Does anyone test fos in tarts...

WOW! :shocked2: What a great idea! I never would have thought of that. Although I just did make ab 100 "tarts" using 1 oz plastic med dosage cups as molds to give to people as samples to smell or melt. I wouldn't have thought of that for testing scent strength!

Learn something new every day :grin2:

Absolutely. I use my container wax as my clamshell wax, and I will pour up some clams to see if I like the FO in my wax before testing it further. :smiley2:

Does it give you an accurate diagnosis if it will throw well in a container with wicks. If so, I may give that a try. :) I have read before where some think that the melters give a stronger throw than their candle. Is this true? I have never made a tart or clamshell so I really don't know.

I think the tea light tart burners give off the best scent throw...I don't care for the lighter scent throw of the electric ones. The throw of a tart burner is better than a single wicked container candle. I burn alot of containers that are triple wicked for a good strong scent throw.

Holly, I think the tarts do give off a stronger throw, but it gives you an idea if you even like the scent. It may not be as strong in your container, but if it's a certain "smell" you're looking for this is one way to see if it is even close to what you want. As you know, oob can be sooo different when put into wax.

I have recently started to do just that w/ wickless candles in tins. I now refer to them as my "testers". I was coloring them, but the next batch of testers I do will be just wax (6006) and FO. I've been using an electric candle warmer at work, & I do get a full melt pool so the throws, depending on the FO of course, has been steller w/ some. W/o the risk of setting on fire papers on my desk, this has been a great opportunity to hear the thoughts of others about various FOs as they're walking by.

It's good to read more about other ppl's experiences with the tea lights & melters. Thanks for sharing. :-)

I have for my self that a candle or tart has a stronger smell on a candle warmer. i have had a couple of fo's that did have a full melt pool, like in the 8 0z jj , yet didn't have a good strong hot throw till i put it on the warmer. last week at flea market , a lady was selling candle and i bought a tangerine scented jj, wanted to see if i liked the scent. i had bought candles off her before and knew they were good. but this one, wasn't strong at all when i lit it, but did have a full m/p within 2 hrs. so i thought i would as least save the jar. i put it on the warmer and once it melted, the smell was good & strong . so i think there is a different in a candle with a full/mp about an inch deep, even wicked correct. than a warmer with a tart or in my case a jar with 6 ounces of melted wax. also in my tarts i add more fo. because of no wick, these are just a couple of things that might make a difference. it will be interesting to see what others think. but it has been my experience, that a few candles that i have had without a good strong thow in jar, has been strong on warmer.

See - I got to thinking - you really truly cannot get a good read oob (I mean - we all know that!) because sometimes the scent just blossoms in wax. And I have a gazillion testers sitting around my house of scents I poured a full candle of and didn't like. Yeah - I eventually do something with them... Anyway - I just got tart molds in and a tealight burner and have been playing and started thinking - instead of wasting 6ish oz of wax just to test an fo (not for throw or wick - just if I even like the scent) - why not put it in a tart? Huh. Maybe I do have good ideas sometimes :yay: .

Thanks! Jen

I always test my fo's in tarts first...just to get an idea of what it will smell like. I use different wax in my containers and pillars so I can't get a true read on them, but at least I'll have a clue. And yes, tarts are much stronger than containers and pillars...unless the container is double wicked...then I'll get a throw comparable to a tart. Pillars, no matter what type of wax used, only give light to moderate throw unless burned in groups of three or more. If I put container wax in a tin and place it on my warmer, the throw is just as good as a tart or better because the tin conducts the heat better and enhances the scent throw. I don't exactly like the look of the tin on the warmer, since the warmer I have is not fancy at all, just plain white plastic but I'd only use it for myself and not try to sell it or give it as a gift.

Fern -

And that's exactly what I'm looking for - is an idea of what the fo is all about - the nuances that come out in wax. I use J50 for containers and my test tarts so I'm using the same wax.

I wasn't believing people on the tealight tart warmer but that's all the store had and oh my goodness is the throw amazing!!!

Thanks, all!

Jen

Yup...the tea light burners definately throw the scent better than the electric ones because they get hotter...just like the tins on the warmers instead of ceramic or glass. I have no small kids in the house any more so I don't worry about how hot it gets because I know neither my husband, grown daughter or I am going to touch it any way.

I read all the posts in this thread and wanted to add my two cents...I

used to test all my samples in tarts only...to see if I liked the scent mostly, and I LOVE melting tarts.

I made the mistake a few times of ordereing whole lbs. of these awesome scents only to find that I couldn't make them throw, sometimes at ALL in a candle...VERY frustrating!!

So, from now on, before I'll order a lb. of scent, I will pour the sample into a candle and wick it to be SURE it will perform the way I need it to in a jar FIRST!

I hope this saves someone else from this aggrevation!!:mad:

Thanks, Sharon! That's the way I would do it too. Pour the tart - if I like it, pour a candle. I'm sure you guys have a gazillion testers sitting around too...but it's really driving me nuts. And I've gotten about 30 samples in the last week and when I thought of pouring all 30 and knowing that probably only 10 or less I'll want to order more of...I just got to thinking....kwim?

Jen

Does it give you an accurate diagnosis if it will throw well in a container with wicks. If so, I may give that a try. :) I have read before where some think that the melters give a stronger throw than their candle. Is this true? I have never made a tart or clamshell so I really don't know.

Yep, I think tarts throw better then a container. But, I like to test FO's this way to see if I like the scent, and to see if it is gonna "morph" in my wax. Some FO's stink in my wax. LOL

Personally I make votives to test to see if I like an fo. I always start with 1 lb of wax, and pour 8 votives. I am more likely to burn them myself that way, I can start my wick testing, they are just as easy to make IMHO, and I give away the extras, especially if I don't like the scent. Not everyone has a tart burner, but most ppl have votive holders. ANywho thats what I do.

I test all my new scents in tealights. This way I can burn them and see how they'll throw in my wax (because we all know that sometimes, no matter how great a scent is, once it's in wax, it can just disappear) Sooooooo..I buy the same scent from at least 4 different suppliers, pour my container wax into the tealight, mix in a little over 1 mL of scent and then test them each in a different bedroom in the house. Whichever one knocks my socks off when I walk in the room, wins! Saves lots on wax, too!! :) HTH