tin wicking trouble...see pic

(2) HTP-83 burning for a good 4 hours now. I think this is as good as it'll get. I don't like the way the wick is turning out. Very mushroomy. Again, this is a 8 oz tin CB3 with a 3.3" D

TOPOFHILLMURRAY: I am really looking forward to your results. Do you primarily use the ECO135?

Meltpool does not look too bad. However, it is that little bit of hang up that is hard to get. Now you can see what one wick would do. It burns real slow. Even two wicks burns pretty slow but a nice slow.

I can't use the HTP or Eco's at all in my cornered jars because of the way they bend away from a direction. But in a perfectly round tin it may not matter. At least both of your wicks are going in different directions. I am going to try the Hemps in my jars vs. the RRD's to see if they stay stiffer. The mushrooms don't too bad on those HTP's. Sometimes it is hard to get away from them. lol

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here we are at 1 hour. This wax sure burns purdy too.

It sure is "purdy". :) Love the look of one wick. One wick in a small tin is fine because normally you would use it in a smaller room. But in the big jars I like the double wicks because it gets that meltpool going and the scent throw.

Beautiful picture and beautiful looking flame!

TOPOFHILLMURRAY: I am really looking forward to your results. Do you primarily use the ECO135?
Did burn tests on Pure Soy and CBA2 already, but the CB-135 only arrived yesterday so I'm just trying it out. I've decided to choose my soy from among the EcoSoya products, depending on which proves to be most attractive and cooperative. I like my women strong and my waxes obedient.

Here we are halfway through the test. This wax has a really nice, smooth burn.

Hey, tonight I will light my double wicked Blueberry Verbena, Victorian, Candy jar with corners which is made out of Eco 135. My husband hates this scent, but oh well. It may not be a good day for me to judge the throw either since I am getting over a cold. :tongue2: If I don't light it tonight, I will light it tomorrow and take a picture of it.

Holly,

Do you think the CB3 will burn this well with an ECO14?

I don't think so. The reason being is it is even slow (but not too slow) with two wicks. I do believe I tried either a large Eco or HTP(other than just an RRD) when I tired to single wick, but I can't remember which one. You could try it. I have a tin with just CB-3 wax in it with no FO or dye. I could test it. I may have the other one too with Juniper Breeze in it.

Ok, I just looked. It does not look like I have an Eco 14 -- only as high as an Eco 10 -- unless I am overlooking it. So, if this is the case, I would not have tried an ECO 14. I have a lot of the larger HTP's. I really don't remember what I tried -- just that I did try a large one out of those two and the RRD.

This wax is a strong contender. Set up beautifully and burns really clean and steady. One thing I wasn't planning to evaluate tonight is scent throw, because my nose is FO-toasted this week and the candle was poured only 24 hours ago. However, I am noticing the throw.

Looks great! Who Hoo! :yay: Now if it can have an awesome cold and hot throw that would really be great. :D I know what you mean about not being able to tell for sure on the scent throw. Sometimes I can't smell the scents that I used to think were GREAT throwers. It really frustrates me and makes me think, "Maybe that one is not all that great after all and maybe none of it is as great after all." :confused:

By the way Top, what fragrance is it? That flame sure does look nice. :thumbsup:
I had this bottle of Apple Cinnamon FO on the shelf that I wasn't planning to use for anything. I got it back when I was sampling a few things from Save On Scents. It never even made it into wax, but I decided to use it for the soy testing and it's actually a pretty decent fragrance.

(2) HTP-83 burning for a good 4 hours now. I think this is as good as it'll get. I don't like the way the wick is turning out. Very mushroomy. Again, this is a 8 oz tin CB3 with a 3.3" D

You can control the direction that your HTP wicks burn by how you set them up in the container. If you look at the wick, holding it straight up, there is an upward "V" on one side and a downward "V" on the other side. Your wick will curl toward the downward "V", toward the container.

I couldn't tell by your picture exactly how they were pointing. But that will help a little with your burn.

You can control the direction that your HTP wicks burn by how you set them up in the container. If you look at the wick, holding it straight up, there is an upward "V" on one side and a downward "V" on the other side. Your wick will curl toward the downward "V", toward the container.

I couldn't tell by your picture exactly how they were pointing. But that will help a little with your burn.

