Going Postal... The USPS Way!

OverSoyed

So, I just shipped out an order to a friend in California. I weighed it before I took it to the post office. 2 lb. 0.3 oz. or 32.3 oz. I checked on the website for shipping rates, and was quote $7.50 for priority mail (which was $2.00 over the rate I charged, but it's a friend, so no biggie).

I took it to the post office, they weighted it out.... $10.55! WHA?! It was 2 lb when I left the house. Could the air outside have made it weigh more?

NO!

The little .3 oz... the weight of 6 paper clips.... made it over 2 lbs... charging me the 3 lb weight. I argued alil with the bleached blond employee over the small difference. He just smiled and said "you better check your scale!" :o

I just smiled back and handed him my CC. After all, what can you do?

I would have wasted gas, to take it back to my house to repack it in a flat rate, and tape... so you just smile and EAT IT. :grin2:

I ALWAYS round up from what my scale says because the P.O. lady's scale is always higher and even an ounce is rounded up!

We're in a small town, so she has time to check packages, and she always double checks any pre-printed labels too, and will ding you if you didn't pay enough. She's only ever held 1 package on me though, a few others she let go through and just left me a note in my box that I owed extra.

I have been known to re-pack stuff! I just did it last weekend on an order going to Ireland when I ran the numbers and found out "Priority" was cheaper than Flat Rate. When I did my estimated charges, it was the other way around, and the final weight came out slightly different, so I repacked it because it was like $7.00 difference!

It doesn't matter. It may as well have been 2 pounds 15 ounces. The price would have been the same. It was over 2 pounds so you had to have put the wrong amount in the USPS calculator to get the price you were quoted. Is this your first time shipping anything?

I always add free tarts with an order, but check the weight first without the free tarts. I am not going to make anyone pay for something free. I do actual weight. How come you undercharged to begin with?

If you can weigh it and have internet access & a printer, you can pay for and then print your own postage at home - https://sss-web.usps.com/cns/landing.do

You know, I had wondered about borderline cases like these, which makes me hesitant to print and pay for postage at home. If I weigh it here and it's 2 lbs and I pay the 2 lb rate, then if the post office weighs it when they get the package and come up with 2 lb 0.1 oz, would they send the box back to me to pay extra to make up for the 3 lb rate? It would be nice if they could have 1/2 lb increments so there isn't such a big jump in price between a 2 lb 0.1 oz box and a 2 lb box.

You know, I had wondered about borderline cases like these, which makes me hesitant to print and pay for postage at home. If I weigh it here and it's 2 lbs and I pay the 2 lb rate, then if the post office weighs it when they get the package and come up with 2 lb 0.1 oz, would they send the box back to me to pay extra to make up for the 3 lb rate? It would be nice if they could have 1/2 lb increments so there isn't such a big jump in price between a 2 lb 0.1 oz box and a 2 lb box.

I've NEVER had a package come back to me for extra postage and I do have some borderline cases. It helps that I do carrier pickup so that it would be a royal pain for them to return it to me I'll bet!

Then again, the Postal Service in this area ROCKS!

It sucks... but there's nothing you can do. :wink2:

This has happened to me with several scent samples I have sent people. I weigh it out, put extra postage on it and it usually comes back to add a couple more stamps!:undecided

MY POINT EXACTLY! :highfive:

They like to stick it to you anyway they can. Raising stamps again here in May. My old carrier said he has had the same postal truck for 15 years. Nothing every improves with the postal service, but the rates continue to increase. You'd think they were still delivering mail by pony express! :tongue2:

I've NEVER had a package come back to me for extra postage and I do have some borderline cases. It helps that I do carrier pickup so that it would be a royal pain for them to return it to me I'll bet!

Then again, the Postal Service in this area ROCKS!

Yes they do like to stick it to us all the time, and so does every other place of business you walk into these days. Next time you know you have to consider those little increments as at least an ounce. Anyone that ships all the time would know this. Adding a click ship label could push it over to the next pound if you are really close and tape that label on with a roll of tape. They have no reason to put their thumb on the scale. Any PO I have been to has a scale for customers to use first so they know exactly how much it weighs before going to the counter.

hmmm...reading this thread makes me wonder if integrity has gone out of style.

OK, the post office has a set rate of shipping based on the next highest pound. That is their perogitive to set the shipping. You don't have to agree with it, but if you expect them to deliver your package you should abide by their rules. Rounding down just because you can from your living room doesn't make it right.

And Oversoyed - it asks for pounds and ounces. It doesn't ask for fractions on pounds but if you can't do the math you deserve to be talked to like a moron. - as much as it pains me to agree with ROF.

This is a huge pet peeve of mine. I don't understand how USPS and UPS and other shipping companies get away with rounding up to the next pound. If you were purchasing a product in a store, and they tried to charge you for 3 lbs of meat instead of what the scale reads (let's say 2 lbs. 3 oz.) they would get in huge trouble if they did this. Why can they get away with it?

Nancy

They like to stick it to you anyway they can.

"They" aren't trying to stick it to you - they are doing business in an expensive world. Fuel, salaries, equipment... Costs of their materials are rising, just as ours are - how could they responsibly NOT respond with rate increases? If they eat the increase they'll fail, just as any business would in the long run...

Any PO I have been to has a scale for customers to use first so they know exactly how much it weighs before going to the counter.

Not in any of the sub-stations or even the main Post Office in my town. Don't remember seeing any when I was up in big city Chicago, either. The counter workers will do a courtesy check for you but you have to wait your turn in line.

I could only imagine what would happen if that "courtesy" scale didn't match the electronic scale at the counter.

Couldn''t agree with you more! I get called a moron for not rounding up, but they are allowed to do it and I can't complain.

It reminds me of the movie "Father of the Bride." The scene with the hot dogs. You buy a pack of hot dogs, which contains 10. But the hot dogs buns only come in packs of 8. So you are forced to buy 2 packs of hot dog buns, or live with 2 bunless weiners. LOL:D

This is a huge pet peeve of mine. I don't understand how USPS and UPS and other shipping companies get away with rounding up to the next pound. If you were purchasing a product in a store, and they tried to charge you for 3 lbs of meat instead of what the scale reads (let's say 2 lbs. 3 oz.) they would get in huge trouble if they did this. Why can they get away with it?

Nancy

All the 'woulda, coulda, shouldas' in the world aren't going to change your mind, but.....

a. you KNEW that it was over 2 lb. when you weighed it, even if it was only a fraction of an ounce...it was over.

b. you probably weighed it before you added the label & tape to apply it, and that would have taken it over even more.

c. you 'coulda' just put that whole puppy in a flat rate box right there at the PO and saved yourself the additional $1.60 without having to go back home.

d. the clerk was just doing what he gets paid to do.

This is a common mistake made by those who are totally new to the world of business. Fortunately, we have options. I don't charge friends shipping when I send them goodies. I just cram as much as I can into a flat rate box, and off it goes.

Not in any of the sub-stations or even the main Post Office in my town. Don't remember seeing any when I was up in big city Chicago, either. The counter workers will do a courtesy check for you but you have to wait your turn in line.

I could only imagine what would happen if that "courtesy" scale didn't match the electronic scale at the counter.

They are in every PO I have been in and these are not big towns. Can't answer for Chicago. They aren't courtesy scales...they are the same kind used by the clerks.

Thankfully I hardly ever see the inside of a PO anymore because of package pickup right at my front door.

They are in every PO I have been in and these are not big towns. Can't answer for Chicago. They aren't courtesy scales...they are the same kind used by the clerks.

Thankfully I hardly ever see the inside of a PO anymore because of package pickup right at my front door.

For real! Cause by the time you factor in gas to get to the post office....whew. Shipping just went up on that package!