Candle & Soap Conferences?

TartAddict

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I have read, the issue with it is that there was a committee, of which that person once belonged. She has an internet hosting company, so she hosted the site for the gathering, thus she registered the domain (and she was paid for hosting the domain). When the committee and her had a disagreement, they split. She went and trademarked the name and sent the committee a cease and desist letter. It was a non-profit when the original committee was doing it, but now she has sent a C&D preventing anyone from doing a gathering in AZ as it hurts her business--so it isn't non-profit.

I am having nothing to do with it because it was posted by someone else on another site that the gathering was her idea and taken from her, but then later the same person admitted they had it wrong (wrong/lied--who knows) that she didn't come up with the idea.

In my opinion and from what I have read on other sites, she was mad because she wasn't on the committee so she took the name for herself--which was no different than stealing. I cannot support questionable behavior and doing something out of anger that has negatively impacted so many people, and has ruined what was once a good, free-spirited, fun occasion.

In the meantime, the committee has stepped down, they were all volunteering to do this and would you volunteer if someone was threatening you with a lawsuit?

The way i see it is like when a business puts up the sign "under new management" We don't know what actually happened even that person you spoke to had it wrong. I have actually spoken to ROse but i did not ask her becuase it is non of my business. I did well at the last one and i had fun. I am for promoting my business and getting my name out there. I just stay out of the political stuff, cuz we will never know what truly happened. :(

The way i see it is like when a business puts up the sign "under new management" We don't know what actually happened even that person you spoke to had it wrong. I have actually spoken to ROse but i did not ask her becuase it is non of my business. I did well at the last one and i had fun. I am for promoting my business and getting my name out there. I just stay out of the political stuff, cuz we will never know what truly happened. :(

And that you are doing a good job doing. :grin2:

I probably go to the one in AZ. Need to check my free miles, etc now.

My cousin lives in Glendale....so I can kick it with him for the weekend. Now to remember to request the weekend off...lol

Actually it was the committee, the C&D letter and one of Rose's friends posting. When someone takes a business "under new management" right under the nose of someone else deceptively, it is other peoples' business. That was a community effort, not one persons, and now it has been taken away, the original intent is lost.

To me supporting honesty is important. I won't build my business being associated with underhanded business tactics. If you like to associate you name with that, go for it.

If you are entrusted to run a website and get paid for it, do you think that is appropriate to trademark the name and take it away from the people who paid you to host it? Rose said she would explain it and yet she hasn't. I would really like to hear her side because so far all I have heard is one of her friends who posted a ton of stuff, then it turns out it was incorrect information.

Thank you, Di. I knew the dynamics, but wasn't sure I should get into it. And this is why I won't go to the AZGathering. I don't agree at all with what went down. Granted, we may not know all the details. BUT, I've seen the C&D and read enough of the BS to know that it was underhanded. I won't support that.

Everyone is entitled to make their own decision, but for me, the decision is clear. Promoting your business is very important. But do you want to associate your business with a dishonest venture? Not me. It's just not how I roll.

Seriously...ya'll are getting tooo personal about a conference......What is the purpose of the conference to go and learn, get new ideas, network, etc....or to wonder about who took what name? Who registered what?

Stuff like that happens in business all the day long. Is it right? no...but shyt happens.

As long as the conference is good and informative that is all that should matter.

If your boss is underhanded by another employee and replaced by that employee...are you not going to go to work? It's life.

Seriously...ya'll are getting tooo personal about a conference......What is the purpose of the conference to go and learn, get new ideas, network, etc....or to wonder about who took what name? Who registered what?

Stuff like that happens in business all the day long. Is it right? no...but shyt happens.

As long as the conference is good and informative that is all that should matter.

If your boss is underhanded by another employee and replaced by that employee...are you not going to go to work? It's life.

Exactly...it is very much a part of the business world, unfortunate, but it is.

I am going to host an in-formal one here in Louisville, KY. I am hoping to get some people to come so we can brainstorm and turn it into a big conference for everyone around us.

It will be on Saturday , June 14th and start at noon. We will be barbecuing because I am hosting it at my house and have goody bags as well.

Also, I will demo my lip scrub and lotion bar recipes :)

With it being informal there will be no official website until I get more ideas on how to make this a bigger one for 2009. Then all that will be worked out as well.

So, if you want to come out and have some fun, you are more than welcome! I think I posted $30 but that is waaay too much lol! I would only charge $10 which would help cover the food!

Just pm me if you want to come out and have some fun and help plan and create a bigger one for 2009! I do know that I would like to call us the Midwestern Bubbles and Flames :), so others won't just think it is only for Kentucky people!

