Making Silicone Molds???

HelenW

I am considering making my own silicone molds and was wondering how difficult it is. I have been checking out websites of silicone/polyurethane etc. molds and the ones I am interested in are usually 1 cavity and $ 19.99 or more, plus shipping to Canada is a tad more expensive, plus all the extras, so I had this idea.

Now, I am not asking for anyone in the Silicone mold business to give away their trade secrets, I am asking just for some honest feedback from anyone who has attempted this.

Any input would be appreciated.

there are a couple of people on ebay who i buy my silicone molds from for making CP soap.

One is a pink harder material that seems very durable. However some of the molds with lots of detail, dont release that easy since the mold is so stiff. The soap comes out with some of the deatil broken off and still stuck in the mold.

The other mold is more of a clear/white color, its more flexable and squishy. I was worried at first if it would be durable, and so far it is. The benefit of this more flexible type is that is totally peels right off of the soap with no effort. No loss of detail what so ever.

I am able to put both these mold types in the oven on warm for 10min with no problems, I usually do this to insure gel since the single molded soaps cool so fast and are more suseptable to parcial gels.

I hope we get some replies to this-I have been trying to get the same info for a couple of years and even suggested that we have a tutorial in the craft section on this. I'd like to see how to do a mold for electric candles. The silicone is so expensive I have been afraid to try on my own and ruin it.

Glo

I believe that there was a couple of people on this board that actually have made them. Not just barncat. If the search funtion is actually working try and do a search on the post. If I remember correctly there was a lot of good information on in it but I don't remember what all was said about actually making them.

I have made a few molds. Some came out ok, some not..and had to be trashed. I havemore to try a few more things that I want to get done. The hardest part for me whas getting the item to stay down, it kept floating to the top. Oh...and its very messy.

I had the same problem first time around. Learned to either use double sided tape or some silicone to keep the item from floating to the top. I've even used duct tape folded over on itself once, and they all worked fine. Just find what works best for what you're trying to hold in place.

Making them is fairly easy. Get the 1 to 1 mix ratio. You can even go for Polyurethane. It is a bit cheaper than silicone and makes very nice long lasting molds. I have a couple block soap molds that have made several thousand blocks and look as good as new.

Only issue is that you may want a separate mold for each scent you do as there maybe some scent carryover. You will get this with Silicone or polyurethane.

To hold an item down use container blend wax it works like a glue and cleans up easily.

Thanks

Charlie

I wonder if you could use like the tubed silicone for outdoors from Home Depot? I mean, I'm sure it wouldn't dry so fast, but I wonder if it could be done? That stuff turns to flexible rubber and is waterpoof and all.