Big oops maybe

Jeana

I'd suppose it would depend on what exact item was left out.

When you are baking a cake... you can leave out the pinch of salt and be fine, but if you forget the eggs... :tiptoe:

Oversoyed, making soap is chemical synergy, and truly not equal to baking a cake. If you bake a crappy cake, it's still something harmless, for the most part. If you make a batch of soap and the "eggs" are missing, the soap is lye heavy. Do a Google on sodium hydroxide. It will enlighten you.

Do you make soap?

We are getting there slowly...

Sorry that a simple metaphor turned into a huge 5 page rant. But that's usually how it goes. Obviously there are people on here that are more well versed in soap making than I, but the sad thing is, rather than giving advice to the poster, they choose to create more drama.

Oversoyed, making soap is chemical synergy, and truly not equal to baking a cake. If you bake a crappy cake, it's still something harmless, for the most part. If you make a batch of soap and the "eggs" are missing, the soap is lye heavy. Do a Google on sodium hydroxide. It will enlighten you.

Do you make soap?

Sorry that a simple metaphor turned into a huge 5 page rant. But that's usually how it goes. Obviously there are people on here that are more well versed in soap making than I, but the sad thing is, rather than giving advice to the poster, they choose to create more drama.

The OP's question WAS answered quite nicely by several people in this thread. You just need to understand the seriousness of giving advice when you nothing about what you are giving advice on.

The OP's question WAS answered quite nicely by several people in this thread. You just need to understand the seriousness of giving advice when you nothing about what you are giving advice on.

Exactly!

1.The original question was answered.

2. It's ONLY 3 pages.

3. The number of pages will usually correlate with how far off base and/or how dangerous the advice given was.

4. I notice you still haven't mentioned that maybe, just maybe, your "metaphor" was way off base and that you don't have the experience to be giving soaping advice. You've played it off, said "umm, ok", said "ok, whatever" anything but admit that you don't have the experience and shouldn't give advice yet. See, we care about each other here and don't want anyone getting hurt or losing their business over a lawsuit. My guess is that until you stop pushing the blame to everyone else, the "rants" will continue because nobody wants bad advice given out. JMO

Soapmaking is trial and tribulation, just like any other craft. However, I will tell you this, lye is deadly. I know I beat a dead horse on this, but truly- it is a substance that can kill. Nothing to be taken lightly. I'd suggest doing a LOT of research on this board before attempting any lye process method.

This thread is a fine example of ~ before you talk the talk, walk the walk, so to speak. Please, think before posting. Pointing fingers at others only makes me believe you enjoy controversy. Which is non-conducive to the purpose of this forum. On topic posting is welcome. Otherwise, they will be deleted.

Well, a big thanks to all who helped me with this rebatching trial.

I did what Carrie suggested and it worked great. It even came out soft enough to pour into my mold again. I didn't add any chunks this time just the missing oil. It isn't even that ugly. If it turns out good enough, I will get a picture up in the gallery.

And not to worry everyone, even if I didn't realize that I left out one of the oils, I would have noticed how harsh the soap was. I test EVERYTHING, many times before I let it go to any buyers.

Thanks again :)

The 5 page rant as you called it, which, by the way is only 1 page on my screen because I have it set to 40 posts per page, was to clean up the mess you made by posting where you shouldn't have. A rather common occurrence.

Remember, when you point the finger, 3 of them are pointing right back at you. Kindly remember that next time you feel the urge to babble.

Well, a big thanks to all who helped me with this rebatching trial.

I did what Carrie suggested and it worked great. It even came out soft enough to pour into my mold again. I didn't add any chunks this time just the missing oil. It isn't even that ugly. If it turns out good enough, I will get a picture up in the gallery.

And not to worry everyone, even if I didn't realize that I left out one of the oils, I would have noticed how harsh the soap was. I test EVERYTHING, many times before I let it go to any buyers.

Thanks again :)

You will have to let us know for sure how it does when you get the chance to take a bar of it in the shower.

Do you make soap?

I totally agree, Mystical. When I give any advice over here, I will state that I've only made 3 dozen batches of soap CP and give my own experience. Then I'll explain it's just MY experience, not FACT!

Fire

I don't think she was trying to say it's ok to leave out one of the oils. I make soap, and I think the cake analogy fits, to a point. Say for instance, you forget to add the FO to your soap... Is it ruined? Nope. Perfectly fine. Or you meant to add sugar to help with the lather, and you forgot it. Again, perfectly fine. She said:

"I'd suppose it would depend on what exact item was left out.

When you are baking a cake... you can leave out the pinch of salt and be fine, but if you forget the eggs... :tiptoe:"

Meaning if you forget your FO (salt), it's ok. But with oils (eggs), you will have a big problem if you leave them out.

Key point is just to know your ingredients, and what you can and cannot leave out. And even if it is a newbie trying to make the soap, I'm sure they will be made well aware of the dangers of lye. Every soap site or book I've ever seen well advertises that fact that it's a dangerous chemical.

I know it was stated in the first post that she left out the oil. Yes, I did read that. But I just think that OverSoyed was just trying to help.

And yes, I browse the boards, I've been a member here since 2005... but forgive me, yes, it has been a few months since I've been here.

I know it was stated in the first post that she left out the oil. Yes, I did read that. But I just think that OverSoyed was just trying to help.

And yes, I browse the boards, I've been a member here since 2005... but forgive me, yes, it has been a few months since I've been here.

The point is the poster does not make soap and should not be giving advice when they do not know what they are talking about. That goes for anybody. They are not qualified to try and help out when they don't know about the subject at hand.

I should be around a lot more often now. I've missed this place soooo much!!! We didn't have internet access for the longest time. Then I got married, and now I'm 4 months pregnant. But soap and candles were at the back of my mind the whole time! *lol* I finally got the willpower to get my butt in the kitchen a few days ago. Was going to do some mottles or rustics, but I don't have any stearic left. So I did a whipped butter last night, and just finished a whipped soap tonight. I'm taking advantage of DHs stand mixer. :grin2: