks look over my shoulder. I've got it wicked with ECO-14.

BTW, this wax set up about as pretty as I could ask for. The only flaw was a slight hairline on one side near the outer edge, but I'm confident that could be fixed by adjusting pouring temp.

post-710-139458384333_thumb.jpg

I'm test burning an 8oz tin with EcoSoya CB-135 tonight. It was just lit so I don't know how it's gonna work out, but I thought it might be fun to let you folks look over my shoulder. I've got it wicked with ECO-14.

BTW, this wax set up about as pretty as I could ask for. The only flaw was a slight hairline on one side near the outer edge, but I'm confident that could be fixed by adjusting pouring temp.

Great picture -- very pretty! Yes, I thought that the Eco 135 set up pretty too. The Eco 120 also sets up nice. I did not get any frost while the candle was new -- before lighting.

On that CB-3 wick. When I tried one wick I believe I tried all the way up to a RRD 55. I really can't remember for sure but I think that the largest one got to big -- flame got too big. Single wicking did not do well with the CB-3 for me. I would have to test again to double check the time thing but it was way too slow for me with one wick. I think it was even slow with 2 wicks but a nice slow. lol Actually, I would have to test the double wicking again to remember how slow or fast, but I don't remember it being too fast.

Great picture -- very pretty! Yes, I thought that the Eco 135 set up pretty too. The Eco 120 also sets up nice. I did not get any frost while the candle was new -- before lighting.

On that CB-3 wick. When I tried one wick I believe I tried all the way up to a RRD 55. I really can't remember for sure but I think that the largest one got to big -- flame got too big. Single wicking did not do well with the CB-3 for me. I would have to test again to double check the time thing but it was way too slow for me with one wick. I think it was even slow with 2 wicks but a nice slow. lol Actually, I would have to test the double wicking again to remember how slow or fast, but I don't remember it being too fast.

Hi Holly. Stay tuned because I'm gonna post the rest of the burn test as it progresses.

A lot of people don't mind double wicking or even like it. Those would be people we are not me. :) In my mind (purely a personal matter) it's less elegant and kind of a kludge to make it work. But even if you like the look, it's more of a pain to produce candles in quantity.

I would stick with a wax that gives me a lot of flexibility in the types of containers I can wick without pulling my hair out. I have good hair and I think it should last as long as possible. The waxes that are harder to burn, as far as I know they don't have any compelling advantages to make it worth dealing with that.

Hey Top,

You can really get me laughing. :yay::P I too don't think double wicking is as elegant. But, I am so convinced that it gives a better scent throw in my larger containers. I would not mind single wicking the tins if it were not for that darn hang-up. I never burned the Eco 135 candle I made because I noticed the cold throw was not as good as the C-3 or CB-3 Calsoy. Who knows. There are so many variables. I should burn it and see how it does. It seems like if it is not one thing with a wax it is another. :tongue2: Why can't we have it all in one wax?!!!!

Yeah, I know what you mean about hair pulling. I am surprised mine is not all gone by now. :shocked2: I wait for your results.

(2) HTP-83 burning for a good 4 hours now. I think this is as good as it'll get. I don't like the way the wick is turning out. Very mushroomy. Again, this is a 8 oz tin CB3 with a 3.3" D

TOPOFHILLMURRAY: I am really looking forward to your results. Do you primarily use the ECO135?