How do you make $$$ with candles/B&B?

nikkidan

We want to start making soy candles and B&B...

So I sat down tonight, and tried to figure out how much we will need to spend to get started, and then how much we can sell that finished product for. We MIGHT make $50 TOTAL on 50 pounds of candles, and about $200 on 4 gallons of soy lotion, if we sell every ounce that we buy and make....how is this worth the time you have to put into it?

Hoping someone can enlighten me...we made our first candles today (from a kit that we bought, just to try it out)...and we had a BLAST doing it, and the candles even turned out good. I'd really like to do this, even as a hobby, but don't want to go broke doing it.......

How did you figure up that total that you would make $50 off of 50 lbs of candles? I can make about 300 to 400on 50 lbs of candles..roughly. Where are you getting your supplies? Also have either of you ever made candles before, the reason that I ask is because there is alot of testing involved before you should even consider selling candles and that part can get expensive. Candle making is by no means a get rich quick kinda thing, alot of people still have their day jobs and make candles, it takes a very long time for this business to carry itself and pay the bills, I think that if you are just looking for an extra income and doing it because you love candles than it is perfect. Hope that helped you some.:)

Hi and welcome to the board! Making candles isn't a good way to save money LOL, that much you've already figured out :D In order to make money at it, you will need to work your way through the maze of different wax, wick, container (if you use them) and fragrance combinations to find the most cost effective way for you to build a quality candle that people are willing to pay money for. As you make different kinds of candles you will discover that some of them burn way better than others, and some of them are just poopy...this is part of what our testing mantra is all about. Doing some research on supply prices will help you to see that you can save money buying things in larger quantities, and that all suppliers are NOT equal. If you spend some time on this board, you will be able to grasp bits and pieces of things..such as suppliers that folks use, creative ideas, and information that we share. Candle making as a business is usually secondary to candle making as a hobby...there is so much research involved, lots of development, tons of trial and error...and I don't think you will find ONE person on this board who bought a kit, made a couple of candles and immediately started a business. You may find lots who set out to do just that, but found just as you are learning, that it's one of those things that requires patience, money and time. I certainly don't want to squelch your idea of one day having a candle business, besides, you have already figured out that it's not quite that easy... I hope you stick it out, and discover what so many of us have...that making candles can be a wonderful creative outlet, and saver of your sanity, and I hope that once you've been at it awhile you'll start to see that there are ways to make money doing it~ I would suggest only that you learn to LOVE it first~ of course these are only my opinions, and should be taken as that, I'm sure others will jump in and share theirs as well.

I'll just be happy enough for my candle addiction to support itself one of these days. :D

I spent... crap, I'm really afraid to look... a lot on startup supplies just to start testing and I'll probably spend at least half that much or more again before I'm comfortable that I've sucessfully tested and gotten every possible outcome, good or bad. Even though I may never be comfortable enough to sell them to anyone, I still enjoy the challenge. That's all that matters to me right now.

Besides that, my family and friends really enjoy being my guinnea pigs.

Hmm. How are you doing your supply cost?

This estimate does not include labor. (which isn't much using bases)

For a rough example:

I case (4 gallons) MC Soy Lotion 15.95 x 4 = 63.80

Shipping on Lotion- 15.00

1 lb of FO with ship- 16.00

Colorant kit for lotion 9.95 (this would do more than 1 case of lotion)

Subtotal: 104.75 (this would make 128 of the 4 oz size lotion @ 32 per gallon)

Containers and labels- 35.00 (using malibus from Cotton Blossom with ship)

Grand total for supplies: 139.75

Cost per lotion: 1.09

Sell for 6.00 each- 128 x 6.00 = 768.00

Net Profit- 768.00 -139.75 = 628.25

Profit per lotion- 4.91

Profit per gallon- 4.91 x 32 = 157.12

This is actually a pretty high estimate- your costs would drop significantly if you bought supplies in bulk. I am just using this for an example and I did it really quick so I am sure I made some errors........ LMAO! :tiptoe:

Candles would have a much larger variance considering on the cost of jars, FO and wicks that you use.

LOL. To make money, you have to understand how to run a business. If you're just a craft/hobby, making a few products here and there, it's harder to make $$$$$. Maybe $, enough to pay you back for supplies and maybe a little extra $. You have to understand pricing, how to buy in bulk, how to advertise, how to control costs, how to..... all that unfun uncrafty stuff :)

Persistence! And welcome..

We're suppose to make money?

:laugh2: And wait until you find somthing else that you just have to make. And then that takes testing, and oh wait!!! I just gotta sell one of those too, and before you know it, the list is longer, and longer and longer! And those dollar signs fly right out the window :P But hey, you may still have great products, just alot of them LOL

I have to agree with everyone here on the making of candles. It is expensive and you need to LOVE what you do!! I am a @ home mom and I also love candles,,I do this mainly as a Hobby and for a outlet as it is a very calming Hobby. there is a lot of research and testing involved with it. You must read, research, take notes and notes and MORE notes, Then TEST, TEST and TEST again. and take notes on what you did or did not do. So there is a lot to consider. NO this is not a get rich quick Business. JMO,,,

We're not looking to get rich quick...that was never our intention. But we don't want to go broke either. Seems like you can make more on the lotion...so maybe we could do that and put that profit back in to candle supplies and testing....

What are some wholesale suppliers we could check into?

