RIP Heat Gun

AHHHHHHHHH! Right in the middle of finishing the tops of my candles this afternoon, my heat gun burned up. Everything was going fine......then the gun switched into high by itself (blowing wax everywhere in the process).....smoke came out of the vents and it had a burnt smell. I immediatley turned it off and unplugged it. I checked to see if I had accidentally turned it on high, but the switch was still in the low position. DANG! :angry2: I haven' even had that silly thing a year, and have only used it three or four times ( I do not get to make candles as often as I would like). I only finished one candle top before it blew. I am taking them up to my mom this weekend and they look just hideous without the tops done!!!!:mad: I guess I will have to go out and try to locate another. I tried a mini haidryer that I had laying around, but it doesn't get hot enough on low and the high setting blows wax everywhere! Admittidley, the heat gun wasn't a very expensive one, but I would expect it to last longer than three or four times!

Thanks for listening to me vent!

Hubby came home and took it apart to see if he could fix it. A bunch of metal pices fell out if it. Apparently the motor blew. So I chucked that sucker in the trash! It would probably cost more to get another motor then to just buy a new one as I think I only paid $12 for it from Harbor freight. Thank god these candles are just freebies for family members and they will understand the tops being unfinished. I am not going to have a chance to get another one before we leave on Friday. They will probably light them immediatley and won't even notice the tops. I can only imagine the panic of tryingto get an order ready for a paying customer and having it break! YIKES! :shocked2: I feel bad for you on that one Vicki. I figured a cheap heat gun would last longer than 3 or 4 times used, but I am obviously wrong as the same thing happened to Karen's $60 number. I guess you just never know about how things are made these days, and it is hit and miss wether it be brand name or generic. Thanks for cheering me up y'all!

My first heat gun was an embosser and my daughter and I blew it up in a couple of weeks. We were doing lots of candles. Finally I found that I could buy reconditioned heat guns from Wagner. I had spent $60 on guns from Lowes, etc....then ordered a half dozen from Wagner and still have a couple of them left. I always make sure to have a back up tool for something important.

I am sorry you think your candles look bad. I think that the people you give them to will be so excited to be getting your special candles that all will be forgiven.....and as soon as they have been lit....who cares? (smile) Donita

Ahhh...This thread brings back memories...

I remember when my first heat gun died. I even started a thread on the OLD, OLD CT board that turned quite hilarious if I remember correctly. LOL I was horrified, I didn't know what to do without it. So I borrowed my friends and I killed hers too.

My dad bought me a Milkwaukee and you guessed it...I killed that one too (luckily my dad had it fixed under warranty).

I cannot function without a heat gun, I use mine ALL the time. Now I have 3, just in case. :rolleyes2

Thank you all for sharing your heat gun disaster stories and for the helpful suggestions too! :grin2: I know my family won't care what they look like.....they will be eager to light the wicks! I am the one who cares what they look like! Thanks for the encouragement, Donita! I thin on my next trip to Harbor freight I will pick up two just in case! Unfortunatley, I have never used palm wax, so I do not have any lying around. I can always shave some the leftover wax on top of them if I get too desparate!

I have a spare too. I lost one and ran out to buy a new one. You guessed it, found the lost one the next day but had already used the new and tossed the box. So now I have 2 and I have used both for almost 7 years now and neither shows any signs of trouble. I'll probably jinx myself now and they will both blow within a few days-lol.