How to make large orders of candles? Anyone?

Ok so I have been making candles for a while now, but I'm starting to take off..which is great..but how the heck do you guys out there that have really been making the money do this..I have several candles, differnt scents for each candle and not to mention colors for them..please any ideas suggestions I am so looking forward too..right now I do everything in the pour pot then pour into container,,so tedious,,is there any other way????!!!

Thanks..do hope I get some answers..have lots of candles to make!!!

I am not sure I am understanding. Are you asking about production techniques? What is it that you feel needs improvement?

right now I do everything in the pour pot then pour into container,,so tedious,,is there any other way?

Sure. You can make an entire Presto of 7# of wax all colored the same and scented the same and use the spigot on the Presto to fill the containers. Then make a batch with a different scent, etc.

I have a presto, but that just seems like more work than I need. I am only making 1-5 candles,,here's an example I have 40 candles to make..most of them are individual scents and colors, a few might be lucky enough to have 2-3 of same scents color..those are great, its all those individual ones..did that help ya? It just makes it a long long day to get them done, but guess this is the way right?:sad2:

Unfortunately..that's how we all have to do it! The old fashioned way! LOL! It is alot of work but it is very rewarding! i love it! It is relaxing for me! I just got done making 11dozen assorted scents for a lady who wholesale's from me! But...Ionly do containers! i used to do votives and melts..but I make more money on the containers than the others...so I don't offer the others only on request! Good Luck! ;)

Kimmeroo

When you are ready.... for really large orders, go with the Turkey fryers...

I have 12 plus.... I have 30 plus pounds of our most popular scents, all scented, colored and ready to go..... then I have a couple that just have unscented, so I can make what needs to be made, but I always have 60 plus pounds ready..... and I refill often. I make at least 200 candles a day (with 1 employee) but this is working.....

The Surf 'n' Turks cost about $100 each, but if you hold off until January you can find great clearance deals... got quite a few for $33 each at K-Mart...

HTH

I can't see an easier way of doing this. I started out doing candles to order, and to an extent I still do, but if I know it's another scent/color combo that is popular, I'll make two or three at at time of that particular candle. 40 candles can be made much quicker than you think. If you don't have a Turk n Surf you should invest in it. Best investment I made. I did a fundraiser with 195 candles and one Presto, I could only pour 14 candles at at time (these were 9 oz hex jars) and it took forever. My next order for 95 candles was done in one afternoon (and only that long because I had run out of space and had to get creative where they cooled).

I'll be making about 100 candles this weekend in Christmas scents in about 15 different scents and melts & votives for baskets, etc. for my open house the following weekend...you can do 40 faster than you think! Enjoy it! Put on some holiday music and get to pouring!

Made to order with color/scent/jar seems like a huge amount of work to me. I'd never be able to keep up with that. There aren't enough hours in my day as it is! Kudos to you for having the time and patience to do all of that. When I do batches all the candles are the same color/scent/jar. I make a big batch and pour, then move on to the next batch. Sorry I don't have any tips for you. It sounds like you'll have to stick with the method you're already using.

I have a presto, but that just seems like more work than I need. I am only making 1-5 candles,,here's an example I have 40 candles to make..most of them are individual scents and colors, a few might be lucky enough to have 2-3 of same scents color..

OK. Now I unnerstand mo' better. :DIt sounds like you are making ONE candle at a time! You could "gang" your orders somewhat...

If I had a number of candles to make, first, I would sort things. For example: I have 15 orders for jelly jar candles, 12 orders for small palm wax container candles, 3 orders for large palm wax container candles, 8 round palm wax pillars and 24 soy wax votives. I would work each of the major product categories at a time.

So, let's work on my fictional jelly jar soy wax candles.

I would add up (roughly) the amount of wax I will need to fill those 15 jars. So if I am using 6 oz. of wax per jar, 6 x 15= 90 oz. (or 5.625 lbs.) total. Since the Presto will hold about 7# (unmelted) of wax, it will easily hold ALL the wax I need to make these candles. I would overestimate and melt up 6# of wax. Have several pour pots on hand and a heat gun. I would already have cleaned the containers and wicked them the day before.

So, of those 15 candles, 3 are the same color & FO, 2 are a different color/FO and the rest are all singletons. Figure in advance, how much FO and dye you will need for each "batch." Set the FOs you will be using nearby so you don't have to go hunt them down.

When the wax reaches the temp where you add your FO and dye, ladle (or use the spigot) 18 ounces into a pour pot, and add your dye and FO, stirring constantly. When your pouring temp is reached, pour the candles. All of these can be knocked out in 30 minutes after the wax has melted.

The key is organization and "ganging" your work as much as possible.

Sure, this is tedious, but the only other alternative is to offer a shorter line of containers, shapes, fragrances and colors and keep them in stock, or make what you think people will like and just sell those. :wink2:

Making candles strictly to order is much like being a short order cook. :undecided You have to decide what quantity is worth you firing up the Presto. You might decide to make one extra candle for each "ordered" candle you make, so you will begin to build up a reserve.:wink2: HTH:D

I have a calculator next to my scale and figure out how many lbs of wax I need for each scent. If you have one presto pot (or other wax melting device) that can hold the majority of your melted, unscented, uncolored wax, you can measure out the amount you need for each scent, mix in the FO and color, let cool a bit, then pour into the container. Wipe out the pouring pot with the paper towels and then I douse mine with rubbing alcohol between scents to kill it all off between batches. Then repeat with each scent/color. This way you don't have to wait for each batch of wax to melt before coloring/fragrancing.

It goes really fast and you don't need more than one presto pot this way... of course, it's still only for small scale production!

Oh, I also wick the containers with RTV sealant several hours before pouring. I line up the containers with the scents I'm pouring so I don't get them mixed up! I also have a paper plate that has all the colors with how many drops of what it took to get to each one written on the plate next to the drip. That helps tremendously!

-Kristi

These are some very good ideas!!!

As for me, depending on the size of the order and how many colors or fo's I need, I may use several pour pots as I have 5...but then again I also I have a presto pot, that can melt all the wax I may need for one big batch, depending on the size.

My motto is: Simplicity! So try to make your steps simple without damaging the quality of your candles and you might find it much easier to do larger orders.

I have definately found that when I have a batch of orders to pour (I also pour to order) it has helped me tremendously to figure out ahead of time how many of ea. scent: # of jars, weight of wax, weight of oil...write it all down ahead of time...then I weigh out ea. oil (I have individual glass containers for ea. scent that are labeled) and line them up. Wick my jars, write which wick is in ea. underneath in case I am pouring scents that need wicking up, so the jars don't get mixed up. I also have multiple pour pots going, and keep rotating them, I use similar scents/colors in the same pour pots...and I am fortunate enough to have a huge 150# melter, so my wax is always ready to go...