From CBA to CB135

I was talking with a woman that has a little boutique here in my town, she makes candles as well. I was hoping she wouldn't get mad at me for asking but I asked her how much FO she adds to her soy. She said for years she has had people tell her they add no more than 1oz. pp but she doesn't listen to them. I laughed my head off. She said that she started adding 1 oz. but didn't get the throw she wanted (she uses a diff brand of soy) and started experimenting by increasing the FO loads a percentage at a time and ended up with roughly 9%. I gasped and said everyone keeps telling me that is way too much. She laughed at me and said with soy you can add a little more that the typical 1 oz. pp but just be consistant with heating and pouring temps and all of that. So I bought a couple of her candles and asked what % of FO they all had and she said 9%. Came home and burned Grandpa's Pipe. Wonderful candle. No soot (of course... it's soy) , very little mushrooming. Some but not enough to even worry about and AWESOME scent throw, both hot and cold. So... Like her... I am going to increase my FO's a little at time, remain consistant with my temps and try that. I was flabbergasted that she used 9% FO.

Just curious, do all of you use more FO with soy?

Do you temper your wax? I've been playing with tempering lately, although I use a different wax. But recently w/adjustments to my various temps, I've found a good bit of difference vs. when I don't temper. I have achieved better glass adhesion and best of all BEAUTIFUL CREAMY SMOOTH TOPS! Just a thought. AND if you're using a presto pot, it's so effortless to add this step. When I was using a double boiler, it was entirely too time consuming.

Best of luck to ya!:cheesy2:

Kathy F.

When I use CBA straight I have always used roughly 9-10% FO. One must remember that results will differ from area to area as well as elevation, and FO brand. I've always tested my FO's from my suppliers to compare which gives the best results. Buying 3 or 4 of the same fragrance from each of our suppliers has always been my way of testing to achieve the best results thus giving our customers the best I can offer. Trust me, testing is an ongoing operation, almost as much as the actual production....after having been making candles for almost 30 years.....I don't want to even think of how many hours of testing I've done. :eek:

When I use CBA straight I have always used roughly 9-10% FO. One must remember that results will differ from area to area as well as elevation, and FO brand. I've always tested my FO's from my suppliers to compare which gives the best results. Buying 3 or 4 of the same fragrance from each of our suppliers has always been my way of testing to achieve the best results thus giving our customers the best I can offer. Trust me, testing is an ongoing operation, almost as much as the actual production....after having been making candles for almost 30 years.....I don't want to even think of how many hours of testing I've done. :eek:

GOOD advice, BeechCreek!! :)