Any words of encouragement?

Jooniper

I opened a retail store in May. I had to move within three months due to zoning issues but ended up in a much better location and have been there since October. Sales for Christmas were wonderful and I felt pretty good. I obtained a pretty big (for me) wholesale account with potential for even bigger as they just opened another location. I was perhaps looking for words of encouragement as I think we did $46 is sales this week. DEAD AS A DOORNAIL as far as customers coming in the store. People told me it would be bad in January...I believe it. How is Valentines for those with retail locations? Before anyone jumps me and wonders how long I have been making candles and soaps....I have been doing this for about 7 years (candles) (soaps about 2 years) and had a pretty good home based business and decided to take it further. I just don't post my pictures and engage in alot of online conversation but am an avid reader of everyone's posts. So all those with stores....and even those without....what can I expect now? Thanks for the help I have gotten in the past and hopefully now!

:grin2:

It will get better/busier! I typcally have a slow Jan/Feb. but was hit hard last week and this weekend with 4 large orders!~ Sometimes you just never know, one year slow, this year busy!

Keep the faith girl! Things will come your way and being positive works!

HTH

Carrie

Keep your head up Sweetie. If you have been making candles and soaps for 7yr/2yrs you're doing something right.:grin2: If nothing was going right, you would have been out of business right now. But the mere fact that you have a retail store and a person like me is yet working on one, you're the bomb. And I admire that about you. Know that great things come to those that wait. I wish you all the best this year.

I would think with any business a slump right after the holidays is normal. Also too, with tax time fast approaching, businesses always seem to take a hit around that time as well. Don't give up or get down! I think that there are just cycles throughout the year that cause business to slow down. Ask other business owners in other areas of business, I'll bet they tell you the same thing!

Thanks everyone!! I just needed to hear "read" it from candle makers too! Ya know...everyone tells me how crappy January is and somehow it just feels better to me when other candle "people" tell me. This has been such an interesting ride so far! I have been in the medical field all my adult life and retail is a new world. I am gearing up for VD.....I am afraid to make too much or too little .....This is part of the fun I suppose! I am absolutely having a blast in my little shop!! despite all the uncertanties!

VD is for Valentines Day yes? Just wanted to clarify. Sorry.. couldn't help myself.:laugh2:

I wouldn't get too discouraged. January is typically slow. I see it everywhere in all the stores I visit-- except for grocery stores and drug stores of course.

Someone mentioned testing during the slow period. Thats exactly what I do. Test new spring lines of FOs and catch up on updating my website, the accounting, inventory, etc. Stuff I HATE doing but has to be done. I don't have time during the busy season for some of that so I am always waiting for this time of year to catch up.

A vacation sounds like a nice idea thou...

January and February are my slowest months at the store. December carries me through those two months. My words of encouragement are this, Ya can't make lemonade unless you buy the lemons. By this I mean, go out and get you some customers. If they are not coming in, advertise in anyway that you can and make them come in. Run a special, maybe a freebie with a purchase. Print up flyers and every person that even glances your way, give them one. It's hard to do, but it's what you have to do. Once you've done it enough, they will come on their own.

Don't get down, I know it's hard not to, but take this opportunity of your store being slow, to restock, redecorate, reorganize, and even come up with new ideas or products. Heck, I'm still counting my inventory.

Good Luck and go get you some new customers.

Our family had a retail store that was in the same location for over 60 years. Still there, in fact. Not a candle store, more like a meat/convenience store. January was always so slow we would close for a week and take vacation. September was our other slow month. Christmas was huge and carried us through. Hang in there-things will pick up. Just budget for the slow times and you will be ok. Good luck in '08!

Being in Retail can REALLY play with your emotions....We have been making and selling Candles for about 10.5 years now...have had our Retail Store for about 2 years 8 months....EVERY single year...with or without the Retail Store has always been somewhat of a let-down...From Mid October to End of December ....Seems EVERYONE just HAS to have a Candle....then it dies down...so Please, Do NOT get discouraged. Just remember, you are doing WHAT you love, and that means alot...IT will pick back up!! Candles have been around for 100's of years...and so I don't think they are going anywhere...and You obviously have been doing something RIGHT to have been making them so long. Fly-By-Nighters are usually GONE the first year or two. So PICK you UP and SMILE!!!!:yay: :yay: :yay:

Joyce

(David's Wife)

Hi,

have you ever thought of running workshopsin the slower period? I am not suggesting you actually teach people how to make what you sell..lolol but other items that you don't sell?

I got into selling candles/soaps etc and markets by actually running classes in for years in the first instance. perhaps you could run workshopsin bath salts, bath bombs, massage oils, body butters...that sort of thing?

All you'd need to do is go through everything you know how to do but don't sell and operate a 'Gift Creation Workshop'. You could even offer these workshops as ideal Xmas presents but actually run the workshops til January.

I don't know about your holidays, but here in Australia we have school holiday all through january so you could be inventive and market toward both adults and children thus allowing parents and children to learn together?

Personally, I'd LOVE a workshop in packaging techniques!!!

If you dont sell soaps you could operate a Melt n Pour workshop as well as a CP workshop using the room temp method...easy enough to do.

Just an idea

Cheers,

Hells

I've run an home-based biz since 1995, relying mostly on craftshows, flea markets etc for sales, so I know about the after Christmas/ before Valentines slump. What I normally do is discount items that I want to get out of stock, send emails, postcards, pass out flyers or special brochures with these items, this brings in a few sales. I also use this time to do research for new products, decide what products aren't doing good, which to tweek, or get rid of all together, etc... It's a great time to work on Valentines and Spring/Easter items.

As far as sales, I always plan for the slump, so pretty much my 3rd quarter profits takes care of oct, nov, dec, and jan, things normally picks up with pre-sales for Valentines beginning the last week of January for me and I've had time to prepare for it.