Angi

Would I work for someone underhanded, no I wouldn't. Having morals and standing up for them is not a hard thing for me to do. People do stuff like this because people turn the other way and turn a blind eye. If someone stole money and was throwing all over the place, I wouldn't be grabbing it either. It is sad that this is how people feel today.

I have met some of the ladies on the committee. I choose to stand by them, and I cannot believe that someone would chastise anyone for standing up for their morals.

Sorry, didn't mean to cause controversy. I think everyone has differing opinions on how things should be done. That being said, I have to agree with Di. I know the business world is brutal at times, but that doesn't make it right.

BUT, I wouldn't register anyway. They don't have a lick of detail about who's doing what, or what's going on. They raised the prices. They don't have any exhibitors or demonstrators listed. Why would I register? Am I interested in being a vendor at a "CANDLE" conference. No. Why would other chandlers want to buy my candles? Weird. I guess maybe the soaper's might be interested, but it just doesn't seem worth the effort. Last year, at registration time, they already had a list of sponsors, what the workshops were going to be, who would be exhibitors, etc. IMO, which is just that, an opinion (and excuse the lame pun), this years conference won't hold a candle to the past 9 conferences.

Okay, I'm done.

I am not the one chastising.

It doesn't matter who they are, if they have on raggedy underwear, if their teeth are fake, if their hair isn't really blond, etc - that has no bearing on if the conference can be successful or a bomb.

If I can get something out of the conference then it is money well spent.

Now if I go and it aint crap, then I can complain....but how can someone complain about something that hasn't even occurred?

She has an internet hosting company, so she hosted the site for the gathering, thus she registered the domain (and she was paid for hosting the domain). When the committee and her had a disagreement, they split. She went and trademarked the name and sent the committee a cease and desist letter. It was a non-profit when the original committee was doing it, but now she has sent a C&D preventing anyone from doing a gathering in AZ as it hurts her business--so it isn't non-profit.

I am having nothing to do with it because it was posted by someone else on another site that the gathering was her idea and taken from her, but then later the same person admitted they had it wrong (wrong/lied--who knows) that she didn't come up with the idea.

In my opinion and from what I have read on other sites, she was mad because she wasn't on the committee so she took the name for herself--which was no different than stealing. I cannot support questionable behavior and doing something out of anger that has negatively impacted so many people, and has ruined what was once a good, free-spirited, fun occasion.

IRONY defined

Wow, definition of no life--following me around on EVERY thread I post to. I impressed that you just can't get me out of your mind and pretty disgusted that you are so obsessed with me. Stalking is actually a mental illness. You should get help.

I believed this is addressed to me - so let me address it back...

Please read my posts in this thread...Originally I asked a general question about the AZ conference...Got a link to the site....then I posted something in regards to the chicago conference - something about the link not working. then I responded to Just Rights questions.

Then all this crap got posted C&D letters and mess. who cares....like I said it doesn't matter as long as the conference is good.

Now if me trying to find a conference to attend this year is stalking you....then you are the one with the mental illness.

ETA - if you think I am stalking you...then don't sign up for the AZ or chicago conference because I am thinking about attending one or both. So this is heads up.

The original Chicago conference last year got cancelled.

Then Kitty from Kangaroo Blue did a FANTASTIC job of organizing and throwing a kick-butt new conference all in a unbelievable amount of time- only 2 months! I was a volunteer last year and Kitty was a pleasure to work with. We had one of the best goodie bags I've gotten at a conference, too!

http://ilsoapers.blogspot.com/

And good news- from the site it looks like there IS going to be a conference again this year! :yay: And it does say it's a non-profit conference.

So my vote is to come to Chicago! :P

Need a date on that Bravo, unless I missed it on that read. Chicago would be closer for me to go to as well, but I'm tossing it up between there and one of two Texas conferences too.

Not going to take vacation to deal with drama, so Arizona will be out. Now would I want to do Lufkin or Austin or Chicago?

I saw where there was one in Tenn., even Penn., even NY, but still would like to get some dates to see which I can do.

Need a date on that Bravo, unless I missed it on that read. Chicago would be closer for me to go to as well, but I'm tossing it up between there and one of two Texas conferences too.

Not going to take vacation to deal with drama, so Arizona will be out. Now would I want to do Lufkin or Austin or Chicago?

I saw where there was one in Tenn., even Penn., even NY, but still would like to get some dates to see which I can do.

Ok Scented...I have been to the Chicago and TX conference with you...come to the PA one or the NY Soapmakers gathering.

You need to get back to NY...right?...lol

I was not impressed at all with the Chicago Conference I attended a few yrs back...was VERY disorganized.