Which wax is the "best" for container candles?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has any input as to which wax they thought was best for container candles?

Its my understanding that paraffin has the best sent throw cold or hot, but soy has the best look (creamy, virtually no frosting, no pitting..etc., and soy does not produce the black smoke that a paraffin candle does...

And what about this 70% soy/30% paraffin blend?

Bees Wax?

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi there!

I'm not sure if the input you'll get will help. There is no "best" container wax -- it depends on many factors and you'll just have to play around with wax samples and decide what works for you.

I started with paraffin but soon switched to soy... then progressed to a soy/paraffin blend.

My suggestion is find a supplier near you who carries a few different varieties, get some samples and experiment!

Hi there!

I'm not sure if the input you'll get will help. There is no "best" container wax -- it depends on many factors and you'll just have to play around with wax samples and decide what works for you.

I started with paraffin but soon switched to soy... then progressed to a soy/paraffin blend.

My suggestion is find a supplier near you who carries a few different varieties, get some samples and experiment!

i agree with this. I'm partial to EcoSoya Container and Palm container. They work for what I do.

I want to know who sells that soy 'w/ virtually no frosting' - LOL. You're really just going to have to read a whole lot & test to see what gives you the results you're looking to achieve. For a starting point -- I'd suggest 70/30, you'll get the best of both worlds & it's a very easy wax to get instant positive results.

Susan.

I want to know who sells that soy 'w/ virtually no frosting' - LOL. You're really just going to have to read a whole lot & test to see what gives you the results you're looking to achieve. For a starting point -- I'd suggest 70/30, you'll get the best of both worlds & it's a very easy wax to get instant positive results.

Susan.

I used J50 for most of my candle making career, which isn't that long. I recently switched to GL70/30. I like both of those waxes...J50 has more wet spots but a great scent throw. The 70./30 is easy to work with, less wet spots but I think the J50 throws just a little better. So I use both, because I have both. When I run out dont know which I will re order....I hate decisions!

I'm not sure where you are located but Bitter Creek has a "sample pack" of waxes you can buy to help you test the different waxes. The kit doesn't contain soy or my favorite so it's not a complete kit but it will get you started. It really does come down to personal taste in the end.

I like 4630 myself. I've tried 6006 (paraffin/soy blend), 4627 and J223 (paraffin) but didn't like them as well. Other people on the board will swear by these waxes and they are right. They have found the FO/wick/wax combo that works for them.

http://secure.candlesupply.com/catalog_page_detail.cfm?queries_index=index7&title_bar=Low%20Shrink%20Wax%20Discount&recordno=11&Product_CatalogID=1985&ProductCodeID=76&ProductSubCodeID=249&NewProduct=0

I'm partial to the IGI 6006. I used to use KY Parasoy container blend. I like both waxes, but found that 6006 could be purchased closer to me, I could pick it up and thus save on shipping so I switched to save me money. I like them both, but I switched so I could keep my costs down. It is all a personal preference. I myself do not like parafin wax as I find it harder to work with, but that is just my opinion. Everyone is different so just test, test and test to find what works for you.

Its my understanding that paraffin has the best sent throw cold or hot, but soy has the best look (creamy, virtually no frosting, no pitting..etc., and soy does not produce the black smoke that a paraffin candle does...

============

From my own experience and in-depth research...and from talking to many, MANY candlemakers through the years....this is right AND wrong. :)

In general, paraffin does have the best scent throw over soy. However, the WRONG part of your quote is that soy does not produce smoke/soot and paraffin does. Smoke is a by-product of (or the result of) burning. If your wicked soy candle doesn't smoke or soot...then you haven't lit it yet. Where there's fire...there's smoke/soot.

A lot of pro-soy sites out there will use the (un-educated and false) claim that paraffin smokes/soots...vs soy doesn't. That's baloney. I've used both soy and paraffin and BOTH will produce smoke & black soot if you add too much FO, use the wrong wick or fail to TRIM the wick...etc. Soy smokes also and at times I've had it smoke much worse than my paraffin. The bottom line is this: Anything that burns *can & *will smoke and cause soot. Period! See the ONLY exception below --- and no that exception is *not soy. :grin2:

There *IS only ONE exception to my knowledge! The only COMPLETELY soot free flame is a natural gas flame. This flame is completely blue and has what is called "a complete combustion". Any fire/flame that does NOT go through complete combustion produces smoke and soot. Soy can produce black soot as well as the harder-to-detect "white soot". The smoke and soot from a lot of soy candles is a whiter, finer soot (but still soot folks!) which is not as easy to see as the black soot but that doesn't mean it isn't there. It's there! That's one of the laws of physics so don't be fooled. You can't very well claim "Oh but MY soot is WHITE so that doesn't even count". Uhmmm..it's still soot. So...to re-cap, with soy you can get the black AND/OR white soot! The white soot may be "less noticeable" or even a "prettier soot" than the black colored soot... but it still has the same nasty properties.

Oh...and ragarding the "deadly" paraffin...we're talking about the exact same paraffin that covers most of your fruits, vegetables and a lot of chocolates, etc, and is approved SAFE to EAT by the FDA. The fruits and veges are covered with a thin layer of paraffin wax (yes, that awful stuff! -- :grin2: --) to make them shiny and more appealing to the consumer. So each time you eat an apple....unless you grow your own and pick them straight from the tree...you're most likely ingesting the "ALL-FATAL, KILLER PARAFFIN". And the Dr tells you to eat an apple a day! Shame on him! :grin2:

PLEASE do the research folks. Paraffin AND soy release chemicals and BOTH will smoke & soot to some extent but I have NEVER, EVER had (quote) "a black soot cover everything in my house" from *either* wax. (Which IS btw what is falsely stated on MANY/MOST soy / "anti-paraffin" websites) What little soot I've saw (from soy AND paraffin) was coming out of the wick & flame and then it disappeared into thin air. It was NOT on my countertops nor was it on my cabinets or walls when I wiped them down during the normal clean-up process after candlemaking. White paper towels would have certainly shown any BLACK soot. Of course there *could have been a lot of WHITE soot from the SOY not noticed on my white paper towel. :wink2: <wink>

HTH.

Mt Annie

================================