Ecosoya CB-135...clarity needed!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the Heinz website, where Stabilo (formerly CD) and Stabilo KST (formerly CDN) are manufactured.

http://www.heinzverhaegh.com/

The following companies both have great info on many kinds of wicks, but sell in large quantities.

http://www.wickit.net/index.html

http://www.wicksunlimited.com/candle_wicks.php

I get mine from JBN, but other suppliers have them also. They are not as easy to find as are CDs. HTH:)

Thanks, Stella! As always, a wealth of information!:D

• 1 month later...

We are still new to this, but I use the HTP's and seem to have great results.

Also I noticed that with this wax, ( CB135 ) that red dyes, especially liquid caused my wax to act funny, Weird crystals sometimes, and almost always had some milky oily residue type of stuff in it when it dried.

So I am looking to switch to possibly a new type of dye from a new vendor I use PEAKS supplies everything great in this wax so far except the red DYE.

All other dyes come out SMOOTH and Creamy.

I have also found that some BEESWAX and Cocunut oil make it extra smooth with great adhesion.

Just My opinion.

Have you, or anyone else, tried USA with CB-135? Just curious.

I have not.

my only concern is the scent throw.

I bought the CBA and It kinda sucked compared to the 135.

I would hate to loose that.

It just seems like you have to accept something.

Wet spots,

Texture,

Throw,

or something else.

Nothing just comes out perfect.....Oh well.

I use CB 135. I add CO and USA to the wax before I add color. I was having trouble with purples, blues and reds frosting. So far no frosting and nice creamy tops on all colors with the addition of these two additives. :yay:

Ohhh....go ahead - rub it in! J/K! I've been testing CB-135 and C3...and now CB135 again. I still haven't found my "happy place" with either wax (sigh) but I'm still plugging along trying every combo and process.

When you add CO and USA, how much are you adding of each PP and what is your pour temp? I'm using 1 TBSP of USA PP but my recent experience has been spongey tops. :( I'm contemplating backing off on the USA and trying the CO next.

I use CB 135. I add CO and USA to the wax before I add color. I was having trouble with purples, blues and reds frosting. So far no frosting and nice creamy tops on all colors with the addition of these two additives. :yay:

I have the same thing happen.

Mostly with the red dye, if I add it to make purple.

With blue it is not nearly as bad for me.

I also tried USA a just regular UA, to see if that made any difference, it helped a little.

I am still waiting on some chips to come in. To try those.

I was using the liquids and I am trying the chips now instead.

I use 11/2tesp ea of USA and CO pp and pour b/t 100*-110*

Thanks! I'm going to back down on the amounts I'm using of each and see what happens. I too am pouring between those temps. How high are you bringing the wax temp before backing it down? Also, have you ever tried tempering this wax? I've noticed an improvement in frosting when I do this.

Thanks! I'm going to back down on the amounts I'm using of each and see what happens. I too am pouring between those temps. How high are you bringing the wax temp before backing it down? Also, have you ever tried tempering this wax? I've noticed an improvement in frosting when I do this.

What do you mean "tempering" the wax.

Please let me know.

I use a Presto Melting Pot, so I melt my wax and let it cool to the hard stage. Then the next day or two I reheat my wax to about 170(tempering), then add USA and CO.

Tempering could have help with my frosting but I started using USA about the same time. So it's hard to say. I've had such good luck with tempering, USA and CO don't want to rock the boat.

Another thing that could have helped is the temp is getting warmer outside. I did notice in the winter after the candles had set a few days the frost appeared. I kept the house @ 70-72. So who's to say. :confused: Nature of the beast, I guess. Good luck.... I hope this helps. I'm not an expert by any means. I read and test. This is a great forum full of info.

What do you mean "tempering" the wax.

Please let me know.

A quick search found these links to previous discussions:

Here's a thread on tempering...

http://www.candletech.com/forums/sho...ghlight=temper

And Top posted the link there to an older thread where Jason from GB shared some tips on temperatures, etc....

http://www.candletech.com/forums/sho...32post197532

Good luck & let us know how it goes. :D

THANKS EVERYONE

Stella helped educate me on "tempering" too! I've noticed a definite improvement in both waxes (CB135 & C3) when I temper. I noticed an improvement in smoother tops and less frosting. Can't say my wet spots are getting any better, but I'll take what I can get! :grin2:

Try RRD's....they're what we use for our container candles with CBA.

I've tried the RRD's also. I've double wicked with RRD 34 in my 3-3.5" apoth jars and it seems to be too much wick. What size RRD wick and what size container are you using?

I recently switched from CDs to CDNs. With the change, I'm testing CDN12s and CDN14s for my 12 oz Status Jars. I've noticed a significant difference from the CD to the CDN wicks. Less mushrooming and from what I can tell, a cleaner and more even burn. I highly recommend that if you're not sure which wick to use, that you try a sample pack of CDNs from JBN.

Babean 28, where do you purchase the CDN wicks? I"m in Texas and would like to find a supplier in my state but am willing to buy from other suppliers. I've found the CD wick but not the CDN.

I use JBN - Just By Nature - www.justbynature.com. They are located in Mesquite Texas - so you're in luck! Your best bet is to purchase the sampler pack. I think it's around $11.00 for 5 of each wick.

I took this directly from the JBN site - it should help you to understand the difference in CDNs v. CDs.

"The CDN wick is considered the highest premium wick by seasoned candle makers. It is a coreless, non-directional, flat braided wick with a special paper filament woven around it. This configuration is engineered to promote maximum and consistent capillary action while insuring a wick trimming flame posture. The CDN series is used in many different applications and is especially compatible with the harder-to-melt viscous waxes of both soy, vegetable and paraffin base. The CDN series of wick is identical to the CD series except that it has been treated with a special patent-pending process to resist the corrosive action of the acidic nature of natural-based candle waxes."