Flat Pillar Pins

Chris,

I didn't know they had that - just the EZ Wick Setter tool. Where are you getting your centering tools? They are out of the 3" ones and I can't find them at the other places they list. Its nice that they have different sized rods too.

cpp-2_small.gifThis is the pic of one of the ones at Candlewic. Does anyone have them and happen to know if they are flat?

cpp-3_small.gifHere is a pic of the one witha 4" base. Anyone? These look like they may be flat.

I ordered some from Thecandlemakerstore. They were flat but the base was really small, maybe 2 inches. They were a really long nail that looked as if it had been welded to a metal disk. They bent really easily and did not work for me, but that is not to say they may not work for you.

I took the pic of the wick centering tool into the guys in our model shop along with a mold and a wick pin. They made me 6 lickety split. It's just a piece of aluminum with a hole in the center and 90* bends 1-1/2" out from center. They work with the wick pin on square and octoganal molds, too. I also saw a pic on here somewhere - someone's son made wick centerers out of wood. Same principal, easier to find material.

Might be easier than finding flat wick pins.

This is the pic of one of the ones at Candlewic. Does anyone have them and happen to know if they are flat?

Here is a pic of the one witha 4" base. Anyone? These look like they may be flat.

The votive pins aren't flat. The 4 inch pillar pins are among the flattest I've seen but the base is still a little convex. Put a flat topped mold on it and it will totally wobble.

For pillars I've come to prefer the wick centering tool. The only real downside is that there's a fair amount of play in the assembly. It can jiggle around a bit and never really will be perfect. I think the next step in its evolution should be a plastic injection-molded version that's a snug fit with the mold and the pin.

Topofmurryhill this is Robert with EZ Wick Systems I think a while back we had talked and I mentioned that I was going to have them made with a plastic injection mold. But the ones you have now are made of metal and you can bend the ends in and make it snug. It is very easy to make it fit snug there are a lot of different size pillar molds as for as thickness. We are hoping to have the plastic injected ones hopefully out by the first of the year. You can send me your mold and tools and I can bend them to make them fit for you. Our shipping address is on our site.

Henryk we are the only ones that sell the wick centering tool right now because I make them by hand. I fixed the site so it does not show that we are out stock anymore.

Eugenia I know you had gotten some and mentioned that you were not really happy with them or something you were not real happy with. You can send them back and I will refund your money. Or if there is anything else I can do to fix them let me know. Rob in tx

Topofmurryhill this is Robert with EZ Wick Systems I think a while back we had talked and I mentioned that I was going to have them made with a plastic injection mold. But the ones you have now are made of metal and you can bend the ends in and make it snug. It is very easy to make it fit snug there are a lot of different size pillar molds as for as thickness. We are hoping to have the plastic injected ones hopefully out by the first of the year. You can send me your mold and tools and I can bend them to make them fit for you. Our shipping address is on our site.

Henryk we are the only ones that sell the wick centering tool right now because I make them by hand. I fixed the site so it does not show that we are out stock anymore.

Eugenia I know you had gotten some and mentioned that you were not really happy with them or something you were not real happy with. You can send them back and I will refund your money. Or if there is anything else I can do to fix them let me know. Rob in tx

Folks this is a typical example of the personal service you get from EZ Wick Systems.

Rob, thanks, I think I'm getting all the performance possible out of the existing product. It is really a very good method, much better than regular pillar pins for many reasons. There is just no way to make the whole assembly really rock solid because the bend will always have some radius to it and the hole is a little bigger than the rod. Also a lot of people like Eugenia make candles that require a lot of tilting/sloshing and the assembly isn't stable enough for that.

So basically I think it's a great product but I'm looking forward to the injection molded version, which I believe could be superb. It should slide onto the mold rock solid and the pin should fit snugly through it. I just wonder if you can design that while still having the same device fit both round and square/octagonal molds.

By the way I've been using the centering tool without the rod to secure the top of the wick in 12oz status jars and 8oz tins! I'm getting a lot of mileage out of your invention.

