From CBA to CB135

OK After not getting much scent throw from CBA with many variables (pouring temps, FO loads, testing and so on) I got fed up and switched to CB135. I love the scent throw from this wax, except........... the frosting is driving me nuts!!!! I have several candles that I am happy with and want to stat offering them to friends and family. Very little mushrooming, great scent, great burn. It's just that stupid frosting!

Is there a way to get rid of it all together or at least reduce it?

I don't know what I'm doing differently, but I hardly get any frosting with CB135 unless the candle sits around for a few months. Not sure what to tell you here. would be interested to see how many others have frosting issues.

Hell I'm the first to admit I'm wrong so maybe it is me. I have been heating the wax to 155, adding the scent and dye (liquid) stirring for 3 minutes then letting it cool to 125. I get my jar ready and pour at 120. Am I doing something wrong?

My experiences with both the CBA and the 135 frustrated me to no end. The CBA never had the scent throw I was looking for and the 135 had frosting 9 times out of 10. I tried every variable I could think of. When I got lucky only two of my three jars in the same batch would frost. I finally got fed up and switched wax's.

Some people really like the look of the frosting. If you like everything else about it maybe you should try some out with friends and family and see what they think of them.

I am using my own soy blend, but also had serious frosting issues. I ended up adding 2tsp USA pp and pouring between 100-105. I can now produce beautiful frost free candles.

I am going to try backing the USA down to 1tsp pp as my humidifier is working again and the extreme dry seemed to intensify the problem. It was so dry in here there was static galore!!

HTH

Hell I'm the first to admit I'm wrong so maybe it is me. I have been heating the wax to 155, adding the scent and dye (liquid) stirring for 3 minutes then letting it cool to 125. I get my jar ready and pour at 120. Am I doing something wrong?

I heat to 180 - 185, maybe that makes a difference???

Yeah that must be it. I am going to make some tonight and heat to that temp. What do you pour at?

Well when I was doing CB135 straight up, I would pour around 107. I know some go lower. I'm developing my own blend and have to pour higher now.

I'm having the same issues as you flamey. I just switched to the cb135 due to the fact I could not get the cba to give me a nice hot scent throw. Now I have been pouring and testing the crap out of cb135 to get a nice candle. I found no changes adding bw, so then I added coconut oil. I do get a bit better throw and it looks creamier, not as much frosting as without the coconut oil. I also was doing what cs states for that wax, heat to 185 pour at 125. Doesn't work for me, I found if I heat to 195 and poured no lower than 145 it looks so much better. I'm testing 2 different candles last night, I poured one at 140 w/o coconut oil and one I poured at 145 with the coconut oil and the one I poured at 145 looked much better. The one I poured at 140 didn't look as nice. The 140 had pulled away from the jar half way up from the bottom. Then the top adhered to the jar. The one with coconut oil had a bit more scent throw but not by much. My tarts look better with the coconut oil but I still can't get that pretty creamy look to my tarts like the cba gave me. They almost look like they have a chalky layer on the outside of them. I'm thinking about trying that USA they keep talking about on here. Does anybody know where to get it? Keep me posted if you find any remedies for the cb135 flameyjamie, I'll do the same if I find the perfect mix, lol. Its frustrating but then sometimes I wonder if I'm being to fussy. My husband thinks I am, I must be asking him to sniff way too many candles.

I use CB-Adv to help solve the throw issue I added 1 tsp coconut oil per pound. It also helped with the frosting as well. There is a long thread in the Veg Wax Board about using coconut oil as an additive.

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52565

I use the Louann brand which you can find at the grocery store. For less than a $3 investment I think it's worth trying.

OK I will coffeebean. I actually poured a candle this morning. Used 75% CB135 and 25% CBA. Added in i tsp. coconut oil and 1/4 USA (I hope I added the right thing, USA is UV Inhibiter,right?) I heated to 185 and poured at 160. I know some may say that is too hot to pour but I am trying it anyway. It's all about trial and error, right? Where is VanillaSniffie? She was working with CBA and had good results at one point in time and then posted that she had the same results with CB135. Anyway, So we'll see how that does. If it doesn't improve the candle I am thinking about changing brands of soy. I will let you know.

