TOG mold

idacandlelady

The only thing I don't like is that the foam liners get out of whack after a few batches of soap. I get some bars that have "deep waves" on the edges because of the liners. Other than that, I'm completely satisfied.

One thing I don't like is that the outside bars are bigger than the inside ones. Is this normal? I'm not sure if they all are like this or just mine. Also my dividers don't go all the way tight to the sides, only on 2 of them. Almost like they were cut a little short. I really like how smooth the (divider) sides come out, but on the foam sides I can see your point, the wavyness.( I can live with that though)

I have the convertible log/slab mold (3lb) with funky foam liners. Like mentioned above, the funky foam tends to create craters. I can't seem to figure out when I get craters and when I don't. Other than that, the mold itself is very nice and easy to use.

Ann M

I have a convertable also and don't get the craters. Well I did once but I smoothed them out with the edge of a credit card and don't get them any longer. I have never used it as a slab mold. My only issue was getting a perfect fit with the liner pieces - but once I got it figured out I labeled the pieces as to where I want them to go for the tightest seams and now no problem.

What mold do you have, I am thinking the one with the Lexan® dividers?

These should fit tight. Mine have to be put in exactly straight or they won't sit flush on the bottom of the mold. I would email Paul about this~ he will fix any issues with his molds.

I PM'd a few of the TOG ladies on this board before I bought my mold, which is the 12/24 bar slab mold. I took out the funky foam and cut pieces of mylar the same size. So, basically this mold is double-lined, but the bars will come out silky smooth. That was the primary concern with most of the TOG soapers, the funky foam leaving marks on the soap, especially tallow bars. But I will say the funky foam along with the wood thickness and construction on these molds does eliminate any need for extra insulation to get a full gel. I am going to get some more off eBay and line all my soap molds this way, as I can soap stone cold and leave the soap in the coldest part of my basement and I get full gel in less an hour this way.

I know he is super slammed right now with special/holiday orders, but if you email him off Etsy~ he will get back to you. He hasn't been on CT in a while so PMing him here might take longer.

Love my TOG molds. I do have issues with the funky foam and my tallow soap...leaves really rough sides on the soap. I have since cut mylar liners that I put in against the foam for all my tallow and that is working better. I have 4 of his molds including the big triple log, and his cutter. All mine are the same size and make all the same size bars. If yours don't I would definately contact Paul.

Since we're on the subject of lining ... not necessarily the TOG ... anyone remember seeing sealing the wooden molds with say some silicone? Thinking of trying it some of my older wooden molds.

There is a huge thread on the Dish about this.

Technique included. I think the end result was sticking when trying to release the soap with the silicone coating. Check it out. :wink2:

Technique included. I think the end result was sticking when trying to release the soap with the silicone coating. Check it out. :wink2:

I tried it but couldn't get the silicone sealant smooth enough, so my soaps need to be planed a tiny bit. Then I started putting freezer paper for only the bottom & 2 long sides so I have something to grab onto and to pull it out & also requires less planing.

Ah that's where it was. Was curious about the results of those who tried it. Need smooth sided jelly to make the mold linings then maybe. I've been using the flexible cutting boards and cutting to size, but I'd rather have something I don't have to keep track of every little piece.

Sold mine. I wanted a bigger size and didn't care for the liners. hubby made simple log molds for dirt cheap from plywood. I do have to line them with freezer paper, but I like it better than the foam. They are also not as pretty as togs, but I wanted function, so it works for me. The foam was hard to clean for me without the liners getting mishapen.

Bethany

I weighed the comments on etsy with his reputation here and on The Whisk and the reputation won out, given that I view etsy to be like eBay when it comes to comments ... you're lucky to get one much less a good one just for making quick payments.

I also know Jeff on here and he backed Paul too ... soooooooooooooooo I bought. It's not here yet, but hoping it arrives within a week.

I would love to have the little bitty mold he has, since the soap is just for me anyway. I really dont like the foam stuff. I tried to do that myself and it was a big mess and ummm, yeah dont put that stuff in the oven:o But it looks like the Togs molds lining fits much better than mine did.

I caved and bought the 6/12 slab mold with dividers today. Don't shoot me MA! I saw on his etsy site where he said starting tomorrow (1/2) he was raising his prices 5-7% due to wood costs increasing. I admit it. I'm weak. I panicked and hit "BUY". :wink2:

Donna

Donna, let us know how the 6/12 slab mold works out for you. I want that one as well as the mini mold. I'll just have to pay the extra amount in the prices as I won't be buying until the next week or so. Hopefully, working with the TOG molds will be better then me trying to findangle (sp) with parchment paper to make a liner for the wooden mold that I have. It takes me forever to line that thing!!:waiting:

I actually spoke with Paul the owner of the TOG etsy site, on another forum and he was really nice. Not only was he able to answer my questions but others who had the molds as well was able to back him up. :)

So...when you guys say funky foam you mean the foam you can buy at walmart in the craft section for like fifty scents:D . I am making my own mold and soap slicer and was planning on lining it with wax paper every time but...if the foam you guys are talking about is the foam I am thinking about, I may be in business.