Don't shoot the messenger...

Soy/Veggie waxes are at all time highs...you haven't seen anything yet. It will very soon be much worse. My advice...stock up now. The biggest one-time increase I have ever seen is heading down the pike. All the old soy contracts are expiring...the new ones are close to double in price. If you want or need to stay "soy" based...plan accordingly. This is all I can/will say right now.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wanted to let anyone know, who uses EcoSoya that I just found a wax distributor in my area and I know they have other locations in the midwest area. They have not raised their prices and are very reasonable on EcoSoya Waxes. Right now the CBA is just 1.23lb which is cheaper than I got it for from CandleScience last year! Plus they are having a huge sale this month. Just go to the home page and click on the "March Madness Sale" at the top. Anyway here is a link if anyone is interested....:wink2:

http://www.dpswax.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=SOY

Okay, I'm fairly new to candlemaking and this message board, but I can't help but wonder why this person seems to know that prices WILL double. I mean, I have no inside info, and surely I can assume that prices COULD double. But it's when people start panicking and start racing out to purchase items that will drive cost up beyond the normal market value. A good example is gasoline. Two years ago Gasoline (in my neck of the woods) was $2.75/gal. There was word of the price per barrel going up and everyone panicked and decided to run out and fill up their gas tanks. The price of gasoline did go up, sure, but it went up higher than it normally would have because people panicked and raced out to get it before prices increased, not knowing that their doing this would inevitably increase prices higher and beyond what the normal increase would have been.

Essentially what I'm saying, and at the risk of upsetting people on this board, is that demand is part of the problem - there is "realistic demand" and "unrealistic demand"...and if we all start panicking and begin ordering soy in vast quantities, larger than the market is accustomed to, sure the prices will double.

Just my two cents. I'll get off my soapbox now...

Because he's a supplier. Blue names on here are suppliers.

Ah, well that explains alot - I just learned something new! Thanks for the tip! :smiley2:

Well I won't pretend to know everything. But I still think that if people panic and start running out to purchase larger than normal quantities that prices will increase because of this as well.

For those of you who would use soy wax and like the C-3,Candlewic has it for $49.50 per case as of now. I don't know if they will raise their prices on this once the supply runs out,but with soy prices going the way they are(palm wax will probably do the same in the future as well),they more than likely will go up accordingly. So for now the C-3 can be bought for only....lol $49.50 per case.

Mike

The reason soy prices are going up is not because of the small demand candle makers are making, it's the huge demand ethanol is making. Have you noticed the price of food lately? It is not just the price of gasoline it is the price of our basic food commodities. Corn, soy and sugar is all used to make ethanol.

Sorry for the bad news.

Banirs

and read the markets......soybeans were $15 a bushel last week, with wheat being $20 a bushel. My dad and MIL are estatic over these prices!! That is close to a 5X increase over previous soybean per bushel price. You don't think that is going to come right down the pike? Stock up before the new contracts comeout because I think you are going to see it go up ALOT higher then .10 a pound in wax. Pretty soon when the wax is melted we will be able to call it liquid gold! LOL

How depressing :cry2:. Hope our clients understand what seems to be our inevitable price hike. - That is for those of us who can hang in there.

Kathy

You are right - It is depressing :cry2:

Especially for those who are new to soy candlemaking - not to mention all the small business owners.

with oil @ $100+ per barrel..yes i expect paraffin to keep going up as well. I would be looking at regular increases for at least the next 6 months. Even if it goes down some...the lag time will prevent the wax price from going lower anytime soon.

Palm is hard to say. It really depends on the demand for the product overseas. Since its not made here...and the value of our dollar is low...the product is worth more in other places - Europe for example. The chinese paraffin really slowed down last year here in the US, because they could sell the same wax for more money in Europe. But i would guess that palm wax will not go up in price as fast or often as soy. Might be a good short term solution.

From what I'm seeing, China has had a bad winter with many of their crops being destroyed. So, we're going to suffer because China needs more soy. Isn't that special??? :angry2:

Really sad that because we ship 50% of our crop to another country it creates a shortage here which inflates prices on top of the additional shipping that we are absorbing. Can't wait to see what will happen after the election.

Yeah. I know. Totally pi**es me off. We need to make sure they're OK there so we raise the prices here? Why not charge them double and give people here a break? No that would be too easy. China's dollar closely matches ours right now. Incredible right? So we have to get a country to pay close to what we pay to produce, so China is actually desireable right now, more than ever for trade with the dollar here being so low. Just makes me want to scream. I don't care who gets in this election. They better fix this stuff. This is just insane.

Even more incredible is they're a communist country. It just amazes me. Thank you Nixon for fixing that thing with China. :(