Accu Veggie Organic Container Candle Wax

I wanted to ask if anyone has experience with the Accu Veggie Organic Container Candle Wax from Swans. I am not trying to make "organic candle" but I think I would feel better knowing the crop that the wax is made from was grown without pesticide or genetic modification. I think the wax is certified by USDA. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks so much for the reply. I would love to hear about your experience. I am planning to order a sample myself. The shipping charges from Swans are so high to my area I really need to make sure this wax is going to work well before I think of placing an order. I would love to hear your experiences and I will post mine if I get the sample too.:)

I am in the process of testing out this wax. So far it's ok. Not sure how the scent throw is just yet as I am burning 6 candles at once. It smells great with all those candles burning, but I don't know how it will smell with only 1 candle burning. I've noticed this wax really burns down before it starts to burn out. At times it looks like it's tunneling, but then it eventually starts to move out. Actually, I just looked at my notes and that was without scent. Once I added fragrance to it, it seemed to burn better. Not sure if I will use it yet. Need to keep testing before I decide.

• 4 months later...

Hi Patka,

I'm sorry about not posting again sooner. :o Time got away from me with other projects, but I FINALLY tried out the Organic Veggie Wax from Swan's.

So far, I like it alot. The cold and hot throw are fabulous. It has a very smooth consistency with very little cracking. And you can hot pour this wax, no need to wait for it to cool down.

I am having some issues wicking it, though. It's incredibly soft and tunnels like the dickens! This seems to be common with some of the Calsoy/Accublend waxes that were created by the same formulator.

I'm not done wick testing yet, but I liked the hot throw from the CSN wicks best. However, I'm still trying to find the just right size for those. CD wicks also seem to work.

HTH,

Bo

• 2 weeks later...

Does the Accu Veggie wax stay really soft after it sets up?

I was at our street fair last night (it's every tuesday) and there was a soy candle vendor and the samples that were set out had big dents where people stuck their fingers in or scooped some out. They were not massage candles and they were never lit.

I've never really seen a soy wax that soft...softer than straight 415. The CT was amazing too, almost too strong for my taste. Next time, I'm going to buy one to see how it burns.

I am waiting for some details back from Accublend in relation to this wax before I try it. Will let you know. I have been testing RRD wicks in 415 (just because i thought i'd try something different) and they are doing extremely well, other than the shrooms, it looks like tunnelling is occuring but catch up is good. Give them a go in the accublend. I use EO and no dye.

I am waiting for some details back from Accublend in relation to this wax before I try it. Will let you know. I have been testing RRD wicks in 415 (just because i thought i'd try something different) and they are doing extremely well, other than the shrooms, it looks like tunnelling is occuring but catch up is good. Give them a go in the accublend. I use EO and no dye.

If you end up trying it, please let us know what you think. I was thinking for my EO line it would be good, and I don't dye any soy so your thoughts would be appreciated!

• 1 year later...

Hi all, still on my search for a nice soy wax. Seems like I am never satisfied, anyway went to the Swans Candle site and found this accu-soy container wax. Did a search on it, guess where I ended up? HERE:yay:So these are old posts on this wax,:rolleyes2 anything new?

Linda

A lot has been written on the subject of all-natural, 100% pure organic claims... Some 95% of all soybeans grown in the US are from genetically-modified stock, so none of their products could be certified as organic. Soybean oil is solvent-extracted from the soybeans with hexane, then refined (to remove the rancid smell) and then hydrogenated. Hydrogenation is accomplished by heating the oil, then passing hydrogen bubbles through it. Some of the fatty acids in the oil acquire the hydrogen which makes the oil more dense. Partially hydrogenated oil would have a consistency of butter or shortening. Fully hydrogenated oil becomes a solid fat. If the soybeans come from non-GMO stock, are grown by organic methods and the oil-extraction process is done with an organically approved method (steam distillation, expeller pressing, etc.) then arguably, it could be called "organic." :)

A lot has been written on the subject of all-natural, 100% pure organic claims... Some 95% of all soybeans grown in the US are from genetically-modified stock, so none of their products could be certified as organic. Soybean oil is solvent-extracted from the soybeans with hexane, then refined (to remove the rancid smell) and then hydrogenated. Hydrogenation is accomplished by heating the oil, then passing hydrogen bubbles through it. Some of the fatty acids in the oil acquire the hydrogen which makes the oil more dense. Partially hydrogenated oil would have a consistency of butter or shortening. Fully hydrogenated oil becomes a solid fat. If the soybeans come from non-GMO stock, are grown by organic methods and the oil-extraction process is done with an organically approved method (steam distillation, expeller pressing, etc.) then arguably, it could be called "organic." :)

Very interesting! Thanks for the clarity :) I suspect that truly "organic" soy wax is hard to come by (and expensive - ?), if so much is GMO.

FYI, to be able to call something organic, means that the manufactorer paid the extra costs and fees in order to get special licensing and permission to call it "organic" in order to benefit from the marketing of it. This does not mean that every other wax or product out there, is not organic or has definatley used pesticides while growing.

I have used the ACCU 10 with great results. As well as Calwax CB3.

Edited by Carriegsxr6

FYI, to be able to call something organic, means that the manufactorer paid the extra costs and fees in order to get special licensing and permission to call it "organic" in order to benefit from the marketing of it. This does not mean that every other wax or product out there, is not organic or has definatley used pesticides while growing.

Not exactly, Carrie. People who go to the trouble and expense to manufacture TRULY organic products work hard to obtain certification and differentiate their products from those marketed by "snake oil" hucksters who simply want to profiteer from the "green wave" in consumer products. People who receive certification have EARNED the right to market their products as such.

While failure to pay the fees, etc. required by the USDA to use the "Certified Organic" labeling does not necessarily mean that the product ISN'T "organic," it DOES mean that one cannot verify that their products meet the guidelines. If one cannot afford to comply with the USDA's "Certified Organic" program, one has no right to use the term "organic" or "certified organic" in their marketing because of how much utter fraud there is out there about this issue. If ya can't meet the guidelines, DON'T use the terms in marketing the products! It's as simple as that.

"Certified Organic" and "Organic" do not only mean pesticide-free, they mean a lot of other things, too, like using acceptable chemicals, GM status, production & growing methods to name a few...

"Greenwashing" (what a great term!) was discussed recently in another thread and a link posted to the Federal Trade Commission's website article, "Complying With the Environmental Marketing Guides". People wishing to use "green" marketing terms are well-advised to review the guidelines, laws, etc. to ensure they are in compliance with fair marketing practices and truth in advertising. It isn't a joke and people who use environmental marketing terms should be sure they understand the significance and definitions of those terms. BTW, the standards that must be met for USDA approval are rather lax by worldwide standards and need to be strengthened rather than circumvented!

The USDA has several good PDF documents online that explain its Certified Organic program and what the labeling means. "Organic Labeling and Marketing Information" is one such publication and well worth the read.

The standards which must be met to obtain permission to use the USDA "Certified Organic" logo in marketing can be found here.

The goal is to TRUTHFULLY inform customers about products and not try to fool or mislead them into thinking they are buying something that, in reality, they are not.

Edited by Stella1952