The Dreaded Wetspots

Anyone successfully conquer them yet?

I know Stella had some great advice to cut down on them - but I was just wondering if there is a method to put a stop to them.

I use additives/methods or what not to prevent them and the candles are soo purty for about 72 hours - then bam! Looks like a serious breakout. lol

Feel free to posts your success stories or failure attempts...

Pour into tins and it will solve your problem.

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Maybe that sounds flip, but honest to god, it's the only surefire, 100% solution!!!

"Wet spots" are caused by the wax separating from the glass for whatever reason - residue, temperature, wax that isn't "sticky" enough... You can do the best you can to make your candles resistant to this, but so long as wax and glass expand and contract at different rates, there will always be some potential for wet spots...

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Maybe that sounds flip, but honest to god, it's the only surefire, 100% solution!!!

"Wet spots" are caused by the wax separating from the glass for whatever reason - residue, temperature, wax that isn't "sticky" enough... You can do the best you can to make your candles resistant to this, but so long as wax and glass expand and contract at different rates, there will always be some potential for wet spots...

I know these lovely things - but you have thought someone would have invented something by now.....where is Top the mad scientist when ya need him..lmao.

I've learned to embrace the wetspots as long as it's only a couple of small ones. Especially after i took a loot at yank-me candles and their one big (whole candle) wetspot. If the consumer doesn't mind them i'm not going to kill myself to make them look perfect. As long as they throw good and burn safely.

Yes, it is called "Sticky Stuff". It is petrolatum to help soften the soy when it is a hard batch. I have been tinkering with J-50 and just a touch of 4630 to enhance adhesion. The ct/ht is good and the appearance is excellent. The cold throw is really awesome and with a little cure time the hot throw is good. A little coconut oil seems to enhance the throw but you have to be careful and not use too much or it will ruin the adhesion of the mix.

Does this make sense?

CM

I use to be anal about wet spots, till I figured out there is really nothing you can do to prevent them. One minute the jars look great, couple hours later wet spots. I have never had any complaints from customers.

I checked out expensive candles and found they too had wet spots. I finally, decided it was me that was picky about the wet spots. Anyway you can't control temperature when they are shipped, so let's all stop worrying about something we can't control.:D

We switched from J223 to 4630 because I just could not "embrace them" - they annoyed the heck out of me.

I have found that even using 4630, occasionally I will notice wet spots. This is usually if they have been in a cool area - in the truck while carting them to shows, when our work area in the basement is cool. Otherwise, they are definitely an improvement over what we experienced with the J223!

I use 4627, which I thought was supposed to be very adhesive.

I didn't anticipate having a huge problem with wet spots.

I've tried every trick I have found here on the forum........and within a short period of time, my candles are always full of wet spots. Lots of them. They look horrible, and it REALLY bothers me. :(

Discouraged,

dana

About 1 out of 3 of my parasoy and all soy jars gets a wet-spot. Some seem to disappear or shrink after a few days. I'm with earthfriendly on this one, who cares. After spending months and months obsessing I went to a store that sold expensive soy and palm containers and lo and behold, some had wet-spots, That's when I decided I was being way to nit-picky.

I only made tins for my first year of candle making and just within the past few months I added glassware. I use EcoSoya CBA and I have almost no wetspots. If I do, they come and go with the change in temps. When reading this I went and checked my stock of about 50 apothecary candles and none had wet spots. How I manage not to have them, I have no earthly idea. I heat my containers, pour slowly so that the jars have chance to reach a similar temperature with the wax. No additives. Our house stays about 72 degrees. I let them cool as slowly as possible.