USA is not UV.

USA = "Made Especially for Soy Wax! This Natural Universal Soy Wax Additive has a much higher melt point, so the more you add, the harder and firmer your candle will be. It also has emulsifying properties such as creating homogeneity and surface tension, which will give your soy wax a creamer and smoother appearance."

UV = "This additive helps prevent color fading for all types of candles and all colors. A must for those who sell candles outdoors or under fluorescent lights!"

HTH

Actually... Never said I had a "formula" for both that worked well. What I did say was... I was thinking about going to CB135 because same as you, I am not getting much HT with CBA. I am thinking about going to a different brand of Soy all together because I have about had it. I don't know what I am doing wrong but it just isn't working for me. I know there are candle makers out there that just make paraffin and that may be what I have to do. Also something I learned on here, you may have just gotten a bad batch of wax. But I am no expert so I am not going to offer any advice. Sorry.

I'm going to chime in here. I am new to this board but not new to candle making. My husband and I are the heart and soul of Sweet Scents Candles. I live in Lakewood, Washington. It's the Western part of the state in the Tacoma area. Anyway. I have been making candles for over 4 years. Although I use some of the obvious suppliers for wicks, dyes, etc. there is a company here in town. They are called Swan's Candles. I only use their soy. Like most of you I have tried CB135. I didn't like it. From the appearence, to the HT and CT, it just sucked for me. i am not putting down anyone who uses it and likes it. I am just offering a solution for those who don't. I use Swan's AccuSoy and love every single bit of it! It has wonderful jar adhesion, smooth creamy tops and excellent throw. The only downfall is it seems to have a bit longer curing time. But big deal. Like I said, it's just a suggestion, nothing more.

I will add.... location (climate) does have everything to do with soy performance. I thought in the beginning... how can that really play such a big role... but it does. A friend used the same exact formula and additives (same supplier for add.) as I, with totally different results.

She got beautiful creamy candles.... I got a big snarky frost pit. I realized later that my humidifier had stopped working and the house had gotten very dry. Once I got the humidity level back up the frost really minimized. I now can make a pretty nice looking candle.

I never had a frost issue with the CBA. I got very beautiful, creamy candles with no wet spots. Only issue was HT. Which if you can wait will be there after a long cure (it did for me). I am way too impatient for that so I have been on the quest for a great blend that works for me in my location.

Keep testing and playing around. Just becasue it works for some, doesn't mean it will work for others AND just because others don't recommend something doesn't mean you can't try it!! Test on!! You WILL find a wax that works for you.

Good Luck

I had good luck cooling CB135 down to cough syrup consistency. But even if the candles come out perfect, it may just be a matter of time before they frost. If you happen to have access to a temperature-controlled bank vault, that would be a good place to store them.

Yep flamey I tried the mixture of cba and cb135 and it just took away my hot scent throw. I read what sweetladyjen wrote and I wonder if thats worth a try? So far with heating up to 195 no lower than 185 then pouring at 150 and adding the coconut oil they have been much better. I am going to test the two I poured last week. One with 1/2 TBS coconut oil and the other just plain cb135. They are both the same jar,wick,scent,poured the same temp ect... If the one with co comes out better thats what I will do with all my candles then. I have everybody sniff when they stop in and all the people have chose the cb135 with co having a bit more scent to it. I've got to sit down and learn how to post pics on here to illustrate my testers. You all are so informative and a great help, not only am I addicted to this testing, I'm always on here reading, lol.

I have less frosting and smoother tops when I pour cooler. Never more then 125, and best at 100, but so hard to wait for it to cool off! However, when the candles get chilled from the overnight temps in my garage....................they frost anyway!!!!!:sad2:

Ecosoya PB has a very good scent throw. I give my family tarts to test all the time and they have all commented on how good they smell and that they last a long time.

This wax I am VERY happy with!! Now if I can come up with a container blend that makes me just as happy!

HTH

Actually even with the wrong thing added, they did not do too bad. There is a little frosting on the top outer edges but nothing on the sides. I could live with this. I will burn it Saturaday and test the scent throw. It's got a great CT at least. I made one without the UVH (wrong thing) and it was fine too.