Some New Projects, Some leftovers

Stella1952

Here's a few things we've been making lately. I keep forgetting to take pictures...:rolleyes2 The first is a special order 16 point star chunk pillar (this is a big 'un!) made from palm wax. I had made one from scraps for myself and someone saw it... this one's a lot prettier than mine was! Sorry - I forgot to snap the pic until it was wrapped... scented ocean. It will leave a nice shell to light with a tealight after the center is burned out.

16pointstarpalm1.jpg

This is a leftover project made from NatureWax C3. It has 6 layers - almond, lemon lavender, ummmm... and a bunch of other scents I would have to go look up! :o Smells great!

Layeredsoy_hex3.jpg

This is a layered palm ball candle scented grapefruit and green tomato leaf, a new fragrance for us. Can hardly wait to test burn this one!

layeredpalmball3.jpg

Last, but not least, this is a fluted palm pillar, scented cedar and saffron. OMG the fragrance is wonderful, but I didn't take into account the flutes when I wicked it and it blew out (perhaps also because I left it burning for 16 hours in the hurricane :whistle:). Oh well, gathered up the pieces to melt down again and wick down one... :) Will post the next incarnation...:laugh2:

flutedpalmpillar1.jpg

Thanks for lookin! :)

Wow...THANKS, y'all! :) The Chunky One was a little serendipity... Normally, I cast candles from this mold with a wick pin set in the in the center of the bottom (which makes a nice indentation in the center of the top), but this time I did not like how the top came out, so I leveled it which exposed the chunks to the surface. It looked so cool I may never do the tops any other way again! :yay:

Sure wish I could light this one up... half the dang fun is watching how they glow from inside...:undecided

Is there an additive you would typically use to get rid of the jump lines? I've had those (I think that's what they're called) with IGI 1343. Drives me nuts. I don't use IGI 1343 by itself anymore, but seems like there is something you can add to prevent those lines.

The layered candle looks like what I call my Sunshine Surprise candles. The ones with leftover dribbles of wax that I'm too cheap (frugal) to toss out, lol.

I am not aware of any additive like that for palm wax, Sliver. To prevent jump lines when pouring layers with palm wax, one has to pour very hot. Hot = maximum crystallization patterns. When poured cool, the wax loses its big crystal formations, becomes almost transparent (like the ball above) and forms "jump" lines like crazy. This particular mold is made from polycarbonate and it doesn't like temps of 190°-200°F very much, especially when cooling very slowly for max crystals. So we generally pour this mold at cooler temps to extend its life. If we had used our metal ball mold, we could have poured much hotter and we'd have had those big ol' crystals and no jump lines.

Another personal note about "jump lines" concerns the nasty ol' seam line. When I pour ball molds they always have a seam line that is very difficult to disguise, especially with palm wax which tends to change appearance from the surrounding wax when any finishing method is applied to the seam line. In short, seam lines look like caca and bug the snot outta me. By deliberately pouring cool to create jump lines, the seam line disappears into the jump lines. This makes me very happy.:)

I LOVE "leftover" candles like your Sunshine Surprises! When we sell candles, often we are doing repetitive work. My goal is for every one of my "production" candles to look as nice as the next one. That's a lofty goal, and certainly challenging in and of itself, but it's kinda boring, too. :rolleyes2 Having the wonderful scraps around allows me to have a little fun along the way with special projects. :bliss:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chassisbot
I actually love the look of jump lines and that's great you found a way to hide the seam! :)

The seams are very visible to me, those jump lines look awful. What a waste of palm wax. Wheres the crystalline pattern gone, Somebody poured the palm way too cool did'nt they!!!!

Try pouring at 85 Deg C next time:D

P.S I'm the true master of palm, not you!!!

The seams are very visible to me, those jump lines look awful. What a waste of palm wax. Wheres the crystalline pattern gone, Somebody poured the palm way too cool did'nt they!!!!

Try pouring at 85 Deg C next time:D

P.S I'm the true master of palm, not you!!!

I pour palm at many different temps to get many different effects, but as the "master of palm," I guess you'd know that.:rolleyes2

Thanks for your input... it was a waste of pixels.:wink2: