Where do I begin researching Car air freshners & blanks?

I'm been thinking about doing these for awhile and just wondered where to begin?

I know that I need to purchase the cardboard blanks as well as so DPG for making these.

I'm looking for blanks that aren't on the cute side and someing that a man wouldn't be embarassed to hang in his car either.

What's a good number of blanks to purchase to test and to test the waters with?

I don't plan to jump into this until after the holidays. That's my R&D time.;)

TIA for all the help

I have a few sites bookmarked...haven't gotten around to them yet.

http://www.keystonecandlesupplies.com/

https://www.oakcourtcreations.com/ProductCart/pc/viewCat_h.asp?ProdSort=19&idCategory=47&page=4

http://www.bellandcompanytrader.homestead.com/products.html

It's on my after-the-holidays list, too.

I've never even bought a cardboard freshener for my car. How long do they usually last?

I have a few sites bookmarked...haven't gotten around to them yet.

http://www.keystonecandlesupplies.com/

https://www.oakcourtcreations.com/ProductCart/pc/viewCat_h.asp?ProdSort=19&idCategory=47&page=4

http://www.bellandcompanytrader.homestead.com/products.html

It's on my after-the-holidays list, too.

I've never even bought a cardboard freshener for my car. How long do they usually last?

Thanks very much for the sites for the blanks. I book marked them all so I can go back and look or order later.

I have no idea. I'm wondering if the scent has to be cut with DPG. I think it does but I could be wrong. Then I will have to get cello bags. I can get the elastic cording locally

But again, it's for when things settle down after the holidays. I will be putting up a website then too.:yes: :wave:

From the reading I have done, you just paint the straight FO onto both sides of the blanks, and let dry for 24 hours. I have the sites bookmarked and the idea of how many of each im ordering... so hopefully after my last craft show for this year, I will give em a try..

I use the blanks from Bell and Company Traders. I paint both sides with straight FO, let dry, then bag. I will try selling them for the first time at a craft fair in November and will report how they sell. I have had one hanging in my car for over a month now and I can still smell it. (Scented Clean Cotton).

I have dogwood in my car and it is so strong I put it under the seat.Still smell it real good and has been a month. Hanging on the mirror was to strong but going to see how it is so I can hang back up.No sense it being under the seat.

LynnS

I have only sold 4 but it was kinda slow at one show and the other was mostly candle sales.I did sell for $2.00 and some had no problems with

that.

I'm new at these too, but I don't think you want to cut the FO. It soaks into the blanks really well, and I think "strong" is what you want, cause they will die out some as time goes on.

DH went to a snowmobile swap this weekend and I gave him a doz blanks to take with him (they were snowmobile blanks). They were gone within 1 1/2 hours he said, sure made me mad that I didn't have more for him. Now, I really can't say if people bought them just cause it was a snowmobile, (those snowmobilers are obsessed about their sleds), or if they really liked the way they smelled. I hope it's cause they liked the way they smelled cause I have more on order and they aren't snowmobiles this time.

I charged 2.00 ea. or 4 for 7.00, that's what I saw someone else here on the board selling theirs for.

Edited because I can't add

Diamondgirl,

The ones at Bell and Company Traders give you a choice of colors.I am going to check the others because I would like to find some animal ones.Yes if there is a sport etc people will buy them. I found people like the angel and star.One man who was real sick brought one(angel) and asked how much.He said to his wife add this to what we get.He was elderly walking with a walker.I hope that angel watches over him.

LynnS

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to bring this thread back around. For an unanswered question and one of my own. Does anyone paint these? I was thinking it is a special paper right? paper is absorbant for both oil and water. What if you painted with water based colors for decoration. Then waited until they were dry and then 'painted' on the FO. Would that work????? or use oil base colors and mix with the fo?

oh and does anyone know how to make the paper? I have a friend that makes paper. Anyone got any more in depth knowledge of it? I don't come up with much in searches

I have experimented with stamping on the blanks. I actually Scented them first and then stamped. It actually works okay as long as they are really dry. I don't use the DPG and I don't think you need too. I think you can easily get 4 weeks out of one and longer if you really scent them. I am trying to figure our how early you can make them and package them before selling. I am testing a few now. I think you probably could paint them and then scent them without any trouble.

Good question Freezin on how early they can be made. I was thinking if they were packaged in the right bag that the scent would be held in there, but not real sure about that. I'd sure like to start now since I have some shows coming up, hate to wait till the last minute to have to do this. Anyone have any experience on this?

I'm new at this too....I put mine in a polypropelene bag and sell for $2.00 each. My friend took them to work and was out before the day was up. I had yellow angels and pink ribbons. I just got a new shipment in last week and ordered twice as many as last time. I just paint the FO on with a brush and then take the brush and clean it with acohol for my next scent. I order mine from bellandcompany. They have different colors and their price includes shipping. Very reasonable!

The ones you buy at the store I'm sure have been made up for some time. I think packaging is the key here!

Okay, now I was going to use cello bags, will those work you think. I just had some on hand, and so instead of ordering some polypro bags I figured I could use the cello. But actually I don't know much about cello, I only know that polyeth is a no-no and polypro is a yes-yes.