Killer Liquid Soap!

cbv1

Oh boy... I gave my daughter some liquid soap to bring to work and put in their bathroom. Mind you, this is my second batch of liquid soap and I am not selling it yet, just having people test it. My first batch I thickened too much with Borax, because I watered it down too much. My second batch I didn't thicken, I just lowered the water to paste ratio. Well, the soap is thin but not as thin as water, and it lathers nicely. My daughter IM'd me to tell me the soap squirted a co-worker in the eye. Apparently the pump on the bottle gets a little knob of hardened soap after use, then when someone gives it a good pump, it squirts in odd directions. I am so embarrassed! Has this happened to anyone else? I may need to use foamers, or make the soap much thicker again! So now my daughter has labeled my soap 'Killer Soap'!

The soap works fine as long as it doesn't squirt you in the eye! I received some foamers I got off the classifieds here so I am waiting to try these out next week when I have some time off from my full time job. I will swap out the deadly pump bottles with the foamers for now and keep experimenting with my liquid soap. I haven't gotten to bath gels yet, but I am looking forward to getting to those sometime this next year!

remember with the foamers you dilute the soap, so will probably want to add a preservative

Oh boy, I didn't think of that. I am not sure what type of preservative I should add, or how much for that matter. Back to the drawing board.... :confused:

For the foamers you will need to dilute the liquid soap or it won't foam right. It has to be pretty thin to foam correctly and I also use a preservative. I used liquid Germall Plus.

You kind of have to experiment a little until you get the right consistency for the foamers then they are all the same for the same batch of liquid soap.

I love the foamers.

I make and thin my soap with distilled water and have never used a preservative. No ickies have grown in the original or thinned applications. The reason I make my own is to avoid the preservatives and other unwanted ingredients that are present in commercial products

However, my recipe is very simple and doesn't include goat milk, etc.

I prefer the foamers as well. They will shoot out too as the nozzle eventually builds up with dry foam. I cup my hand around the nozzle when I pump it and then clear the nozzle from time to time.

Good luck with your soap!

I didn't have to dilute my liquid soap any more than it already was. I guess if I want to use a regular pump bottle I will need to use less water when I dilute the paste. I have been testing a foamer bottle with my liquid soap as is and it foams fine. I guess the squirting in the pump bottle is due to a thin liquid soap.

I will get the hang of this at some point! :rolleyes2

I'm agree with Brenda on the preservative. You can either Dilute the soap to the consistency you want it for the foamer, Or keep it thick and dilute it later. The water is added after the cook when you dilute the paste anyway, so I don't really understand why you would need a preservative.. I've never used a preservative for the foamers or other wise.

Hmmm.... I don't like having to add anything that is not necessary as I am trying to keep my products as natural as possible. Does anyone else dilute there liquid soaps more after the initial heated dilution of the paste?

I posted a question about potassium sorbate as a natural preservative but no one has responded yet. I emailed Snowdrift Farms asking them if the potassium sorbate they sell is a natural product but they haven't responded either.... so I will continue to research and read any responses from the seasoned pros here!

I really appreciate all the feedback, thank you!