Ecosoya CB-135...clarity needed!

Okay, at the risk of sounding stupid, what is the ultimate goal with this wax?

- Is it to have it adhere to the glass container perfectly?

OR

- Is it to have it shrink entirely away from the glass?

I ask because I'm clearly confused by this. I've been testing CB-135 for a while now and I can pour two 8 oz jars at the same time and get completely different results. One jar, great glass adhesion whereas the second has shrinkage, and/or wet spots.

Looking forward to know what people think...

Thanks,

Faith

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the response!

I've already been to their site and done all the reading. I haven't asked them a question though...I'll do that :)

Do you use CB-135? I'm hoping to get some feedback from other users on what their experience has been.

Thanks!

Okay, at the risk of sounding stupid, what is the ultimate goal with this wax?

- Is it to have it adhere to the glass container perfectly?

OR

- Is it to have it shrink entirely away from the glass?

I ask because I'm clearly confused by this. I've been testing CB-135 for a while now and I can pour two 8 oz jars at the same time and get completely different results. One jar, great glass adhesion whereas the second has shrinkage, and/or wet spots.

Looking forward to know what people think...

Thanks,

Faith

Faith - we use the EcoSoya 135 CB and tend to get some pulling away from the glass regardless of the jar being warm or not. The one thing I can't get my candles to do is have any throw. Let me know if you are having that problem also!

I use it and get great glass adhesion with great hot and cold throw.

Well then, any chance you'd be willing to share your secrets here? :D

I've tried all sorts of methods. But, what's confusing me is that for the same batch, same jar, same temp, same everything, I get different results.

Here are some questions I have.

1.) What is the room temp when you're making candles?

2.) What is your pour temp?

3.) Do you heat your containers?

4.) Do you wash your containers?

5.) What % of FO are you using pp?

6.) What is the temp of the room where you let your candels set up?

Am eager to learn your secrets!

Babean...

I use CB135 as well and sometimes get great adhesion and sometimes not, even within the same batch. You can do a search on wet spots and find all sorts of threads on it. The reality of the situation is that it is just the nature of the wax, and there's no real way to stop it, regardless of any instructions from the manufacturer or anyone else. I hate it too, but it just happens that way.

As for throw, I find that most oils throw quite well in CB135, but again, hot throw is a very subjective thing.

I can fill up a small room, but not a large room and certainly not a house. Some of my best fragrance oils I can smell down the hall a bit. It really is a matter of opinion and preference.

Good luck!

I've used CB135 since starting back. I do get some wet spots, never had shrinkage. I think they bother me more that anyone. I get great h/c throw w/CD wicks. I've used Eco wicks and the throw is really good, but most of the time w/the mushrooming, they're torches if I want a decent MP.

I have heard that 135 will have a better throw in larger containers. I notice that on some scents and will probably try EzSoy for my smaller jars that won't throw well w/the CB135. But over all I really like the CB135.

Well, I guess I didn't answer your question, but w/soy there will always be those wonderful little character flaws we love & hate.

Hope you can get it figured out. Keep us posted

Kathy

...and warm/cool environments. The glass expands & contracts at a different rate from the wax...:wink2:

I didn't really think about the fact that glass expands and contracts, but that makes sense. This whole time I thought only the wax would expand and contract.

I'm trying to not get frustrated but it's been difficult not to when I keep getting different results in the same batch.

As an FYI to all those who've posted on this thread, I decided to go back to the basics and only use a wick and the CB-135 and follow NGI's instructions on their website. The wax still isn't performing normally. I'm going to try going up and down in pour temp to see if that makes a difference.

I've used CB135 since starting back. I do get some wet spots, never had shrinkage. I think they bother me more that anyone. I get great h/c throw w/CD wicks. I've used Eco wicks and the throw is really good, but most of the time w/the mushrooming, they're torches if I want a decent MP.

Kathy

Kathy, am curious to know which CD wicks you've been using and for which containers. I've been using LX wicks based on CS.com's recommendation in the wicking guide. I'm getting mediocre HT and the wicks are mushrooming like crazy - hence I'm also getting torches after over 2 hours of burn time. They aren't creating a full melt pool for me either!

Would love to learn more...thanks.

Babean,

I primarily use only 8oz tumblers and 16oz apothecary jars. For the 8oz, I use a CD 10 for most of my fo's. I do use a 12 for my vanilla's, cinnamon's and other heavier fo's. For the apoth's, I double wick with 2 10's or 12's for heavier scents. No mushrooming, no torches and great throw.:yay:I must say though, that I don't use dyes, so I think that makes a difference. I think that those who use dyes actually start out w/12's and wick as high as 16 or 18. HTH

Edit - I just saw a post on the Scents section and RS said she is getting hang up with the 12 on her vanilla. I've been using the same wicks for a couple of years and don't get any kind of hang up- must be the good ol' West Texas air. So you may want to start w/12's and 14's

Kathy

(Also, note that I made an error on that post. I meant to say that I get wet spots, but not frosting)

I love the cb 135. awesome throw (depending on the FO of course) I use LX wicks. I do get the wet spots and pulling away from the jars on occasion but I am learning to deal with it since I have no frosting. It seems that if I have pefect addhesions then ia have frosting lol no "perfect" candle as of yet

Here's the Heinz website, where Stabilo (formerly CD) and Stabilo KST (formerly CDN) are manufactured.

http://www.heinzverhaegh.com/

The following companies both have great info on many kinds of wicks, but sell in large quantities.

http://www.wickit.net/index.html

http://www.wicksunlimited.com/candle_wicks.php

I get mine from JBN, but other suppliers have them also. They are not as easy to find as are CDs. HTH:)