Life of a bar of soap

crazycacti

So had a friend approach me and tell me she is thinking about trying out about 20 different fragrances for soap. Wants for christmas. Wanted to know how long they last and when should order if wants for christmas.

I would think would last indefinitely if soap?????????????/

but thought i would ask all of you smarties!!

How long would a bar of CP last?

How about a bar of MP??

:)

TIA

It all depends on your recipe. If you are asking how long it should last in the shower, if its a hard enough bar (say 50% hard oils 50% soft oils) then i would say it should last 3 weeks in the shower. If its more on the soft side, then maybe 2 weeks. This also is the same for how long the bar should last on the shelf, if it has more hard oils and is properly stored, it shouldnt get DOS.

It also depend how many people are using it...

but I think you were asking about shelf life. It's true they should keep till Christmas, but will they shrink and the wrapping look yucky? and do you know for sure none of your fragrances will fade in 9 months?

I had a good friend purchase $700 in soap last Christmas. She began making "layaway" payments in March, but I didn't give her her soap until The first week of December for just this reason...and she was happy not to have to store them too!

She is still on the layaway plan since my soap is all she uses. It's nice for her because she just has me charge it to her account when she gets things.

Bethany, I think you are right. I misread the question. Well if it's shelf life, it would depend on what oils are used as some are more prone to rancidity than others. I have bars from 2 years ago which are still fine, but others developed DOS after a while. So, it would be best if you could set aside a bar or two from each recipe and let them sit around for a year or more to monitor how they do. Because if you're selling, you never know how long the customer is going to let the soap sit around before using it, and if they come back later to say there's something wrong with it, at least you wouldn't be taken by surprise if you've been testing this out for yourself.

Thanks for all the replies. Should have been more specific-was referring to how long would last on shelf. she is one of those people who plans WAY ahead and so wanted to know if could get now or how long should wait until she gets them!!

Maybe will suggest she can make her list and think about it and that maybe I would start making in Oct or Nov and give to her beginning Dec! Unless she needs any sooner!

I give her some of most of my batches cause she is a sweet pea!!

Nice to see getting some business back!

Oct or Nov sounds good to me.

If I were buying soap for resale I'd want it in my hands not much later than when it's ready to sell. I wouldn't know enough to predict how long somebody's soap would last -- it's dependent on so many things. The bottom line is it's definitely not forever, so as a retailer I'd want to have as much time as possible to sell it and for the customer to hold onto it before they decide to use it.

As the soap maker, I'd definitely give consideration to formulating it for good shelf life and maybe protecting it with an antioxidant system for insurance. I wouldn't feel good if a wholesale customer planned to sit on it for months before offering it for sale. For a certain amount of time it may get better as it cures out. Beyond that point it might stay good for a long time, but nothing is getting any better about it. Any change is probably for the worse.

If you are talking about shelf live, I have many batches I am still working on using up that are about 1 1/2 years old. They are fine. In fact, they have hardened a lot so now they last longer in the shower. I don't use wrapping on them, I don't know if that makes a difference.