CDN wicks... need some insight

Stella you little devil, where are when I need you!:laugh2:

My issues ( I have many, but I'll stick to the candle related ones for now). I poured 2 16 oz. apothocary jars with c-3.... no fo, no color... just wax and wicks.

Jar 1... has 2 cdn 8's. Trimmed wicks to just shy of 1/4 inch, burned for about 45 minutes and one wick drowned.

Jar 2... has 2 cdn 10's. Trimmed wickes to just shy of 1/4 inch, burned for 3.5 hours... good melt pool, but lots of soot rings in the melted wax. No soot on jar, just in the wax only. The flame didn't flicker, but bent over like they were bowing and that's the way the flame stayed.

Note... anytime I've tried cd 10s, they do the same thing as the cdns only the flame isn't bent. I was really happy with the melt pool on the cdn 10s, but the soot is killing me and it makes for a butt ugly candle.

Suggestions?

Kim

Not Stella,

I just wanted to let you know that even though I have tested the C3 for a short time, I also get soot in this wax. I'm testing C3 with a CD 10 in a JJ with fo and alittle color, so far so good with the soot, but the flame in crazy big after a few hours :(

I thought soy took a larger wick?? I'm going to test ECOs soon, but I don;t think it;s my CD's as I don't get soot in the wax with any other wax. Also, the CD's bend WAY too much for my liking. Back to the drawing board...6yrs and counting.

I just tested some CD and CDN wicks tonight. I had used them several years ago and thought I would give them another try. So far I haven't had a soot problem but the bend drives me nuts!!!:tongue2: Plus, no matter what size I use the flame constantly dances around and bounces. I like a straight pretty flame but the wicks that give me a constant non-bouncing flame either produce a lot of soot or mushroom. There seems to always be a trade off when it comes to wicks. I'm sure Stella will have some good advise.

Stella you little devil, where are when I need you!:laugh2:

My issues ( I have many, but I'll stick to the candle related ones for now). I poured 2 16 oz. apothocary jars with c-3.... no fo, no color... just wax and wicks.

Jar 1... has 2 cdn 8's. Trimmed wicks to just shy of 1/4 inch, burned for about 45 minutes and one wick drowned.

Jar 2... has 2 cdn 10's. Trimmed wickes to just shy of 1/4 inch, burned for 3.5 hours... good melt pool, but lots of soot rings in the melted wax. No soot on jar, just in the wax only. The flame didn't flicker, but bent over like they were bowing and that's the way the flame stayed.

Note... anytime I've tried cd 10s, they do the same thing as the cdns only the flame isn't bent. I was really happy with the melt pool on the cdn 10s, but the soot is killing me and it makes for a butt ugly candle.

Suggestions?

Kim

You may have more luck with Eco or RRD wicks which are both good performers in soy. Sorry, I'm not Stella but I have been making candles for several years - despite my post count not being that huge.

I beginning to think with wicks, it's really almost like fo's a very personal preference. While we all strive for a good mp and good ht, some are content with shrooms, some with glass that might seem hot to others, some don't mind the bend in the wicks or fiddling with the wicks while burning. Personally, the bend drives me crazy if the flame follows it and burns one side more than the other and I'm not one to be messin with a wick while the candle is burning, but that's my peeve...doesn't mean these don't work fine for some. The wick twisting trick does help with that. I had to quit using the flat wicks in glass containers because I couldn't get them to burn right.

KandleKrazy is right, with wax, wicks, FO it's always a trade off and that changes from one person to the next. RRD's are nice but they are like a little pac man. They consume wax at such a high rate that my candles don't last as long as they do with other wicks. That's just my opinion, may not be the same for others. I also have more soot with them when using higher than 6% FO. I am using high quality FO's and normally only need 5-6%. There are two other wicks that produce a very attractive flame but I get a stream of black smoke with them. Using the same FO at 6% I don't have the black smoke problem but when using another wick the scent throw isn't as good. I finally decided to go with a wick that had some mushrooming but didn't produce black smoke. It's good to be in search of perfection but so far there seems to always be a trade off. Correct one problem and you might create a different one in another area. Change wicks to avoid mushrooming and that wick might not give you the best scent throw. It's always a challenge!:)