newbie--melting in a soda can?

If your wanting something smaller than a coffee can then just use a soup can. This is what my sons class use when doing a candle project in there class. They are not as flimsy as a soda can would work if you just wanted something smaller and easier to handle.

If your wanting something smaller than a coffee can then just use a soup can. This is what my sons class use when doing a candle project in there class. They are not as flimsy as a soda can would work if you just wanted something smaller and easier to handle.

You have to be careful in choosing those though. Most all of them I've seen have a coating inside that the FO will dissolve if it stays in there very long. I have no idea if the small amount could cause a problem with burning or not, ie... possibly toxic, since I don't know what the coating is made of.

Just something to think about....

I've seen small 1-1/2 to 2 quart double boilers for $16.00 and stainless steel ones for $25.00-$30.00.

I use the enameled all the time. Those are every where even in camping equipment stores. The ones I have are over 3 years old and still going.

Soup can is a good idea, and probably you've got a soup or veggie or some small canned good you could use up.

Of coarse, keep in mind, especially if you're doing this with a child, that wax gets hot and it is a craft that you should definitely supervise and take caution with. And of coarse have fun!! ;)

Lol thats so cute.. Sorry not trying to knock you on noobness. Just reminds me of my experimental days when there was no candle how to forum.

Go get you a real pour pot from the craft store in the candle section. Even if candles arent your thing, that pot can come in handy later for other things. JoAnns has a 50% off coupon every month in their flyer, and Hobby Lobby has like 50% off candle stuff every month. As does Michaels. Then grab an old sauce pot for the water, and voila double boiler!

the sauce pan I use came from the thrift store ($1) and I bought another to use for leveling. Thrift stores are perfect for Newbies = you can get what you need for real cheap and if you like making candles, then you can invest in better equipment as you go. I also got a bunch of stainless steel coffee creamers that come in sooo hand when pouring layers. I think it was 2 yrs before I bought myself a presto.

All cans have the epoxy resin that contains BPA sprayed on the inside of them. It's what keeps the cans from rusting etc. Only thing is the BPA is very toxic.

At high heat, (like for canning or melting wax) it leaches into the food or whatever it's being used for.

The only brand known so far to not have it is Eden Organics.

http://www.enviroblog.org/2008/03/bpa-questions-answered.htm

All cans have the epoxy resin that contains BPA sprayed on the inside of them. It's what keeps the cans from rusting etc. Only thing is the BPA is very toxic.

At high heat, (like for canning or melting wax) it leaches into the food or whatever it's being used for.

The only brand known so far to not have it is Eden Organics.

http://www.enviroblog.org/2008/03/bpa-questions-answered.htm

That's good info. I know it looks different in different types of cans, but didn't know they ALL had it.

Hmmm.. I suspect this newbie was a hit & run, but this is an informative thread anyway :)

Oh well. The first one I kept for melting wax had a white rubbery coating on the inside, but this last one didn't have that. I figured it might've been aluminum, which as you know doesn't rust.

Darbla

I normally find something that belongs to my husband and use that! :laugh2:

I found a perfect knife for cutting my wax - in his closet - hidden. His big knife from Alaska! He hid it again! :cry2:

But, I'll find it, some way, some how! :grin2:

Love it! My favorite are cooking utensils that seem more useful for candlemaking than cooking... drives my boyfriend crazy!

Hehe! I tell him that it's natural (soy wax) and won't contaminate, not to worry:grin2: Besides, if I use the knives he uses for cooking, I know he'll keep them nice and sharp (makes cutting the wax slabs easier)!

Hehe! I tell him that it's natural (soy wax) and won't contaminate, not to worry:grin2: Besides, if I use the knives he uses for cooking, I know he'll keep them nice and sharp (makes cutting the wax slabs easier)!

You go girl!!!!

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: