Favorite type of wick in SOY/why?

Of course, the right wick depends on what FO you use, since some wick/FO combos can grow mushrooms, but in general the C cotton series and HTP wicks burn hotter, which you need in a more viscous wax like soy.

In my experience with MC soy and S1, HTP wicks work well and only mushroom on the heavier scents, like Hazelnut.

From my lurking and searching on the site, lots of chandlers here like the LX and HTP, followed by RRD and C series. The zinc core wicks tend to burn cooler, but mushroom less in some applications.

As to my preference, I tend to use HTP and the C series.

:cool2:

PS. geekrunner, where do you get S-1 wax?

When I first started out fooling around with candles, I bought a 50 lb box from a local chandler on eBay. I had no idea what kind of soy it was, I thought that soy was soy (kinda like parts is parts). I found out what it was, and then henryk told me it was discontinued.

However, I have learned that Cargill makes C1 that is supposed to be the same as S1. Too bad I don't have anyone close I can get it from cheap. I figured it out, now I'm trying to figure out MC soy. I'm not quite happy with it yet, but I'm working at it.

I like the LX wicks in soy. They mushroom very little because they curl - but the flame stays straight so you don't have an off-center meltpool.

I still keep a small supply of cottons also. With my soy/paraffin votive blend I just tested a bunch of wicks and I'm finding the plain old cottons are working better in it than the LXs (or RRDs or Zincs). They do happen to be the Peak's cottons though. :) I haven't tested in my CBA but plan to. (Can anyone recommend one for a 2.5" container btw?)

Hey Henry, can you give me an idea what size jar and size LX wick you like in soy? I have 24, 26, and 28. It always help to start out near. I like the eco wicks, but it's either me, or they aren't always consistent. I know I need to slow down some and test one variable at a time. Thanks. Beth

For regular soy or soy/cottonseed blend I use a 26 in 2.5" and a 30 in a 3". I've been using CBA and those containers take one size down (24 and 28 respectively - though I think I could get by with even a 26 in a 3" in jar - it really depends how long you burn it).

I've been using CBA and those containers take one size down (24 and 28 respectively - though I think I could get by with even a 26 in a 3" in jar - it really depends how long you burn it).
That's interesting. I was working with LX-24 yesterday in a 3" tin with CBA2. It seemed a bit overwicked except for the one that had 5% stearic. It did burn very nicely at first but I was going for a 4 hour test and it didn't make it that far without starting to dance and mushroom a bit, so I put it out early. A little disappointing because the next one down doesn't have the NST 2 treatment and I was hoping to stay in that range.