Ready to scream trying to find a wick

Well the ECO 8 didn't fare too well. The first burn wasn't bad, left about 1/8" all around, but the next 2 burns both tunneled and never caught up. Seems like the only way I can get a full melt pool in this 8oz tin with a single wick is to use a wick so large that it turns into a torch and smokes.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry the ECO 8 didn't work out for you. No luck on the CD 10 either? I had always been determined to single wick my 3" and 3 1/4" tumblers but like you said, I didn't like the huge flames. I finally gave in to double wicking and now I'm glad I did. I don't worry about it as much, especially if I'm testing for HT and the candle is in another room. I guess it's either that or stick with smaller diameter tins and jars. :(

I had always been determined to single wick my 3" and 3 1/4" tumblers but like you said, I didn't like the huge flames.

A CDN 14 is a good starting point for that size container and does not produce a "huge flame" (at least in my candles) so long as one keeps the wick trimmed properly. The same or similar size CD should work also. I think a CD 10 would be inadequate for a container of that diameter.

A CDN 14 is a good starting point for that size container and does not produce a "huge flame" (at least in my candles) so long as one keeps the wick trimmed properly. The same or similar size CD should work also. I think a CD 10 would be inadequate for a container of that diameter.

I did try a CD 14 on my first test along with an ECO 10, both gave me a very good melt pool, however both had very large flames and I could see soot rolling off of the quite often. The CD 14 also mushroomed considerably. That was why I tried to wick down but it didn't work. If I trim the wick shorter than 1/4", maybe 1/8", then my flame is not so large until the end of the burn then it smokes again. Maybe I just need to keep these wicks trimmed shorter?

Getting the mushrooms with no FO doesn't surprise me - I asked mainly because of your sooting issues. I use ECOs and while the flames to tend to be a bit large (and I actually like them that way) I don't get any soot problems with them. Although wicks are very personal, try an ECO with no FO and see if you get the same result.

What is a 51z wick? I am reading a thread on another forum right now, and it was recommended for an 8 oz tin to use that wick. The wax was j223 but still, might that help somewhat??? If you can figure out the general wicking difference in that wax compared to yours, you might be able to find the right size?

What is a 51z wick? I am reading a thread on another forum right now, and it was recommended for an 8 oz tin to use that wick. The wax was j223 but still, might that help somewhat??? If you can figure out the general wicking difference in that wax compared to yours, you might be able to find the right size?

The 51z is a zinc, already tried it and the zincs mushroomed the worst for me. Plus when I put it out the mushrooms fell in the wax so I couldn't even trim them off. It did give me a great melt pool though

Getting the mushrooms with no FO doesn't surprise me - I asked mainly because of your sooting issues. I use ECOs and while the flames to tend to be a bit large (and I actually like them that way) I don't get any soot problems with them. Although wicks are very personal, try an ECO with no FO and see if you get the same result.

Thanks SpaceGirl, I will try that. Of all the wicks I have tried so far, the ECo has been one of the best in my tests

Well if none of them work out for you, try the HTP's. I use them only in tins and I like the results with them the best (C3 wax). No shrooms at all and if you slightly twist your wick before you set it, it will turn while burning and avoid the hang up on one side. Since tins get hot anyway, I tend to underwick to avoid the deep MP.