craft show

Sweetie-- first you need to breathe..... it will be okay. You will do just fine. The thread on craft shows will helps lots.

My rule of thumb is to try to have fun with it and use every show as a learning experience. Once you start setting up and working you won't have the time to worry anymore anyway.

You will have fun, trust me! I was sooo nearvous at my first show. But once it starts and you start interacting with the customers (people who come to craft shows are almost always very nice and kind people) you will be too busy to be worried. The above thread is VERY helpful.

One new thing I've learned is make sure you have a way out from behind your booth. My last show, I was against the wall in a 8x5' spot, had an 8' table and everyone else on both sides of me had their booths positioned to where I was trapped and had to move stock & crawl under my table to get out everytime I restocked or had to leave.

Each show is a learning experience to improve for the next. Have fun!

I have learned to not stress too much. Your display will rarely be perfect, you won't have all the scents that customer will ask for and you will never bring enough of the show's biggest seller because it changes from show to show. No matter what happens, there is always another next show so relax, have fun and keep a little list of all the things you would do different so the next time you can get it a little better. If you get to caught up in what isn't right you will forget to have fun!

And run a tartwarmer if at all possible to bring people over to find that wonderful scent!

You've gotten some great advise. Check out the thread. Has most of the info you'll need. I'm in a rural area so I do take local checks since I'm not set up for credit cards.

Best advise I can give you is smile and have fun. And take a roll of packing tape. It is the craft show version of duct tape. You can do or fix just about anything with it.

Don't forgets - cause I always forget something:

Business cards

Brochures if you have them

bags

change

I second this. And I am always popular with someone who borrows my tape.

AND something to write with. Sounds simple but I managed to get to one show without anything.:)

The first show is the worst for nerves. But after that it is sooo simple. You will feel like a professional.

Take a little notebook or notepad so you have somethig to write on if needed.

Plenty of change is a must! Take a calculator, too.

And good luck! My first show of the season is in a month.... I'll be watching to see how everyone else's early shows go.

My first time was terrifying also, I nearly made myself sick, now I'm a seasoned pro :o . I second most everything in the linked thread above especially and plus:

Get some rest the night before. DO NOT stay up late making anything. Last minute labeling can be done while sitting at the show. There is usually downtime once you're all set up.

3 years and I have never gotten a bad check-so I take checks. I have gotten bad cards, tho. Check Id and get a phone #.

I wear a waist apron and keep my cash, checks & cc slips in a thing in the pocket at all times. I put it on before getting in the car and don't take it off til I get home. If it's a multi day show-pull out the days profit and leave it home-take only change.

Essential items: receipt book, pens, scissors, screwdriver, hammer, pony clamps, tape, bags, twine.

relax, you'll do just fine you've been given some good advice.

Make yourself a little check-list so you'll be sure not to forget anything. I too have forgotten to stop at the bank & get change and that wasn't fun :sad2:

just remember to be friendly,and ready to answer questions about your products. and don't let it bother you if you overhear

someone complain about prices or tell their friend "oh look ,we could make this ". That used to infuriate me back when I started doing shows. :angry2: Best of luck to you

If at an outdoor show, don't burn anything be it a candle or a warmer, etc that is scented as peach or honeysuckle.......it attracts too many bees!!!!!

That is funny, but true....

I am new to candle making, but have worked many many shows. my first shows where Gun and Knife shows, I started at 13 years old.

For the most part people are very nice. Even the other vendors.

One hint is to come early, set up and be ready to make a run to Walmart for whatever you forgot to plan for.

It will happen. It is ok.

DONT WORK ALONE, the bathroom is the enemy if you are alone, customers can be... well.. you know. It just doesn't work.

GUARD your money, and keep it behind the counter and not on your display area. A money apron is sometimes easier. ( LESS SECURE THO)

BRING PLENTY OF CHANGE FOR 100's and 20's

That seems to be the only denominations people have at shows.

Try and price your items to be rounded off with tax included to even numbers. ( 18.47 + tax = 20even) ( or whatever it needs to be ) This way all you need are 20's 10's and 5's for change.

Early in the show you seem to get the biggest BILLS so be prepared. AM people HAVE more money it seems. OR atleast BIGGER BILLS.

RELAX RELAX. If you plan ahead and even set up your display at home to see how it looks before you get there. Then you can spend your time SELLING

AND SELLING pays the BILLS.

BRING STUFF TO DRINK and EAT.

THERE STUFF SUX AND IS EXPENSIVE ( USUALLY )

DONT SPEND YOUR MONEY SHOPPING AT THE SHOW.

You are there to get PAID, not to GET STUFF.

I have seen so many people spend more than they made all weekend on SUNDAY.

If you have any more questions Please ask