Sounds like you are looking for a get rich quick thing. I say this because your post has nothing to do with, "interest" in the craft. You said nothing about "learning" you just mentioned money money money, and figures and you need to buy this to earn that. SO my advice is to find something else. This craft takes way more than 500 bucks to TEST, and about 5X that to get started biz-wise. Oh and did I mention, that if you put out an un-thoroughly tested candle and it goes to crap in someones home, burns down their house, or worse, well then you will certainly be spending even more "$$$" in lawsuits. I am not trying to sound harsh, but just giving you some real "straight up" advice. HTH--Tess

We're not looking to get rich quick...that was never our intention. But we don't want to go broke either. Seems like you can make more on the lotion...so maybe we could do that and put that profit back in to candle supplies and testing....

What are some wholesale suppliers we could check into?

I would check out www.peakcandle.com and www.bittercreek.com to start. Bittercreek has a wonderful lotion base if you are looking to use a base. They have lots of other supplies there as well. Peaks has great waxes, wicks, etc.. as does bittercreek..you will want to take shipping costs into consideration for sure, if you take the time to read through this board you will find TONS of other suppliers to check out as well. Good Luck! :)

As I said before, we are NOT looking to get rich quick. Just thinking ahead before we get in too deep. We did have fun making the candles, and can't wait to try some more. We do not intend on selling any in the near future...we understand the risks, and definitely want to research into that more. We also had a good time making the lotion...and trying it out on friends. Thanks for the replies and info...keep it coming!

Oh...and we do have a definite "interest in the craft", as our husbands are soybean farmers. So our main interest is in soy, specifically.

As I said before, we are NOT looking to get rich quick. Just thinking ahead before we get in too deep. We did have fun making the candles, and can't wait to try some more. We do not intend on selling any in the near future...we understand the risks, and definitely want to research into that more. We also had a good time making the lotion...and trying it out on friends. Thanks for the replies and info...keep it coming!

Oh...and we do have a definite "interest in the craft", as our husbands are soybean farmers. So our main interest is in soy, specifically.

I didn't realize you had tested lotion already :confused: In your first post, you were still discussing how much $ you would make. Did you get some to test in the mean time? If so, then you should know of some suppliers, cuz I am guessing that you scented it too right? Plus, containers and such. I sure hope that you realize that you should not be jumping into this now just to get ready for xmas. I don't see where you would have enough time to properly test all of your products. There is alot of work that goes with candles, but also on the b/b side too. You have to list each and every ingredient that you add to your lotion according to FDA regulations. Were you aware of that? Plus whatever fragrance and coloring that you may add, on top of any additonal ingredients that you stick into it. Your container must also have all of your contact information for whomever is responsible to manufacturing it. That would be you, even if you use a base. So your name, address and phone number must be there. If your buisness is listed in the phone book, you can omit the address. Also according to the FDA, you must also list that "The safety of this product has not been determined" unless you are going to to lab testing on each product that you make.

I know this may come off as harsh, but I am just trying to make sure that you see, that either way you go, there is alot more involved than just the product. To properly follow all laws and regulations is a real PITA, but something that we must do. Have you checked into insurance? Are you going to be carrying that to cover yourself? If you have thought about all of this, and realize that it will take more than the $500, and you have the extra to spare, and the time to test, and make sure you follow up on all ingredients, and to make sure that you are following all label requirements, then I will wish ya good luck :smiley2:

Oh my goodness, no...we are not trying to jump in now and be ready with product by Christmas. Maybe NEXT Christmas.

And yes, I do have another post out there asking about required label information, and have been searching posts related to insurance too. So, yes, we are looking at the whole picture, which is why I am here asking questions :o . Though I do have to say, I think you've all discouraged me more than enlightened me....haha...but i'm not giving up, I want to do this!!:P

Keep the info coming!!!!!!

I don't think anyone's intent is to discourage you, however, we all feel it is important to encourage proper testing. We have had many that come on here thinking they are going to make a quick buck. New peeps are coming on every day, and some will actually make products to sell this holiday season. They either don't care, or don't want to test their products. When this happens, it gives all handmade products a bad name. I am constantly hearing, why are your products better than the last homemade one that I tried? Honestly, I can't answer that, however, I can safetly assure my customers, that I tested the heck out of them to ensure that my products are as safe as I can make them, and are made to the best of my ability. The way the consumer base views you is extremely important, not only to you, but to other chandlers as well. Getting a customer to buy a candle is fairly easy, but getting them to come back for another is where all the hard work lays :smiley2:

Oh my goodness, no...we are not trying to jump in now and be ready with product by Christmas. Maybe NEXT Christmas.

And yes, I do have another post out there asking about required label information, and have been searching posts related to insurance too. So, yes, we are looking at the whole picture, which is why I am here asking questions :o . Though I do have to say, I think you've all discouraged me more than enlightened me....haha...but i'm not giving up, I want to do this!!:P

Don't get discouraged! If you really enjoy making candles then you won't mind all the testing that goes into it. I bet you can find some good guinea pigs ... I know we all have friends and family who love to test our candles. As for making money, you probably could if you have an awesome product and can afford lots of money ahead to buy in bulk. In the beginning, I couldn't afford to buy in bulk ... it's taken me four years to get there! But, I don't do it to make money really, I enjoy pouring candles (I'm a stay at home mom to five children and I homeschool three of them so far) and its a nice outlet for me to relax after the kids are in bed. I enjoy selling my products to use that money to invest in a larger supply of candle scents and wax. I can't wait until someday when I can have 100 real sized bottles of scent (not just testers) and be able to buy 200 lbs of wax at a time instead of just 50lbs :grin2:

Hang in there - it also helps if you have business sense (which I don't) :P

Make sure you have a good $1,500 to invest in starting up making candles and such and that money will be gone before you know it. Make sure you understand that you will NOT make any profit for three years or so or until you build a base of very happy customers and don't forget about product liablity insurance either.

You need to go into this with your eyes wide open and reality front and center.