Thank you, I didnt know that. I think I'll bag the HTP's and try the ECO14. If not, I think the 44's burned better, cleaner.

That concludes the test!

After 4 hours we can expect a wick to be a little bit in need of a trim and you can see that the flame has definitely grown, but I'm impressed with the fact that it's still burning rock steady. It not dancing around or even thinking about sooting yet.

Considering this is the highest MP EcoSoya, it did pretty well with the ECO 14. What's left on the walls is only a film of residue. Switching to LX-24 would probably get rid of that, or I could try LX-26 to get a FMP faster, but I think this isn't a half bad wicking solution even as it is.

As I mentioned, I wasn't planning to evaluate scent throw but I was noticing it even with my sense of smell fried and zero cure time.

All in all, the CB-135 seems like a fine product.

post-710-139458384703_thumb.jpg

Excellent! How did your other 2 waxes fair when you tested them yesterday?
Earlier in the week I tested the other 2 EcoSoyas alongside Cargill C-3.

The C-3 was easily eliminated for lack of obedience. How dare it not melt? It had no qualities that would make up for failure to follow orders.

CB-Pure Soy is a nice alternative for people who like C-3. They seem somewhat similar but Pure Soy burns better. Aesthetically it's kind of hit or miss. It can set up rather nicely but is definitely frostier than the other EcoSoyas and is prone to post-burn repulsiveness.

CB-Advanced (newer version) is the prettiest soy wax of all time. It needs 2 or 3% stearic to ensure it sets up with no problems around the wick, but then it's excellent. It doesn't set up perfectly flat, but it's always perfectly smooth and frost-free with nice color. It also sets up smooth after a burn, occasionally with a touch of frost. It's the melt pool star of all time. One downside is that it gets droplets of oil all over the surface when lit. Another thing is that it's not known for being a champion scent thrower. I'm not sure about this yet, but considering the aesthetics and easy wicking I'd consider trying to compensate for scent throw by careful choice of FOs.

What I'm going to do next is pour some glass containers to put away for a little while. I want to get a better idea of scent throw as well as adhesion and wet spots.

Great descriptions of the different soys Top. I appreciate your input. If I was not stuck on the CB-3 Calsoy, I would be testing/comparing the Eco 135, Eco 120, C-3 and KY-125 to one another right away -- comparing scent throw. I also will be testing the ADM in the near future.

Great descriptions of the different soys Top. I appreciate your input. If I was not stuck on the CB-3 Calsoy, I would be testing/comparing the Eco 135, Eco 120, C-3 and KY-125 to one another right away -- comparing scent throw. I also will be testing the ADM in the near future.
What is up with that EcoSoya CB-120? Officially it doesn't exist as far as being part of NGI's product line. I guess it must be a custom blend for BCN...? That's a clever way to carry name-brand wax and still make your customers dependent on you. One of the advantages of NGI stuff is that you can buy it all over the place.

Actually I just brought up their shopping cart and it doesn't match what's on the wax page. They sell CB-135 and what they call "Advanced CB-135" which is actually CB-Advanced. Confusing.

Hi Top,

I just looked too and I don't see the 120 in their shopping cart section. I bought it last year. Maybe it is discontinued and I did not even know. I just burned my Citrus & Teakwood tonight that I made with the Eco Soya 120 a few months ago and to let you know how different it is compared to the CB-3.....It has double wicks and I had it lit for maybe an hour and it already had a complete meltpool and 1/2 inch deep. This is in my Victorian Candy jars that have the corners. The CB-3 would not even be close to that. Actually, I could burn the CB-3 for 4 hours and I would be lucky if all the corners would be melted. It is nice that the CB-3 burns slow but when you have the kind of jars I do it can be a pain at times. If I had a smooth circle jar it would be a lot better -- easier to burn with the CB-3. The EcoSoya 120 leaves NO residue on the glass, unlike the CB-3. However, the scent throw with the CB-3 is better than the Eco Soya for that scent.

I look forward to more of you tests. :)

I think it looks like a beautiful burn - especially for soy. Soy sometimes will not get a complete mp the first burn or two. Soy tends to burn down then out so with a burn like that, my bet is that it will clean that tin with no problem. :wink2: I myself would be very happy and satisfied with that burn. Good job. :cool2: