Ready to scream trying to find a wick

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was reading this thread and was wondering if you found the right wick yet? I don't make these but found this thread interesting.;)

Kimmeroo

I have not found a wick as of yet, but I have ECO, CD and Premier on the way for testing. I have found wicks that give me a decent burn and melt pool, but for now I am unwilling to live with the resulting mushroom development

Well so far my testing with the Premier wicks have a mixed result. Good melt pool almost to the edge, about 1/4" deep and far less mushroom than other wicks I have tested, but still more than I would like to have. I still get 3-4 petals about 1/16" in dia after a 3 hour burn which tends to hinder the flame.

So I decided to try another test. Since I had mushrooms in straight 444 and in my mixture of 90%444 and 10%4627, I wondered what I would get with a 70/30 mix. I wicked down since there was more 4627 in the mix, and lo and behold after 4 hours I had only a few very small dots clinging to my wicks. I could live with this, however, (there always seems to be a however) my melt pool is almost to the edge but has now grown to 3/4" deep!!!

I still have CD and ECO on the way for testing LOL Good thing I am a patient man!!

What size premier wick did you test? I used Eco 12 in the 8 oz tin, and they work great.

I tried 760, 765,767,770,and 777 in the Premier wicks. My ECO and CD wicks just arrived today so I have more testing to do. I am running out of options though LOL

This is still the 3 inch tin right? How tall is it? How are you able to tell how deep the melt pool is if you can't see through it? I'm a n00b so I'm curious. :)

The tin is about 2"tall but I only poured it half full for the test. It melted clear to the bottom, and I could see the bottom of the tin after 3 hours. I dipped a toothpick in to measure the actual depth.

I am just wanting to foloow this thread ;) as I know I have tins that I want to try but havent made any with wicks in them yet cause I have read how different they are from jars ect...so right now my tins are wickless on the warmers

I've been testing the Premiers and Fil-Tec Ulta Core for the past couple of months. If I can get these pictures posted, you'll see the Ulta Core doesn't mushroom. This is the 2nd 3 hr burn after it hardened. I know the last thing you need is to pay more shipping costs for yet another type of wick but...I think these are worth a try. I got the sample pack directly from Fil-Tec.com I'll be purchasing the sizes I need from Early American Candle Supplies.

HTH

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh318/ArleneB_01/candles/UltraTec2402275india.jpg

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh318/ArleneB_01/candles/UltraTec2402275india2.jpg

arlene are those jars the same size at the bottom as they are on top? I have jars from genwax that are called the bayside ones and also the Monticiano, the bayside are the ones where it is a tad narrower on the bottom hence more soot for me. I just saw another thread about the Fil-Tec.com wicks and now with your photos I am very more interested thanks for sharing

Guest LightofDawn

Arlene, can I ask what the diameter of your jar in the pictures is? I purchased a sample pack not to long and after looking at your pictures I think I need to give them a test.

Thanks

Dawn

Gdawg...I'm so glad you told me the difference in those two jars. I got my jar(s) as part of a gift pkg of candles many years ago. I've been looking for the same jar but wasn't sure which of the ones on the genwax site was closer. I wish they had the Monticiano in a 7oz size. :( Well...they do, but not the same dimensions. Mine is 2.75" across. The perfect size IMHO. I have one that tapers (one p or 2?) from 2 and 7/8 down to 2 and 1/4. You can see the difference in the picture. I'll lite that one tonight and check for sooting. I really don't think it will. I have it under wicked because of the taper. We'll see how it goes and I'll let you know.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh318/ArleneB_01/candles/frostedjars.jpg

My2Scents...I know that you're wanting to single wick but if all else fails...this jar (below) is 3.25" wide. I'm using 2 Ultra Core 2.000's and it's doing a wonderful job. Just a thought.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh318/ArleneB_01/candles/325diaUltraCore20.jpg

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh318/ArleneB_01/candles/325diaUltraCore2000.jpg

Guest LightofDawn

Thanks Arlene, I am using the Madison Jars with approx. 3" diameter and C3. I am going to have to do some testing and see how these wicks do.

Thanks again

Dawn

My ongoing testing looking for a wick that will not mushroom for me in an 8oz tin with an 80%444 20%4627 blend. Tonight I burned my latest tests using an ECO10 and CD14. After 4 hours both had a very good melt pool, just shy of the edge. The CD14 however had significant mushrooming. The ECO10 had only 1 or 2 very small dots and I can definitely live with that. However I noticed the ECO10 threw off much more soot than the CD and I was not happy with that. I am going to try wicking down to an ECO 8 in hopes that the slightly smaller flame will throw less soot while still maintaining a sufficient melt pool

In my 11 oz. tumblers, 3" diameter I use a 60 zinc wick and have great melt pool. Trim the wick like you are suppose to and they are perfect!

I always add some stearic to harden the wax some and they are great!

But then again, no one here seems to use zinc in soy, so I'm probably going to hear alot about this! LOL

Zinc wicks rock!:tiptoe:

OK, bring it on!

Carrie

My2Scents...How did the ECO 8 work out? Did it have less sooting than the ECO 10?

Gdawg...Good news and strange news. lol The straight sided container was overwicked and it mushroomed. Since it wasn't tabbed I thought I would just let it harden and then switch out sizes. A couple of hours later the mushroom that seemed so large was now insignificant. Okay...probably dropped into the wax and I'll see it on the bottom later. After a few 3 hr. burns and 1 marathon 5-6 hr. I realized the wick was going to fall over so I needed to take the picture before it did. Needless to say, I got to watching the election coverage and forgot about it. Hmmm. Not be able to leave anything alone I put it on the candle warmer to melt and lo and behold, the mushroom wasn't in the bottom of the jar. Where did it go? Now even I can't believe what I did next. I fished out that little 1 inch wick and tabbed it. Yup..I did. Bless it's little heart, it stood up to the handling just fine. I just sat it in the bottom of the jar and let it harden again. lol I finished up the burn tonight. Maybe the mushroom fairy came and took it away. :tiptoe:

The jar with the taper has me puzzled. I knew it was slightly discolored to begin with. It's an old jar that started it's life with gel candles in it. I knew you were concerned with sooting so after I took the pictures I noticed the discoloration even more. Was it soot? I didn't think so. I took one of those micro-fiber cloths and ran it around the edges quite a few times. No soot came off but it does look like a funky color. :confused: Is it a full moon?

So all an' all I think it was a pretty good test. Little mushrooming and what there was mysteriously disappeared and no soot.

Whew...sorry this was so long and drawn out. It's been one of those days. :laugh2:

post-5681-139458440033_thumb.jpg

post-5681-139458440035_thumb.jpg

post-5681-139458440038_thumb.jpg

Candlelady,

I ALWAYS trim my wicks to 1/4 " before burning and zincs were in my first batch of testing, The mushroomed the most for me of all I have tried except maybe the RRD.

Arlene,

I just poured the tester with the ECO 8 this evening and will burn tomorrow with my fingers and toes crossed. Just for giggles I also poured one with a CD10 and an ECO 6 just to see what they do.

In my 11 oz. tumblers, 3" diameter I use a 60 zinc wick and have great melt pool. Trim the wick like you are suppose to and they are perfect!

I always add some stearic to harden the wax some and they are great!

But then again, no one here seems to use zinc in soy, so I'm probably going to hear alot about this! LOL

Zinc wicks rock!:tiptoe:

OK, bring it on!

Carrie

I use zinc in my soy but I have a ton of Eco wicks along with tons of LX and others that I hope to test one day.