Free fresh GM!! How to store it.

tootie04

I have a friend who has a few goats and they are going to GIVE me fresh GM:tongue2: . I use GM in every batch of soap except a very few.

What is the best way to store this. Can I pour in ice trays and freeze it?? How long will it keep?

I have always worked with canned GM.

TIA

tootie

My goat friend just called with more milk for me, too! Another one kidded last night. What I do is measure out the amounts I want and put it in zip lock freezer bags and freeze it. I use it up pretty fast, so I really don't know how long it will last.

If you freeze it and keep it in like a zip lock it will last a LONG time, especially since you are soaping it and not consuming it. I've had some frozen in my freezer for about 2.5 years (forgot it was in there and it was in the back hiding) and it soaped up just fine.

You can put in ice cube trays, but after it's frozen I would transfer them to some sort of bags so as not to get freezer burn on them.

If you freeze it and keep it in like a zip lock it will last a LONG time, especially since you are soaping it and not consuming it. I've had some frozen in my freezer for about 2.5 years (forgot it was in there and it was in the back hiding) and it soaped up just fine.

You can put in ice cube trays, but after it's frozen I would transfer them to some sort of bags so as not to get freezer burn on them.

That is what I do. I can do it either way though. I like the cubes because they are easier to work with when pouring the lye on them.

Nice to know it will keep awhile!!

tootie

I freeze my goat milk in quart yogurt containers and the plastic containers that my shortening (48 oz) comes in. I bought a small chest freezer just for goat milk and these containers stack neatly and I can put a lot of them in the little freezer. At one point I weighed the milk and labeled the container but I have gotten lazy and just fill her up and freeze. I let the frozen container sit on the counter for awhile when it is time to soap and it will dump out into my plastic bucket easily. I then add a little cold goat milk to get the exact weight for my batch of soap and I am good to go.

Be sure to homoginize it first. Never soap with raw Goats milk! :shocked2: In some statates that totally against insurance policies. You can read more about it on the Dish.

I have a friend with dairly goats and I buy milk from him and he homogizes it for me before selling!

Fire

Be sure to homoginize it first. Never soap with raw Goats milk! :shocked2: In some statates that totally against insurance policies. You can read more about it on the Dish.

I have a friend with dairly goats and I buy milk from him and he homogizes it for me before selling!

Fire

Goat Milk is naturally homogenized. Do you mean pasteurized??

Fire

What difference would pasturizing it make....it is only going into soap...I am not drinking it. I would think it would not make a difference. I will have to search the Dish for more info.

how possibly can something survive saponification that wouldn't in pasturization? I pasturize my GM (and every other liquid used) for lotion, but for soap? I know a lot of exclusively GM soapers like myself who have thier own goats and not a one that pasturizes before they use it in soap.

I drink it raw too by the way...and a lot of people do and don't keel over dead. I realize that some cannot tolerate it raw and that in some states it is illegal to sell raw milk to be CONSUMED, but for soaping? Here in WA raw milk is finally able to be sold legally from certified farms. Prior to a year or so ago even if you sent milk home with a bottle kid it had to be colored and labelled not for human consumption. (still do if you are not a certified raw milk farm)

Pasturization would probably not have a negative affect on the soap, but who wants that extra step? Freezing it alone is hassle enough!

I'd be interested in a link to that thread as I can't seem to find it in my search there....

I use raw fresh goat milk in soap. I pasteurize for lotion. As hot as my lye solution and gelled soap gets, I do not understand the need for an extra step. I have a LOT of goat milk and do not pasteurize any of it. We use it raw in the house and for cheese and soap.

I also searched but found nothing to substantiate pasteurizing goat milk for soap. If you can put pumpkin, carrots and cucumbers in soap, why not raw milk?

I don't pasturize. I did with the first 5 gallons I ever got because I read about how it should be done with GM in one of my soaping books. I thought it was a PITA and a hassle, and after that with all the searching I did on the various forums, I couldn't find anything anywhere as to what the benifits were and if it was an actual MUST to do, so I stopped doing it altogether.

I agree that the milk will be "pasturized" enough through the saponification process.

how possibly can something survive saponification that wouldn't in pasturization? I pasturize my GM (and every other liquid used) for lotion, but for soap? I know a lot of exclusively GM soapers like myself who have thier own goats and not a one that pasturizes before they use it in soap.

I drink it raw too by the way...and a lot of people do and don't keel over dead. I realize that some cannot tolerate it raw and that in some states it is illegal to sell raw milk to be CONSUMED, but for soaping? Here in WA raw milk is finally able to be sold legally from certified farms. Prior to a year or so ago even if you sent milk home with a bottle kid it had to be colored and labelled not for human consumption. (still do if you are not a certified raw milk farm)

Pasturization would probably not have a negative affect on the soap, but who wants that extra step? Freezing it alone is hassle enough!

I'd be interested in a link to that thread as I can't seem to find it in my search there....

You do what you want but you might also check with you insurance. They seem to from on unpaturized Goats Milk in soap. If you can't find the thread at the dish, then post the question and see how they reply.

As I have been reading from back to front in the Soap Talk over there, I ran into the question TWICE and several agreed that their insurance company wanted to know it as well.

All of the fresh goat milk I use IS pasturized by man I get it from. I even passed up free goats milk in order to have what I needed in my soap. I will not use unpasturized goats milk in my soap.

Fire

Fire,

I'm not meaning to start a war over this but honestly I would really like to know what your reasoning is behind not using unpasturized GM in your soap other than someone else said so. Have you read evidence that says some kind of bad stuff remains after? I really am interested in this other than that an insurance company who likely understands so little about saponfication to truly be an authority says so. If there is some sort of harmful bacteria left over in soap I would like to know about it. And I wonder how they would know? If they came and tried my bars and tried your bars would they know the difference? I've been soaping exclusively Fresh frozen (I mean right after milking the goat fresh!) GM soap for a couple of years now. I have old bars that are still wonderful!

And if they are saying nasties survive after saponification then what about raw honey? What about the unrefined butters and oils I use? What about how I sell unrefined shea all by itself?

All the articles I've read over there have been opinions and I still haven't found one about insurance.

So I'm hoping since you read the threads you could let us know what they said? I'm not interested in stirring the pot over there too since you said you know...:confused:

MY GOAT FRIEND.... that made me giggle... NAHHHHHHHHHH:p

My goat friend just called with more milk for me, too! Another one kidded last night. What I do is measure out the amounts I want and put it in zip lock freezer bags and freeze it. I use it up pretty fast, so I really don't know how long it will last.

I finally found a thread that more than briefly mentioned Raw milk and insurance:

http://www.soapdishforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36470&hl=

So a vet somewhere said something might survive saponfication apparently. Maybe, maybe not. Still not too convincing and I'm tired of searching. That was like the 3rd page of my 4th keyword search!

I agree raw for soap, pasturized for lotion.

I used a squeeze bottle (like for ketchup and mustard) and put it in ice trays (weighed out into .5oz per cube) then I froze the cubes and popped them into Tupperware, cause if you just leave them in the ice trays they get all flaky and weird looking, but the Tupperware keeps them nice and safe. And it makes it easier to use too, since it is pre-weighed.

HTH

Jessie

I used a squeeze bottle (like for ketchup and mustard) and put it in ice trays (weighed out into .5oz per cube) then I froze the cubes and popped them into Tupperware, cause if you just leave them in the ice trays they get all flaky and weird looking, but the Tupperware keeps them nice and safe. And it makes it easier to use too, since it is pre-weighed.

HTH

Jessie

Good idea...thanks.

I see you are new WELCOME!!:wave: