Flame very high

Hi Everyone :)

I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction with this one.

I just made my very first batch of paraffin candles in the Strawberry scent. I gave a few to some friends to try out before I start selling them in my store. I used a pound of wax, 1 oz. fragrance, and one colour chip. Apparently, the flame on them are very high, even when blown out and the wick trimmed between burning.

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong. Dont want to make anymore till I find out where I went wrong.

Thanks for any help!

Oh Wow...Where to start :shocked2:

The Short Version

Your wick is to big and/or the wrong type of wick for the wax you are using.

The Long Short Version

Each time you combine wax/FO/dye/additives you are creating a unique fuel to keep your flame going. Each "new fuel" has to be tested to see which wick works best. Some wicks burn hotter than others so you need to find the correct wick to make sure no one burns their house down.

Do you know what type of wax you are using?

Sounds like the wick is too big. Actually, if you're testing them, you need to know exactly what you're using. You may want to get your wick somewhere that let's you know. And, I'd get a few different kinds of wicks -- zinc, squares, flats etc. and test them out in your applications to find what you like, what meets your standard.

Don't take it wrong, but apparently you aren't doing your own tests or you just didn't get the same result as all these people who tested for you did. Suggestion -- take the time to test yourself too. You really need to know your product and what's in it.

Sounds like the wick is too big. Actually, if you're testing them, you need to know exactly what you're using. You may want to get your wick somewhere that let's you know. And, I'd get a few different kinds of wicks -- zinc, squares, flats etc. and test them out in your applications to find what you like, what meets your standard.

Don't take it wrong, but apparently you aren't doing your own tests or you just didn't get the same result as all these people who tested for you did. Suggestion -- take the time to test yourself too. You really need to know your product and what's in it.

thanks!

The thing is I did test them....

And they burned fine for me thats the thing. So I am thinking that maybe they are using them in a drafty area or something.

And they burned fine for me thats the thing. So I am thinking that maybe they are using them in a drafty area or something.

How much testing did you do?

What kind of candles are these? As in containers or pillars? Which wax did you use? There are many different kinds of paraffin. You really need to know exactly what kind of wick you're using.... 2 1/2" is the length that it's cut to, not the size of the wicking.

Specific information is needed before anyone can make suggestions for improving them.

Honestly, you need to do a lot more research and testing before giving them to others... JMO

Maybe the company you ordered from could give you the name and type of wick information that would help us to know what might be the problem. Just a suggestion here but my insurance agent told me to make sure I kept very accurate notes just incase there was ever a problem. One of the things they will certainly want to know is the specific type and size of wick you used in each container, the % of FO, time it took to achive a full melt pool, how many test you performed... Change any one of those and it can change the final product. You won't always have the same results using the same wick with every single FO. Some or heavy some or light in weight. You may need another size wick or an completely different wick all together. Your testing and that's what is important but it will take many more test to make sure you have a safe product. If there is ever a problem your liable.Even if you just gave the candle to someone without charging them for it. Keep up the good work and report back with your wick type. Someone will be here to help you.:smiley2:

How much testing did you do?

What kind of candles are these? As in containers or pillars? Which wax did you use? There are many different kinds of paraffin. You really need to know exactly what kind of wick you're using.... 2 1/2" is the length that it's cut to, not the size of the wicking.

Specific information is needed before anyone can make suggestions for improving them.

Honestly, you need to do a lot more research and testing before giving them to others... JMO

This is why I gave them to close friends to try

I personally would exercise caution in selling a product you don't know much about. I don't know you so I'm not making a judgment, but if *I* were MAKING and selling a product I would want to understand the components. Especially a product that could set a customer's house on fire.

But that's just me. And since I do NOT yet understand all the options well enough yet - I do not yet sell candles. Now soap - that I can talk about till you run and hide so I'm comfortable with selling that - lip balms too and such. But not candles. Not yet.

Well ask them where they are burning them, but even in a draft I don't get large flames. Something else has got to be off and I'd start with the wick, maybe retest a few you have.

If your friends are power burring them for a long period of time, maybe the wicks haven't been trimmed. An untrimmed wick can produce a large flame too. When you have someone besides yourself testing a product, you really don't know what is going on unless they write it all down. I keep a list next to my testers and write the exact time I light it and when I extinguish it. I know what my candles do.....when I am in control. The trick is to get a candle to burn under all conditions because the average consumer doesn't really know how to burn a candle. I let mine burn for hours and hours. Then burn only for an hour and blow it out. I really try to abusive them to see that happens. Donita

Donita has given you some excellent advise. You really do need to test your candles under all conditions. This needs to be done before giving them out to testers. Some customers will light a candle in the morning and let it burn all day without ever trimming a wick.

I can't offer any advise on you problem because I still do not know what type of candle you are testing or what you used to make it.

I just have to say, that this is why I love this board and all you wonderful folks on it. Everyone has given excellent, positive feedback allowing the person asking the question to be able to walk away without feeling like a bumbling idiot.

My only suggestion is to ponder what's been said and come back with more information so that you can get the help you need. The folks on this board are always eager to help.