Thanks Topofmurrayhill. Are you using an aluminum or steel pillar mold. I could take a 4" and bend it with the 3" jig and the legs would be a little longer and it might give you a better fit if you are tilting the mold or moving it. I don't think the hole is large enough to make the wick off centered that would be more than about 1/32" or less. Anyway we will be making them for the containers as well they will fit the containers that the EZ Wick Setter fits. It will also have multiple holes for double wicking as well.

Thanks Rob in tx

it and the hole is a little bigger than the rod.

So, when you use this device, is the rod small enough to fit into the hole in a seamless pillar mold? I would still like the bottom of the molds to be the tops of the candles, or when using this device are you forced to use the tops of the molds for the tops of the pillars? (I hope not, and I doubt it, but wanted to ask).

Thanks.

So, when you use this device, is the rod small enough to fit into the hole in a seamless pillar mold? I would still like the bottom of the molds to be the tops of the candles, or when using this device are you forced to use the tops of the molds for the tops of the pillars? (I hope not, and I doubt it, but wanted to ask).

Thanks.

The rod for the WCT is the same diameter as a pillar pin. The only difference is that you insert it from the top of the mold rather than up through the wick hole. instead of being secured to a base, the top end is held steady by the WCT bracket and the other end by resting in the wick hole. You seal the wick hole semi-permanently with metal tape.

One of the notable benefits is that both the top and bottom of the rod are centered. That's not true of pillar pins, although in fact you can use the WCT to center the top of a pillar pin if you like. That might be handy when tilting and sloshing is necessary. Another big benefit is that preparing to use a mold is just a matter of a few seconds to put the WCT and rod in place with no centering worries or messing with mold sealer.

A few side benefits I've discovered:

• The 3" WCT fits on a number of containers, including notably the 8oz tins and 12oz status jars I use. I put the top of the wick through the center hole, push down a little on the WTC and clip it with a paper fastener. The springiness of the metal creates a little tension and holds the wick perfectly centered and straight while the container sets up.
  • The WCT creates a handy platform for a mold weight, making it easy to use a water bath with your seamless aluminum molds if you like.

The only downside, as I've mentioned, is that the WCT is cut from sheet metal and bent to fit over the mold. Since the bend has a bit of a radius to it, it's never going to fit as tightly and precisely as an injection-molded piece of plastic would. Also, we are putting a metal rod through a piece of sheet metal so there is a 1/32" clearance between the two. That allows the rod to rotate and tilt a tiny bit and push laterally against the WCT. Not a big issue with the mold just sitting level, but not quite stable enough for sloshing wax around. As I mentioned, you could still use it to help center a regular pillar pin just like Trish does with her wooden doo-hickey.

Henry you are gonna LOVE these things and Rob has the best customer service around!! :yes: I put a bit of mold sealer covering the wick hole and duct tape it up and never have to take it off. When I insert the centering rod, it fits snug in the hole because of the sealer and I have perfect tops and a perfectly centered wick every time!! :D You'll wonder how you worked so long without them LOL!!

Chris and Alex - thank you VERY much for responding. Your right, I have the pillar (and the jar one) on order - and can't wait to try them and ditch those wick pins.

Now I'm wishing some place would make seamless molds without the holes in them to begin with.

Henry this is Robert again Im not sure if they are still in business but Dallas Candle Supply sells the molds with or without the holes. Im curious of what you have in mind for them without the holes. Something for everyone to think about and I will try to get a picture up soon is using a rubber grommet in the bottom hole. One of my customers sent a mold to me with one in it. The rod fits in the hole in the grommet in the bottom. She never has to use mold sealer, tape or anything. and the rod fits in very snug. She is in Dallas and I will ask her if it is alright to post her name and where she gets the grommets from. It is a really good idea for the bottom of molds. The bottms need to be metal molds with a base or the concave bottoms. Anyway check out Dallas Candle Supply and see if they are still in business. HTH Rob in tx